Coaching restructuring

Great appointments.

PG has been so impressive as VFL coach that the logical next step was to be an assistant at AFL level.

Kelly takes up the role of development coach which essentiailly is looking after the 1-4 year players plus being an assistant at the VFL games.

Skipworth understands the 2017 and beyond game, i’m excited to see what he can do with the midfield.

2 Likes

The “in game” match coaching would, in my opinion, be dealt with mostly or at least equally by the senior players. I doubt that anyone on this forum has the expertise to analyse what goes on from the bleachers or their TV chairs.

The team’s building. Why make wholesale changes to the coaching staff just for the sake of it?

For me its pretty much the reverse. When Woosha started at the club, he appointed someone he was “comfortable with”, in fact his mate Guy McKenna, as midfield coach. Now, after a frank discussion between the 2 , Guy McKenna has (been) moved on.

Stoked with Kelly but Skipworth as mid coach? would have rather a recently retired player.

Ah Yes. In 2 years he has taught them everything they know. But he hasn’t taught them everything he knows!!

3 Likes

If skipworth can reinvent the midfield like he did the forward line then 2018 LID OFF, he is rated highly as a coach internally

5 Likes

Has been at Essendon for a long time now I remember Matty Knights giving him a spot on our list haha

Someone tell Guy! He’s already cleaned out his desk!

I am a bit surprised at the criticism of Skipworth. As recently as last year there was a long running, angst riddled thread about fixing the forward line.

In one year ( I know he had good players available) he turned our forward line from a basket case to one of the top 3 in the AFL.

So why the continuous dissing of one of the most “successful” coaches at the club?

Go figure.

8 Likes

We did the 1 year playing into assistant coaching thing before it became fashionable yo!

As some one else posted if he can fix our midfield like he has done with the forward line then i’ll be ■■■■■■ stoked.

Love it.

It’s like the Club is rubbing the Skippy haters noses in their wrongness…

He’ll probably take over from Worsfold next. … :smile:

5 Likes

He’s already got another job. Been out the door for some time.

happy with Kelly as a coach.

The forward line is finally functioning for the first time in about 15 years and we move the coach who was in charge of them. Seems very strange

Sort of surprised we didn’t wait until the season was finished to try and coax any ex players just out of the game to come in as coaches

oh well at least that dud McKenna is gone

So Skipworth is going to be in charge of our midfield? OUR midfield?

Hope he enjoyed the one year breather, because it’s back to whipping boy next year for Skippy. Hahaha.

2 Likes

Performance Coach Mark Corrigan! (language warning)

4 Likes

Cos they want to see if Skippy can repeat the dose on the midfield

Knights era? Straight after Campo?

I get that, i am more worried if the forward line goes backwards, and if he can’t replicate that good work in the midfield it’s 2 areas screwed up