Coaching restructuring

It’s not that they have forgotten, it’s that they have no clue in the first place. Not one anti Neeld post has outlined the detail of where he allegedly went wrong. Numbsculls the lot of them.

2 Likes

Essendon until about 03 or 04
Freo under cuddles (failure, bottom 4), then head coach from then until '10 (failure, bottom 4)
Backed up Crazy vossy (failure, bottom 4)
And back here (spoon, and no success so far)

So yes, he was involved in success in 2000, as an assistant.
Since then, it has actually been a string of failures.

And we’re talking about the context of mark Neeld, who was midfield coach of Collingwood in 2010

1 Like

HAP,

You have exceptional talents of subjectivity and selective history.

1 Like

If i had to rate them i would have neeld ahead of harvey in terms of being better assistant coaches. If harvey wasnt a former player i highly doubt the club would have brought him back

Neeld was in charge of an awesome collingwood midfield in a premiership

Harvey has been involved in failure after failure

Subjectively he sounds like a moron every time I hear him speak, and he’s mates with Barnes and Wallis and solly who don’t sound much smarter.

Objectively, as far as I can see, since leaving sheedy’s panel in about 04, he’s been involved with two years of top 6 (followed by a crash out) and one year at 7th. In ~12 seasons of assistant and senior coaching. and every coach he’s been assistant to has been sacked, plus his own job.

As I say, if he didn’t play 200 games in red and black, he’d face far more scrutiny.

2 Likes

So what you said there is a little more balanced than failure failure failure. He has had some success.

Can any of you brainiacks enlighen on the process the club has to evaluated the coaching performance ? We have a whole team selecting /drafting players etc, is there some sub committee of management/board that is tasked with assessing coaching outcomes, does the club get “outside” imput etc. Clearly, with only one change to the coaching panel, whatever criteria have been used to evaluate “success” have suggested we certainly have near enough to TRB in charge.

2 of the board members (I’m sure you can work out which ones :slight_smile: )…scroll through blitz to get a judgement on the performance of the coach and they report back to the board with their findings. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

3 years of finals in 12 seasons is ‘success’.
Right.

Ooo who are they?

Like every other area of the club, the coaches have yearly/quarterly KPIs based on their own areas of responsibility and the overall performance of the football department/team @fire_and_irons. The executive team also run yearly anonymous surveys with the players, and get feedback 1:1 yearly from everyone involved.

It’s all very much like any other job when it comes to personnel reviews to be honest - but with higher stakes.

3 Likes

You’re one of course :).

Naturally I was taking the ■■■■.
Although it’s obvious that with so much knowledge of the inner workings of a football department, blitz knows everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to know what each coaches kpi 'a are.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a lot of internal " circle work", what if everyone is happily up each other for the freight, but results aren’t coming?, surely some sort of assessment against external criteria would be important ?

I wouldn’t call it ‘circle work’. It’s usually called a 360 degree review.

We have had an external party (outside of AFL) reviewing and providing recommendations during this season, for instance, which has been great. Prior to that a full review of the football department was conducted.

Mature age players from different clubs coming in with their own experiences are really good for providing feedback also. (one of these is now a coach, for instance)

Each area and individual have set KPIs. Just like if the commercial team doesn’t reach budgets, the football department has benchmarks that are constantly reviewed. As I said, it is not unlike any other professional job - personnel and team reviews happen regularly internally also.

The guys are also currently in discussions to do more work with people outside of the AFL sphere, but there will be more news on that in the future I’m sure.

9 Likes

If the KPI’s involve sitting on their hands we would be industry leaders

4 Likes

Thanks again, very heartened to hear your comment about working with people outside the AFL sphere

1 Like

We are also researching how the EPL set up their academies - we are most certainly looking outside of the fence. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

they also have budgets for the academies rivalling some of the big afl clubs.

I’m guessing maths isn’t your special subject?

Very funny…

I may be spelling out the obvious here but 360 degree reviews are a very typical tool applied in many professional sectors.

1 Like