Cooking

One can buy liquid smoke from usafoods.com.au
Pretty strong, you dont need to drown meat in it, can be used on salads or anything, really.

Yeah, I just want to keep it as real as possible, but I hear that stuff is actually quite authentic tasting.
Lol, the yanks invent so many food additives.

Ā 

MMmmmmm mesquiteĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦ I smoke chilli's using mesquiteĆ¢ā‚¬Ā¦ soooooo good.

Have you got a recipe?
I'm using pellets, so the smoke isn't too intense,

Ā 

recipe? I get some hot coals in a spit roast thingy, put the woodchips over the top in a thick layer so they smoke but don't burn, then hang the chillis (JalapeƃĀ±o) above that using flywire and put a lid on top. leave overnight, then into the oven to dry them out. Just grind them up in the spice grinder when i want to use them. You can use them fresh too, but I do a batch of 3kg's or whatever the plants have produced that season, use a few fresh and dry the rest so they last me the year.

Ā 

And of course, I also add some REAL chilli. SmokedĀ JalapeƃĀ±o are delicious but there is no heat there.

Ā 

I'd started on building a proper charcoal BBQ right before the ex-wife decided she wanted to keep the house. :(

Ā 

One can buy liquid smoke from usafoods.com.au
Pretty strong, you dont need to drown meat in it, can be used on salads or anything, really.

Yeah, I just want to keep it as real as possible, but I hear that stuff is actually quite authentic tasting.
Lol, the yanks invent so many food additives.

Ā 

For interests sake, they smolder whatever wood they are using, collect that smoke, condense it, filter the liquid, and there you have it. Ā No additives or nuthin'.

Ā 

I bought some pecan liquid smoke and it's delish. Not quite the "real" thing, but close to it suppose.

Ā 

Ā 

ps, if you're trying to make us jealous of your smoker, it's working......

Tatonka Dust FTW

EPIC STEAK

1 Like

So, I bought a blender that can actually cook soup due to the friction of the blades. Makes a brilliant tomato soup!

Liquid smoke is just about the worst thing ever (no exaggeration) just smoke properly, itā€™s not hard.

Liquid smoke is just about the worst thing ever (no exaggeration) just smoke properly, it's not hard.

Trouble is finding papers big enough for a side of lamb.

Ā 

Liquid smoke is just about the worst thing ever (no exaggeration) just smoke properly, it's not hard.

Trouble is finding papers big enough for a side of lamb.

Get it? Get it?

Just cooking some jalapeƱo poppers for the first time.

1.5 hours on smoke.
0.5 hours in the oven to crisp up the bacon.

(Currently they look like busted ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , so Iā€™ll post later if they work out.

Things were going ok

Until I wandered over the neighbours ā€˜have a beerā€™ they said ā€˜sure, sounds great I saidā€¦ā€™

Anyone recommend anything gluten free for my vegetarian wife or best just let her go?

Kidding - need some new go-to food though.

Why does Vego = Gluten free?? I tried some glut free stuff just out of curiosity, & i wouldnā€™t wish any of it on my worst enemy (other than every AFL pr1ck complicit in our shafting).

Itā€™s completely unnecessary other than for celiacā€™s ā€¦ , itā€™s a huge beat up. If unsure track down the report they did on it on ā€œThe Check Outā€ mandatory viewing along with media watch.

And Iā€™ll add a plus one for cast iron pans. Have had two frypans and a camp oven, (which is the greatest thing for bol sauce) that Iā€™ve had for 30 years and theyā€™ve survived perfectly despite being dragged all round the country and cooked to death at times on campfires. Cast frypan is the best way to cook a steak IMO.

Just make sure to season it properly to begin with, and once every 6 - 12 months depending on use.

Couple of good info linksā€¦ (use the oven seasoning method in the first one :slight_smile: )

wikihow.com/Season-a-Cast-Iron-Skillet

seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Iā€™m cooking red lentil curry soup, Moroccan lamb meatballs and green beans in sauce today. I love having days off work.

Why does Vego = Gluten free?? I tried some glut free stuff just out of curiosity, & i wouldn't wish any of it on my worst enemy (other than every AFL pr1ck complicit in our shafting).

Itā€™s completely unnecessary other than for celiacā€™s ā€¦ , itā€™s a huge beat up. If unsure track down the report they did on it on ā€œThe Check Outā€ mandatory viewing along with media watch.

Because she is a vegetarian that now has to eat gluten free by recommendation of an endocrinologist.

Thanks for your words of assumed stupidness and overall doubt.

Why does Vego = Gluten free?? I tried some glut free stuff just out of curiosity, & i wouldn't wish any of it on my worst enemy (other than every AFL pr1ck complicit in our shafting).

Because she is a vegetarian that now has to eat gluten free by recommendation of an endocrinologist.

Thanks for your words of assumed stupidness and overall doubt.

Gluten free is totally unnecessary unless medically required. Itā€™s become the new black for hipster types & companies are making swathes of dough off it, by convincing people itā€™s healthier for them & it isnā€™t.

You left out the medical necessity part in your post, in case you didnā€™t noticeā€¦ so, youā€™re welcome .

Yeah sorry, iā€™ll just take medical advice from you.

Pull your head in. A free bit of advice to you. Youā€™re welcome.

Whatevā€™s, sorry sheā€™s crook, it sucks, but just went on your 1st post, & by that, there was nought wrong with mine.

Yeah sorry, i'll just take medical advice from you.

Pull your head in. A free bit of advice to you. Youā€™re welcome.

Is most paleo stuff gluten free?

Head to your best local cafe and see what options they have. Barry in northcote (ok, they call it westgarth down that end) has 2 fantastic salads, you could substitute the one or two ingredients for something gluten free.

While youā€™re there go up to Terra Madre and they have every kind of organic, gluten free, non gmo etc product youā€™ve ever laid eyes on. Itā€™s a yoga pants dress code, all day everyday.

http://barrycoffeeandfood.com/BARRY_MENU_04.pdf

Arenā€™t you in ballarat, beastie?