Coaching Team Review - please make new plans for 2019

Have also heard this, and also that he doesn’t have the greatest reputation in the local Geelong scene where he’s from. It’s very concerning.

1 Like

Why on earth are we employing these people then!?!?!?!

5 Likes

Maybe, but he is right.

NEELD, the guy stank up Melbourne so bad, I am surprised he’s lasted so long at EFC

2 Likes

If our coaches genuinely believe that our first half is the way we want to play, then we are well and truly farked. Our first half was horrid, its just melbourne were also rubbish. It speaks volumes that they actually think it was acceptable.

5 Likes

If Harvey wasn’t an ex Essendon premiership player i reckon he would be getting it a lot worse. I’m amazed he has escaped without that much heat.

Was an assistant coach under sheedy

Went to Freo, made a prelim and struggled the rest of the time.

Went to Freo to help out Crazy Voss i think, the club imploded.

Came back to Essendon to work with Hird. Somehow has stayed under Hird,Bomber and now Worsfold. Our defence under him seems to have gone from bad to worse.

I would rather Neeld(who is supposed to be a real good develop of young players, which for some reason we have put him in a position that doesnt utilise his strengths) than Harvey. That’s how little i think of Harvey

Posting this again here.

Neeld knew the successful Collingwood game plan inside out. Tried to replicate it at Dees. Alienated senior players. Crushed young players careers. Completely destroyed the club.

So if he couldn’t bring a game plan he knew inside out across to another club. What hope did we have of him copying another program like Tigers or whoever we are trying to that he’s had no involvement in ever or in creating his own progressive one?

What the fark was the club thinking to have a role for him that was anything more than development if at all?

Pretty clear from Moloney’s comments what our playing group would be thinking and feeling like at present.

7 Likes

Exactly!
So far we have: Neeld - no good, Harvey - is apparently a “massive part of the problem”, Skipworth - can cook but can’t coach, Corrigan - isn’t respected by the players and has a bad reputation in the local Geelong scene, and Worsfold - is a terrible match day coach and can’t make a decision… FFS if true, why wasn’t this known ■■■■■■■ known before jobs were dished out and contracts signed.

2 Likes

I believe our problems are in the coaches box. Our team looks disoriented and unorganised. We’ve failed to adapt to the trends of the modern game and as a consequence we’re lagging well behind. We refuse to defend, we refuse to play a territory game, we refuse to pressure. That is all game plan and coaching. Why won’t we tackle & harass like Richmond? Why don’t we play a physical brand? When was the last time our players physically imposed themselves on a game? It’s all mindset and attitude, that must come from the leadership first, if the players then don’t buy in, they’re replaced with players who will.

15 Likes

That From the Coach: Round 6 video was soul destroying.
They looked lost for words. Actually they looked lost. If that’s what the team meetings are even remotely like then no wonder the team looks lost.

Actually I feel lost myself now, just so surprised we find ourselves here in this situation. Had high hopes for the team and the seasons ahead. Sure not all gone, but we have some rebuilding and restarting to do.

10 Likes

Very well put

Feel the exact same way, watching that video prompted my initial post.

1 Like

Look, Neeld may not be the right man for the job (I certainly wouldn’t lose sleep if he got the sack), but I don’t reckon there’d be a coach in the league that hasn’t alienated a player or two in their time.

3 Likes

Accidental early post - mods delete plz

100% agree with this. We’ve surrounded Woosha with absolute garbage. In terms of structure, it seems that Neeld is second most senior coach. He came from a club with players that farking hated him. He had no plan whatsoever but is “game performance coach.” What the fark that is, who knows. We’ve then got Skipworth, with all due respect to him, was completely irrelevant as a player but he’s in charge of the midfield. A critical role with a midfield that barely cracks in. 3 of the 9 coaches come from successful clubs. The rest are farking useless.

2 Likes

Shawry’s post is gold, two key points for mine:

• "Clarkson from Hawthorn has been the best at researching this. He has a great capacity to analyze and then TEACH as a system." People bagged out Ross Lyon for years about his gameplan, I argued with anyone thought he couldn’t coach (including a few on here) that it didn’t matter if his gameplan sucked, what was important was that the players under his watch always EXECUTE it.
  • "Hawthorn’s development, recruiting and more important THE PLACEMENT of their left footers was no fluke." You need to give coaches a time to work with recruiters and list managers to develop a list appropriate to the gameplan. That’s why sacking coaches every few months has gone majorly out of vogue. Hawthorn/Sydney/Geelong seem to recruit and develop better than every other team because they recruit players that will work in their system!
2 Likes

Neeld was also under fire for his hard lined approach with senior players at Melbourne. Major criticism is that he rode the players too hard.

“Came in with a big stick to change the culture and straight away whacked the senior core who quickly became disillusioned”…
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/why-melbourne-coach-mark-neeld-was-fighting-for-his-job/news-story/5353278b6bf897d88e539259ad7f24e9

Are you suggesting we are being too hard on the senior guys Speedy? Should we ease up on them?

Who knows what the ■■■■ they are saying behind closed doors. Whatever it is, aint working. Simple.

A territory game is pretty easy to play really but we make it look so terribly complicated. I will ask this one question, how do you play a territory game when you constantly allow the opposition a spare or two in your forward line? What is the plan Woosha? It’s not a territory game that’s been proven so successful over the past 8 or so years.

1 Like

I thought Longmire coached Sydney in 2012.

1 Like