Confirmed AFL trades

how can the Hawks afford Frawley, they have to be paying these guys under the table, there's no way they are all paid legitimately.

They lost Franklin

And gained McEvoy, and had about 8 blokes re-sign on career best years & typically the premier pays out a bunch of bonuses.

Very very big bucket they have.

Or maybe they have good club culture and players who want to be there...

To a man, they're leaving hundreds of thousands on the table for the privilege if that's the case.

You can hold a list together for a little while on that, seems your average footballer will forego one big contract and then sweat on getting a big payday for the next one. The Hawks are doing that indefinitely, & adding more and more to the mix every year. It doesn't add up.

Is the Ned Kelly look still a thing?

To a man, they're leaving hundreds of thousands on the table for the privilege if that's the case.

You can hold a list together for a little while on that, seems your average footballer will forego one big contract and then sweat on getting a big payday for the next one. The Hawks are doing that indefinitely, & adding more and more to the mix every year. It doesn't add up.

They lost the highest paid player in the comp only 12 months ago because they couldn't get near Sydney's offer.

it at least deserves a bit of scrutiny.

off the top of my head guys that they have poached with the lure of coin

- Burgoyne

- Gibson

- Hale

- Gunston

- Macevoy

then have a look at the entrenched stars

- hodge

- mitchell

- birchall

- roughhead

- lewis

Yes some of those name may on $ just under 500 but that's 10 players would think between them would be averaging 600k at least b or roughly 60% of the cap. Add Frawley to that and you are probably looking at 65% to 70% at a rough guess.

then have a look at the younger guys now pushing up who would be asking for big pay days

- bruest

- smith

- hill

- shiels & langford have both entrenched themselves now as very solid contributors

- suckling

There is another 6 who would think would reasonably be worth at least 400k on the open market give or take and that is another and there is another 20% to 25% of the cap.

that is 17 out of a list of 45 or so including rookies.

There numbers would make for interesting reading.

does make you think it might worth throwing a bit of coin at hartung or anderson or lowden to try and pad our list a bit.

Gunston and Hale would be on a lot less than 500k. Gunston's next contract would be tending towards that figurer, but for now, I would imagine as 22yo he would be somewhere on 300-350k.

Hale is on two-fifths of fk all. I reckon I earn more than him.

yep so that is 2 of the big ticket list. people don't think the coin that roughhead and hodge are might offset those amounts.

Gunston and Hale would be on a lot less than 500k. Gunston's next contract would be tending towards that figurer, but for now, I would imagine as 22yo he would be somewhere on 300-350k.

Getting great value for money out of Gunston at that range. ROI is massive.

does make you think it might worth throwing a bit of coin at hartung or anderson

Happy to do so. But convincing promising young players from a team that just went B2B, to come to ours, is about as likely as Lou Reed and Michael Jackson making a dubstep record together.

I'm not sure what he is on now but when they got him he had 2 years left on ~ $400k at North, Hawks were only able to afford him because North were paying some chunk of that in his first 2 years there.

Has since re-signed, so that figure has changed but can't imagine it would've gone down too much as he has barely missed a game at Hawks.

I find it hard to disagree with Ivan's figures, if you assume "guns" - (AA, leadership group types - Hodge Gibson Roughead Rioli Mitchell Lewis Burgoyne) get $500k and "good" players (Hale Lake Gunston Whitecross Birchall Breust Puopolo Suckling Stratton Shiels McEvoy Smith etc) are on $300k - just over the league average of 270k, then their bottom 24 players -must be on about 123k each.

League minimum is 85k or so, and that includes guys like Litherland Langford Simpkin Duryea Hill who have played for a year or two, as well as maybe 10 guys who've barely been seen.

He probably left Adelaide because he didn't like the water & took a paycut to do so.

how can the Hawks afford Frawley, they have to be paying these guys under the table, there's no way they are all paid legitimately.

They lost Franklin
And gained McEvoy, and had about 8 blokes re-sign on career best years & typically the premier pays out a bunch of bonuses.
Very very big bucket they have.
Hawthorn...the
Sydney of the south.

I know playing footy professionally is a LOT better than shovelling ■■■■ for a pittance and a lot of the guys on AFL lists would have very few attractive alternatives. But to me, the league average should be a lot more than 85k. That's not a lot for what you have to do.

I'm not sure what he is on now but when they got him he had 2 years left on ~ $400k at North, Hawks were only able to afford him because North were paying some chunk of that in his first 2 years there.

Has since re-signed, so that figure has changed but can't imagine it would've gone down too much as he has barely missed a game at Hawks.

I find it hard to disagree with Ivan's figures, if you assume "guns" - (AA, leadership group types - Hodge Gibson Roughead Rioli Mitchell Lewis Burgoyne) get $500k and "good" players (Hale Lake Gunston Whitecross Birchall Breust Puopolo Suckling Stratton Shiels McEvoy Smith etc) are on $300k - just over the league average of 270k, then their bottom 24 players -must be on about 123k each.

League minimum is 85k or so, and that includes guys like Litherland Langford Simpkin Duryea Hill who have played for a year or two, as well as maybe 10 guys who've barely been seen.

forgot about rioli

I know playing footy professionally is a LOT better than shovelling **** for a pittance and a lot of the guys on AFL lists would have very few attractive alternatives. But to me, the league average should be a lot more than 85k. That's not a lot for what you have to do.

the league average is a lot more the 85 but it perhaps misrepresents just how many professional players are on significantly less than the average.

I know playing footy professionally is a LOT better than shovelling **** for a pittance and a lot of the guys on AFL lists would have very few attractive alternatives. But to me, the league average should be a lot more than 85k. That's not a lot for what you have to do.

the league average is a lot more the 85 but it perhaps misrepresents just how many professional players are on significantly less than the average.

The league average (main list) is about 270k odd, increasing all the time as per the CBA.

Minimum (main list) is about 85k, more for early round picks.

Minimum for rookies is 50k or so

No I understand that.

I wonder how many players would be on or close to the 85k minimum.

Rookies are not paid enough either. 

I also wonder what the difference is between the minimum amount you have to use of the cap and the limit is. Is it 97% you have to use? So what is the value of that gap, $300k?

I bring this up with a view to potentially keeping the cap relief Ryder's departure will give us, holding it over until next season and chasing someone next year. I wonder how much we can keep to play with

He probably left Adelaide because he didn't like the water & took a paycut to do so.

Gunston was on whatever the standard figure is for a 2nd year player at Adelaide. Doubt it was much more than 100k. He wanted to come home and although Hawthorn would have offered him more to shift TomsDons is right it will be his next cointract where he gets rewarded.