Classical music, opera, musicals etc

No-one went to see the Ring...?

Do you know that feeling when you come across a piece of music that literally makes a tear/s fall down the cheek ?

Well I came across such a piece a few days ago.

Andrea Bocelli singing the main theme for Cinema Paradiso.

His own version, called ‘Il Nostro Incontro’.

The changes are breathtaking.

For anyone that likes Bocelli even a little, I highly recommend you have a look at ‘Love in Portofino’.

I purchased it on Itunes, but the full concert is available on DVD / Bluray.

Bocelli’s extraordinary voice, backed up by some wonderful musicians, and the Portofino Orchestra.

Not to mention the best open air venue for a concert I have ever seen.Simply stunning.

I so wish I could sing like that (even remotely) !

1 Like

@bltn, will have a look (for) it.

I have 'A night in Tuscany' which I love, it's also an open air venue and beautiful. 

Thanks miss ellie,

Will certainly check out ‘A Night in Tuscany’.

Here is the recorded version of the song I mentioned earlier…

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOtU0T7bCE

I think after hearing that a few times, I definitely have to watch this movie (Cinema Paradiso).

Apparently the whole musical score is beautiful.

Thanks will have a listen, later (Christmas shopping taking up too much time).

Cinema Paradiso, watched it a long time ago (black & white) liked it,  have they made a new version or are you going to watch the oldie? 

Thanks will have a listen, later (Christmas shopping taking up too much time).
Cinema Paradiso, watched it a long time ago (black & white) liked it, have they made a new version or are you going to watch the oldie?

There are two versions of this film. They released a longer (much) directors cut that includes footage that was 'cut' out of the original. IMO the original is superior and leaves more to the imagination. Score is terrific as is morricone (the mission and the good bad and ugly to name just two)

Thanks, 1962.

No-one went to see the Ring...?

was a bit too pricey for me.  Some day *sigh*

off to see Tosca tomorrow.

Thanks miss ellie,
Will certainly check out 'A Night in Tuscany'.
Here is the recorded version of the song I mentioned earlier...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOtU0T7bCE
I think after hearing that a few times, I definitely have to watch this movie (Cinema Paradiso).

Finally found the time.

Beautiful. Thank you.

Thanks miss ellie,
Will certainly check out 'A Night in Tuscany'.
Here is the recorded version of the song I mentioned earlier...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOtU0T7bCE

Finally found the time.

Beautiful. Thank you.

Clearly, you have excellent taste in music miss ellie !

saw Falstaff yesterday.  Brilliant! Lovely to see an opera where someone doesn't die for once! :P

Dr Who and the MSO next weekend.

saw Falstaff yesterday. Brilliant! Lovely to see an opera where someone doesn't die for once! :P
Dr Who and the MSO next weekend.

Where was Falstaff on?

it was one of the Met simulcast ones at the Nova

We’ve got the Royal Ballet Nutcracker at Balwyn on Sunday. Should be good.

the Dr Who Symphonic Spectacular was.... symphonically spectacular! It was hosted by Peter Davison, who was the 5th doctor (although we knew him better at the time as Tristan from All Creatures Great and Small!) There were all sorts of characters from the show that would appear at different times and walk around the audience (or roll in the case of the daleks!).  The music was beautiful and for some pieces there were haunting soprano touches, provided by Antoinette Halloran (who we saw last year as Violetta in La Traviata).  Simply stunning.

I am soooooo ■■■■■■ they didn‘t do Earthshock: The Opera.

Just got back from seeing the Royal Ballet’s Nutcracker at the Palace Balwyn. Fantastic. Spectacular production, very traditional, and they’ve been doing it every Christmas for 30 years. The dancers and the production team all love it, and it shows. It’s such a great score: every melody is familiar and every one’s a winner. My personal favourite melody is the Waltz of the Flowers; I can remember hearing it many times on the kids’ section of the 3 LO breakfast show, sorry, programme, more decades ago than I care to remember, and I’ve always loved it. The Sugar Plum Fairy and her Prince are the big stars of the show, and they were both sensational. I also loved the Arabian dancers; the woman’s midriff was bare and there wasn’t a millimetre of fat there, just every muscle working in plain view …

I think they’re also showing the Paris Opera Ballet production of the same ballet later in the season, so it will be interesting to compare it. Next up is the Royal Ballet’s Giselle.

This is about what I didn’t see, ie, the Royal Ballet doing Giselle on a movie at the Palace Balwyn. Arrived clutching tickets just before midday, to be told that there have been problems with the distributor and the screening was cancelled. It’s been rescheduled, but I can’t go on any of the new days. Bummer.

doh!

what's next on your calendar now?

We’ve got Don Quixote on 9 March, which I think is from Paris, then Sleeping Beauty (aka La belle au bois dormante), definitely Paris, on the 16th. After that it’s the Royal Ballet’s Sleeping Beauty on 20 April. It’ll be interesting to see which of Paris and London has the better sleeper.