Coffee machines

Variable caffeine tolerance is definitely real. Any caffeine after 2pm for me guarantees a night of insomnia. Morning intake up to 3 espresso shots is fine. Over that, I get heart palpitations and general hyper-alertness, neither of which are terribly pleasant. But I have friends who can drink espresso all day and late into the night with no ill-effects.

Whatā€™s your brew time at on the Aeropress? All the contact times Iā€™ve ever worked with were shorter than pour-over (1:15-1:45 vs 2:30-3:30).

Iā€™m not aware of any research on other paper filters, but the Aeropress has been shown to reduce cafestol and kahweol, which then reduces the cholesterol problems with other brew methods.

The usual stat that gets thrown around is 30minutes for the caffeine to take effect and 3 hours beyond that to half life in most adults. iā€™ve often found the rate that your body processes alcohol a good approximation o how itā€™ll process caffeine.

1 Like

Just be careful if your planning on a upmarket semi auto or auto machine. Iā€™ve had a couple of Juraā€™s at work which have a great reputation. One was great and we pretty much wore it out. The new one not so good. Aussies for whatever reason like there coffee hotter than the rest of the world. This expensive machine just didnā€™t get the coffee hot enough. Try before you buy. The manufacturers will tell you of course you are burning the coffee. However unless you are a true connoisseur most say itā€™s warm.

I hate hot coffee, tastes terrible.

1 Like

IMG_3752

Aldi pod machines have their uses.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Iā€™ve had the Aeropress for a year or so and recently bought the Delter. Unfortunately I just struggled to get the Delter to produce anything as strong as Iā€™m after (I use the inversion method for the aeropress).

Iā€™ve tried different grind sizes/beans/etc but just not having much luck.

1 Like

Sounds like youā€™re an espresso man.
Hard to beat the Italian Moka Pot for price, ease of use, quality etcā€¦

5 Likes

Part of the problem here is the marketing for the Aeropress. It will not make what I would consider an espresso style coffee. You might be able to get an approximation by using the able brewing disk filters, a nearly espresso grind, total brew time of less than 1 minute (inclusive of the press) and as much arm strength as you can muster. A typical starting point brew ratio for espresso is 2g water for every 1g of coffee. It can commonly drop to 1.5 to 1 or as high as 3-3.5 to 1. Without getting too technical this will be somewhat dependant on how you grind, the consistency of the grind and the brew water temp. As a guide, If itā€™s an espresso youā€™re after, you could have a crack at grinding close to espresso, using 28-30g freshly ground (as in with the last 3-5 minutes) and hitting it with 45-50g water immediately off the boil. Some of that will sound counterintuitive, but the Aero and the coffee will act as a heat sink and drop the temp of the water. Even just the distance the water has to travel. If you try this recipe inverted, only draw the plunger in enough to allow for the volume of coffee slurry youā€™re creating. And when you press donā€™t press all the way down, only until the top of the ā€œpuckā€ becomes visible. The last bits in the Aeropress tend to be a bit manky. From this as a baseline, youā€™ll know if you need to adjust anything. If you use hotter water, youā€™ll likely get a stronger extraction that will remain a bit more balanced, if you up the dose of coffee, the perceivable acidity should increase and some increase in body, if you grind finer youā€™ll probably get a watery bitter result. I want to caveat all that by saying without knowing the coffee youā€™re using or the grinder these suggestions can also be taken with a grain of salt. Most coffee roaster out there now started as baristas and the way they were taught to make coffee dictates a lot of their methods with the roaster, myself included.

I havenā€™t brewed with the Delter, but the company I owned previously is selling them and thatā€™s usually a pretty good endorsement. I doubt it would get me to get rid of my Aeropress.

FWIW I brew 99% of my coffee at home using the plastic Hario V60 2 cup and itā€™s got the best bang for buck as far as delivering consistent coffee every time. It costs about $12 plus the filters and I always know what Iā€™m getting. When I brew with the Aeropress I get it about 80-90% of what I expect, but thatā€™s going to come down to me not brewing with it every day. Filter coffee isnā€™t to everyoneā€™s taste, but itā€™s way easier to get a good one repeatedly than it is with any type of espresso machine.

4 Likes

Anyone have recommendations on coffee beans ?

I like a strong, full flavoured coffee and sometimes just buy the wrong bean. Got some really nice beans in Qld at Port Douglas; Four Mile Blend, really no idea where it was grown and it was $60 a kg.

And some reckon you store beans in the fridge or freezer, but others say no. Any advice would be appreciated.

Iā€™ll weigh in on the Fridge freezer thing. Fridge never, as your going to get condensation on the inside of the conatiner/bag and send your coffee stale rapidly. Freezer I used to say no about, but there is plenty of research out there now that shows the freezer is a good option. I keep mine at room temp in a fairly temp stable spot.

As far as coffee goes, since I got out of coffee Iā€™ve been on the 3000 Thieves subscription. $50 a month for Kg from a different roaster every month. Might not be what your after with it changing all the time, but it saves me from doing the leg work of sourcing coffee from different roasters all the time. This might be more what youā€™re after https://venezianocoffee.com.au/coffee-subscriptions/

1 Like

I bought a kilo of this stuff last summer from Castlemaine Market.
Pretty damn nice.

The guy designed his own Roaster and Wood Fires it using Redgum.
You can absolutely smell the wood as soon as you open the bag.

$31.50 per kg + delivery, so not too bad for Organic Beans.
Just search for Rocket Roast on EBay !

http://rocketroast.com/woodfired-roasting/

Probably a dark roast best suits that description. I like Botero Brass from nthn nsw. Full body with hazelnut and dark choc flavours. Can buy them online from their website.

Edit: https://botero.com.au/product/brass/

But probably any dark roast will hit your preferred notes.

The Dark Roast in Aldi has a fair few fans Iā€™ve heard.

Roasted by a fairly prominent roasting co in Melbourne, and a decent quality bean apparently.

1 Like

This is roasted by Veneziano who I linked above. I havenā€™t tried the aldi stuff, but venez have always been on the darker side of specialty coffee and it should be relatively easy to get hold of their own coffees or the roasted under contract stuff they do for aldi. I can usually smell it when they do the darker stuff from where I work.

1 Like

Extra hot is for the devil. Just pour boiling water into your cup first.

1 Like

Made my first AeroPress this morning.
Piece of p*ss to make and very nice cupā€¦very satisfying indeed.
Seriously, youā€™ll never go back to instant coffee, and I doubt French Press will stay in my rotation any more than once a week.

I watched a number of videos from the inventor Alan Adler, and he says consistently that his preferred water temp for brewing is 175F.
I waited till my water was off the boil for a few minutes, and brewed at 185F.

I used the Delter yesterday, which is slightly different as the coffee grounds are separated in there own compact chamber, until you are ready to plunge the water thru (no immersion like with the AeroPress).

Not sure which of the 2 I prefer yet, but both are a wonderful coffee experience.

2 Likes

If you canā€™t be arsed waiting for it to cool, chuck some cold water in the freshly boiled kettle. Youā€™ll figure out a ratio pretty quick.

Paper weight?