Coffee machines

I use a $7 kettle.

Anyone got a recommendation for service/repairs on a Breville Dual Boiler?
Ours in need of some TLC, suspects leaking/cracked somewhere inside.

Bayside Sth/Sth East suburbs preferably.

Thanks all!

Corner of Hawthorn and North in East Brightonā€¦on the 64 tram route.

Coffee machine repairsā€¦itā€™s still there, even 15 years after I left the area. Saw it last week.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used the J&T Electrical in Ashburton before

Looks like have a shop in frankston too

1 Like

Not quite SE, but Espresso Fix in Balwyn do a good job on all machine types

How are you finding the WDT tool? I just got mine and my coffee has gone up a level. no bad shots(well a LOT less).

I like cheap things in Coffee that make a difference and a WDT tool definitely does.

This is what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0B9YNZP8P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I think a WDT tool and a precision basket are what you need, they are just cheap upgrades that have an impact to improving your end cuppa.

I am hardly tamping my coffee. Not sure if fancy spring loaded tamps are really required?

How have you found it?

2 Likes

Was already using distribution tool but the addition of Normcore bottomless portafliter, dosing funnel, and WDT, made a big difference in consistency of shots.

Will get a spring loaded tamper to upgrade the stock one and a puck screen. All the gadgets.

Having the thing serviced has helped as wellā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Still the shop on the SE corner of Hawthorn and North in Brighton does a pretty good job.

I ended up using Coffee Addict 4U in Highett. Close and were open when I needed to drop it off, whereas the guys in Brighton were closed over that festive period.

They did a great job and threw in a bag of a fresh blend to try, which as it turns out were pretty good, so may consider switching it up if I can work out a convenient regular collection/delivery.

I wouldnā€™t bother with wdt. Iā€™d get a knock off Weber distribution cup and spring loaded tamper

Is that this thing?

My tamping is literally resting the weight of the tamper on my coffee, spinning it to smooth the surface and thats it. No downward pressure.

Whats the spring loaded tamp doing?

After using the wdt tool to break up all the clumps and make a fine level coffee bed.

Instantly saw my shots pull consistently as i wanted them. (Same volume over the same time and same viscosity of espresso)

I think WDT or basically carefully breaking all the tiny clumps up is important if you dont have a coffee grinder that runs into the thousands of dollars with big flat steel burrs.

Least Iā€™ve come to that conclusion after enough inconsistent coffees through my setup.

1 Like

Nah this. But thereā€™s cheaper knock offs everywhere.

You should be applying some pressure. Not much just some.

The spring ones are self levelling. So double tamping them generally gets a nice flat surface.

Iā€™ve said all this but I just go by feel cos Iā€™m fine with 90% quality for spending half the time of weighing out. Properly distributing etc etc.

ah got ya.

The wdt has worked massively well for me after giving it a go. I thought 15 dollars why not?

I was getting very frustrated at one good shot then duds in comparison.

But its probably just any distribution technique above tapping the side and using my palm.

Im not applying any pressure down just a spin of the tamp so the surface is flat and smooth and happy with the results. But i get what you say about a spring loaded one basically creating a flat bed everytime.

The bought a magnetic funnel, maybe same sort of idea just smaller?

Probably dont need both but it was cheap. Thats mainly so when i fill up the basket at the grinder i dont spill any grounds

1 Like

I forgot all about thisā€¦

I did find it made a difference, but itā€™s also quite possible that Iā€™ve just gotten a little better at the basics too.

Iā€™ve found my preferred bean from a roaster about 5 clicks away, set my grind and times etc on the Breville, honestly havenā€™t done much fiddling since. Life has been somewhat busier so far this year.

1 Like

I was bored, clicked on amazon and got one.

And its made coffee better

1 Like

Tumbler plus gravity distributor is pretty fool proof a lot can go wrong with manual wdt and the spiralex ones if you go to fast flicks the grinds to the outer edge and too slow doesnā€™t evenly distribute.

But again I donā€™t do any of that. Just gravity distributor and 2 pushes of tamp and run until the coffee runs a bit thinner and call it a day.

From the unfortunately named products dept.

Nothing like the taste of a good Balzac in the morningā€¦

3 Likes

What if you prefer a good teabag?

1 Like

After reading so much in this thread for years now I finally actually bought a machine rather than just using the aeropress. Solis Batista Perfetta Plus. Seems to be going OK so far, and the workflow is so much more satisfying than the aeropress.

Obviously taking some time to dial in the grind etc, but have been generally happy with the results (using the normal baskets and grinding my coffee, it comes with pressurised baskets and a pod basket as well, but stuff that). Steam is also pretty good.

3 Likes