Coffee machines

No activity in here for a while.

Am awaiting some obscenely expensive (for me) beans to be Shipped from the US.

I’ve been French Pressing for the last year, and I like that.
Being Italian, I’ve used the Caffettiera (Italian Moka Pot) all my life, so I bought a cute little Bialetti 1 Cup.

Having read thru the thread again from start to finish, I think an Aeropress for $45 sounds like a good purchase.

Since I’m only making 1 serving each time, therefore only using 10-12 grams of coffee beans, I’m thinking a decent hand grinder will do the trick for both espresso and Aeropress ?

Thoughts…

Porlex mini grinder or if you see yourself getting an espresso machine in the future, I would recommend the Breville Smart Grinder.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions.
Looks like both are quality.

The Smart Grinder can be bought for $200.
More than I thought I’d be spending on a grinder, but given I want to interchange between French Press, Espresso & AeroPress, it makes sense to invest in a machine like this.
Online reviews on it are very good also.

Cheers…

Smart Grinder usually goes on sale and can be purchased around $150. Just wait for the next sale or keep an eye on Ozbargain.

1 Like

The wife wants this…anyone got it? Recommended or not?

Personally I think those fully auto machines are over-priced pieces of junk, usually producing coffee inferior to even a basic capsule machine.

But on the other hand, happy wife happy life.

1 Like

I think a good quality auto machine is a better option than a full blown manual machine in the hands of joe average. There’s real skill in operating a serious espresso machine that even many pros never truly perfect, let alone a semi interested amateur.

3 Likes

I don’t really want it because of the cost. I’d prefer to go buy one from 7/11

1 Like

There’s a new aussie one that recently hit the market, is supposed to be better.

We have an earlier model of this at my office.

I love it and if you find a bean you like and get the grinding adjustment right (and it is not hard) then it makes a good consistent brew. The new models fix one problem in mine and that is water temp, as I like coffee hot and my model was not quite hot enough. I get around that by filling the tank with water from our instant water heater the rest use for tea. I saw this model at Harvey Norman and they made me a brew with their own branded beans and it was hot, strong and good flavoured. Cleaning is not that tedious, and even using the steam to make cappuccino is ok.

Thanks Bacchusfox. I’m not that fussy about my coffee, but I do enjoy my milk nice and creamy after it’s frothed. Funny enough, my Aldi milk frother is pretty good.

At work tonight and my boss has bought a Lelit Giulietta so we can wheel it around and make coffees at special functions etc. Problem is that the dude responsible for all this (that’s supposed to train us) can’t get it to work.

So I get asked to sort it out despite the fact that I have never operated a coffee machine and am a heathen who quite happily drinks instant. Half an hour later I walk back in cappucino in hand (yeah I know, had to make sure the steamy thingo worked). Not bad, I hope they get some decent beans.

1 Like

Former Barista pretentious wanker coming out here.

good espresso coffee is all about adjusting.

adjusting to how old the beans are, what grind you need, beans x require a different setting to bean y, but depending on how long you’ve had them another setting entirely.

timing, temperature, pressure on tamp.

honestly its not worth it, just learn how to do good pourovers.

4 Likes

Given I’ll probably be using “Tightwad Boss Blend” those pourovers sound like my best option.

I think you’re referring to this one ?
Guys are based in Brisbane.

1 Like

That’s the one! Discovered it a week after I bought my aeropress :laughing:

1 Like

Looks like an Aeropress, costs $5 more than what i paid for an Aeropress.

I have a De Longhi Magnifica too, but I’ve stopped using it in PF, partly because you have to use tank water (town water here is horrible), but mainly because my entire social interaction is at one of the coffee shops here.

1 Like

I haven’t used either of them yet, but from the tutorial videos I’ve seen the Delter works a little differently to the AeroPress in terms of how the water interacts with the coffee grounds.

1 Like

Would not recommend any of the “super automatic” espresso machines. The boilers in them crap out often enough that I’d never recommend one.

This is a reasonably accurate statement, but having been in the business of selling these things, I always tried to steer customers towards any kind of filter/immersion brewing instead of espresso. Espresso is difficult to do well and far more wasteful and therefore expensive.