Coffee machines

2 Likes

I got a sample pack in from a local roaster who so far seem pretty good.

Like I said, I am unqualified as yet to assess quality all that well but these guys are very reasonably priced, claim freshness and have very good reviews.

I tried my first three shots with the remaining supermarket beans I had on hand and yeeted each of them.

Thereā€™s quite a number of roasters doing quite a trade in Adelaide now, which is unsurprising considering weā€™ve long been Australiaā€™s best city for coffee.

One of the main selling points on the Pro for me.

How do you make good coffee with bore water?

2 Likes

You entertain it first.

3 Likes

ā€œyeetedā€

great word. :+1:

1 Like

Hmmmm, Cibo isnā€™t that good!

Correct.

But thereā€™s a proliferation of little cafes in which I find it difficult to find a bad coffee.

1 Like

This meme has aged.

You need 2-3 million for a house in Sydney.

2 Likes

My last couple of bags were from these guys.
No complaints.

Theyā€™ve got a good YouTube channel, though more directed towards the pro barista.

2 Likes

Trigger warning - I get as good (albeit a little inconsistent) coffee out of this set up as I can from any of the cafes around town.

2 Likes

I think aside from the obvious(melbournes large italian community) the secret to a good cuppa when ive ever visited Melbs has been the cities outstanding water supply.

Imho its one of the great clean tasting waters in cities around the world.

I dont know if its hard or soft but its just fantastic.

We are lucky in Sydney in terms of the Ph, tap here is perfect for espresso machines, scale buildup is almost non existent.

3 Likes

What does everyone is for reusable coffee cup, (thinking as a Christmas gift)

I like one that has a lid (just in case) but I drink out of it like a regular cup not. Hate drinking through a lid.

Already got

• frank green with push button top (the push button gets water stuck in it) but the cup itself is high quality stainless steel.

• keep cup. Donā€™t like the plastic, and the plastic top ends up tasting of dishwasher soap

Brew it in the Pyrex beaker then filter it through that little strainer? Does it end up with a lot a coffee fines in the bottom of the cup?

Just an immersion brew like a French press, no reason it couldnā€™t make decent coffee

Yes & yes haha.
I donā€™t think the latter would be as much of an issue if the hand grinder was more consistent.
Because the grinding section can move laterally what comes out the other end varies from a fine powder to very coarse chunks.
But yeah, the bottom 1-2mm of my cup by the time Iā€™m done is almost pure sediment, although I can minimise it by pouring very slowly through the strainer rather than dumping it all in there.

Iā€™ve had a bunch between Mrs frosty and me over the years

Keep Cup - plastic was my go to for ages, but sat in the cupboard during covid, and now I canā€™t deal with the smell. Have the glass one. Good. Although the lid is harder to get on/off than the plastic ones. On the plus side of you lose a piece you can go down to keep cup central (Abbotsford) and get a new bit.

Frank Green - plastic version push button. I like it without the lid, and the lid seals well, but donā€™t like drinking through the lid. Harder to clean, but the advice on their website says fully dishwasher-able (just open the push button), so that it good. Always a risk that the barista will overfill and you wonā€™t be able to put the lid on without making a mess.

Uppercup - not sure if still exists. Every barista stopped and commented on how cool it was. Lid was initially an issue to get on/off but they fixed the design. Not leak proof or spill proof, just a regular lid like on a take away paper cup. After covid one of the plastic lids had deteriorated and needed to be turfed. The other one is fine. This was nicer to drink out of than the old plastic keep up, and easier to clean than the Frank Green.

Since covid I have bought 2 more

Stokke - nice to drink out of without the lid. The lid doesnā€™t is purely a splash proof type (their bigger ones have a leak proof lid option, but not the smaller ones. Risk that the barista will overfill and youā€™ll make a mess due to the way the lid fits into the cup. Keeps the coffee warm if that is something that you care about. Not dishwasher proof and the lid slider is not as easy to clean. As some others, especially if you leave it after finishing.

Fresko - stainless steel, screw in lid that is shaped like a normal plastic lid, but with a fold over cover. Not recommended for dishwasher apparently, but very easy to clean anyway. Also keeps your coffee warm. Edit: also can spill if overfilled

My answer. None of them are perfect. It really depends on your use case. Grab a coffee from the local coffee shop at home, then drink at your WFH desk is different from drink a coffee on the train/tram and throw it in your backpack when done etc

I like most of them at least a bit. And most of them have one thing Iā€™d like different!

1 Like

Outstanding reply @frosty. Great info for all. Appreciate it

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Funnily enough you listed all the ones that popped up in a quick google.

I think Iā€™ll stick with the frank green cup, and then just buy their ā€˜capā€™ which doesnā€™t have the push button lid. I donā€™t drink through the lid, so just to cap it and put in the pocket or bag.

The only other one that I might have a look at which might make a good gift, was one shaped exactly like a paper cup, but had some artist designs.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know the cap was a thing. Now I am going to have to get one as solves the ā€œpain to cleanā€ problem, and I donā€™t really need a sipper lid!

1 Like

$15, and they come in pale pink, pale green or white.

1 Like