Concussion Sub should not be allowed after half time

Last night what’s his face went off in the third quarter, close to the time the sub would usually be made anyway. This allowed Caddy to come in (admittedly got smacked around) and have a light run, while the other player had a 20 min rest. Then made a different sub in the last quarter.

If teams wanted, they could ‘concussion’ sub a player who’s underdone to rest them for the last quarter, while giving their sub a chance to get the pace of the game.

I’m not saying it cost us the game either, it just seems like if the injury happens at a certain time it’s advantageous.

Was Taylor that went off (was legit too, got an accidental knee in the head from Carlisle). Agree that it's subject to being exploited but I don't think any clubs have nefariously done so as yet.

Wait, he went off for a ‘concussion test’. Why did he come back with a strapped leg then?

Wait, he went off for a 'concussion test'. Why did he come back with a strapped leg then?

Went off with strapped leg though

Should be simple enough - if you go off with concussion, you shouldn't be allowed back on. I thought that was an AFL rule, though they change them around so much it's hard to keep up.

That is the rule. But there’s ‘going off for a concussion test’ and ‘going off for a concussion test’.

Then its quite simple.

We take advantage of that rule, especially if it wins a game for us, then the AFL will change it.

There should simply be no 20-min sub. You play with a man less until u give up and make the swap. Why should it be different from someone hurting a limb, for example?

Taylor looked all over the place even back on the ground. Not a great look all round.

Are they evaluated by an AFL doctor or club doctor?

To avoid it happening just get them done by an independent doctor. That way noone can fake it

Yeah I was thinking the same. I think it can be exploited as well. I don’t think it should not be allowed either.

What? Since when has there been two different types of subs? I thought that once someone is subbed off, and the sub has come on, that was it.

What? Since when has there been two different types of subs? I thought that once someone is subbed off, and the sub has come on, that was it.

Since this year. You can now also do a concussion test sub (lasts 20 minutes) — that either becomes a proper sub at the end of that period, or the not-concussed player goes back on and the sub dons green again.

Could be abused, don‘t think it has been yet.

Since this year. You can now also do a concussion test sub (lasts 20 minutes) — that either becomes a proper sub at the end of that period, or the not-concussed player goes back on and the sub dons green again.

Could be abused, don‘t think it has been yet.

Can't keep track of this sport.

I dont mind the rule.

It stops coaches being forced to send guys back on that probably shouldnt be. Get to have them assessed properly and not have the team penalised by being one down. If he tests all clear he comes back on.

I dont mind the rule.
It stops coaches being forced to send guys back on that probably shouldnt be. Get to have them assessed properly and not have the team penalised by being one down. If he tests all clear he comes back on.

Do the AFL have a doctor who tests as well as the club doctor?
edit: I ask because I imagine the scenario where a gun player gets knocked out in a grand final with the game on the line. A club doctor may well be persuaded by coaching staff to "just let this one slide, mate."

How he was not concussed from that mystifies me. I wonder throughout the brief history of the rule how many players have played concussed

Essendon should ask the AFL for an amnesia sub, to be used for players who have forgotten the game plan.

H Shaw.

Now that's concussed.