Consumers getting screwed

Unfortunately I doubt it. The only way would be if you complained about it earlier to the agent and nothing was done to remedy the situation. They replaced it within days. Having said that, if you explain the situation to the gas company yourself, you may get some sort of discount. Only lose time.

If you have an Energy Ombudsman or similar in your state, it might be worth a call to their office.

Having said that, years ago I took on a new role at work that required me to be away from home most of the working week. My electricity bill increased! The company involved weren’t interested in my pleas.

Yep, probably even in WA.

There will be a Consumer Affairs Dept somewhere in State Government that will handle your complaint, and they are very effective in Victoria.

Did they always have access to the gas meter at your old place?

Most places do, but if they had been using estimates and underestimating until they did an actual read when you moved out, you cop the difference.

Happened to me with electricity years ago.

1 Like

Do you like Bunnings?

Yeah its BS. What would be nice is for it to actually be a realestate selling point to tenants. (energy efficiency).

But look if its costing you and your on a lease to stay there for a while.pay for the repairs for yourself. You will save money. The time and effort chasing the landlord to put their hand in their pocket isnt worth yours.

When the fix has been made, write a polite letter to the agent, pointing out the maintence you had done and the savings its made. It will only reinforce you as a good tenant, one the landlord is unlikely to raise rents on.

Every landlord is different though. My old man is one in retirement. He automatically raises rents every year by a percentage amount. But he also automatically fixes everything a tenant needs fixing.

Yeah so this is todays Australia Post.

Gives themselves bonuses.
Pays to advertise Pauline Hanson.
Takes a week or longer to deliver a letter.