Cooking

Slightly off topic but if you're looking for pots then I'd look around at the op shops for pressure cookers. They are usually built to a very high standard because of the danger of them exploding. Pressure cooking is out of fashion, and they take up a lot of cupboard space, so they tend to be fairly easy to come across. So you'll pay loose change for a big pot that'll last forever.

I wouldn't be buying anything that's likely to explode if faulty, from an op shop. Sure a safari suit and platform shoes, but a pressure cooker hmmmm

Do not let incompetents clean it though.

Or "get a new one every now and then..."
well considering cast iron can last 100+ years, seems a waste don't you think?

Replacing the incompetence every so often.

Bugman told me I was doing the dishes wrong just after we moved in together (Almost 7 years ago). I haven't done them since. Just don't let your wife do the dishes. I'm sure she won't be upset.

- megz

I did a quick search of on-line reviews and it seems neither of those two brands live up to their claims or get very high reviews. Sorry.

I'd like to see a demonstation of stone/flavour/ceramic-dine style cookware after a year of use. It works terrifically well straight out of the box.

Slightly off topic but if you're looking for pots then I'd look around at the op shops for pressure cookers. They are usually built to a very high standard because of the danger of them exploding. Pressure cooking is out of fashion, and they take up a lot of cupboard space, so they tend to be fairly easy to come across. So you'll pay loose change for a big pot that'll last forever.

I‘m still traumatised by the time one of them exploded when I was a kid (well, the valve did, the frame was fine). Very very loud at close range and the entire kitchen, including the 12-foot ceiling and me, was finely covered in the mist of dinner.

$20 job from Kmart. Replace it when needed. Easy.

Do most of my cooking in the slow cooker anyway.

Cooking??? That's what KFC, Maccas and HJ are for.

I wouldn't be buying anything that's likely to explode if faulty, from an op shop. Sure a safari suit and platform shoes, but a pressure cooker hmmmm

Yes. I'd be very wary of any op shop offering a free pressure cooker with every safari suit. On the other hand, offering a free safari suit with every pressure cooker would well be worth considering.

I‘m still traumatised by the time one of them exploded when I was a kid (well, the valve did, the frame was fine). Very very loud at close range and the entire kitchen, including the 12-foot ceiling and me, was finely covered in the mist of dinner.

Mmmm. The mist of dinner...

Does anyone have one of these Thermomix gadgets and are they sufficiently cracked up?

Does anyone have one of these Thermomix gadgets and are they sufficiently cracked up?

Yeah. My Mrs bought one a few months ago. You can do a fair bit with it. 

Are they a pain to clean? Would you say it makes things a lot easier than pots, pans and ovens?

Are they a pain to clean? Would you say it makes things a lot easier than pots, pans and ovens?

I've found that it is very easy to clean but I honestly don't use it as I don't know how. It is a bit like a high-tech blender that can either cook or chill that has an inbuilt scale that allows you to add ingredients without using measuring cups etc. It is definitely a "one-pot" device and is quite convenient. You can make pretty much anything in it. 

Are they worth the $2,000,000 price tag though?

I've found that it is very easy to clean but I honestly don't use it as I don't know how. It is a bit like a high-tech blender that can either cook or chill that has an inbuilt scale that allows you to add ingredients without using measuring cups etc. It is definitely a "one-pot" device and is quite convenient. You can make pretty much anything in it.
Are they worth the $2,000,000 price tag though?

If your wife needs a lift in the swagger stakes, thermomix can help, cheaper to get a kitchenaid though. But it does a lot less.

Cheers.

I've been thinking about getting one, ie, the new model, but the price....hmmmmmmm

I've seen somwone making soup with one of those Thermomix machines and the person using it said it was the best kitchen device ever. It did look pretty impressive. The soup was nice. And quick.

I've seen somwone making soup with one of those Thermomix machines and the person using it said it was the best kitchen device ever. It did look pretty impressive. The soup was nice. And quick.

Thermomix Australia won a Shonky Award today.

What's a Shonky Award?

Thermomix Australia won a Shonky Award today.

Apparently for bringing out a new improved thermomix without advertising it. Odd.

Nothing's making sense.

My experiences with thermomixes mirror marathons. In that, no one would get involved in them if you couldn't talk incessantly about it afterwards.

1 Like

Choice award Shonkies to businesses that have behaved crookedly over the past 12 months. The Commonwealth Bank was also a recipient.