COVID-19 - politics, blame and point scoring goes here

How do you get this alternative messaging across if the media landscape is so fixed?

What we really need is media ownership laws and far more regulation.

And good luck with that

Gee.
I wonder how that’ll be reported.
POWER GRAB!
FREE SPEECH IS RUINED!

It is what it is.
Hopefully the voters can see this bill for what it is. Not for what is widely reported.

1 Like

Oh I know I’m not cool.

Proof: I read bills for fun

:face_with_monocle:

Call me quaint, but I like the ye’ olde pariamentary system of examining whether bills are good before they become law, not after

Hey not knowing spelling or grammar is totally cool these days. I have redeemed myself

1 Like

1 Like

how bout nah

Oh, does he not have to face a corruption inquiry anymore?

just suddenly cares about his fam

I get what you mean, but I started assisting in framing laws in 1973 and it seemed to me there was often unintended consequences. Maybe @bigallan has a different experience.

Laws like this bill are mostly procedural and just open up an easier path to getting things done, in times of crisis. I actually do not think a pandemic is a crisis, like a fire or flood, or other natural disaster, but it has been shown that no government anywhere had much preparation in place.

A few years ago, I would have said that you can trust our Governments not to screw us over, and while I am pretty confident in Dan and his Gang, I cannot say the same for the current Feds. Seems to me that without the powers that the States have, we would be well and truly stuffed from COVID’ probably worse than USA.

Can this bloke just seriously Fark off

2 Likes

Pathetic people

"Anti-vaxxer extremists have allegedly threatened to rape staff members working for West Australian Premier Mark McGowan, forcing him to shut down the electorate office.

Mr McGowan told reporters there had been a raft of threats after his government mandated the Covid-19 vaccine for most workforces.

“There’s been death threats, there’s been threats to rape my staff, there’s been people threatening to bomb my office,” he said on Wednesday.

“Someone turned up with an armoured car with a machine gun on the top.

“This is unbelievable conduct.”

I was more involved in conformity of legislation with certain treaty obligations - reflecting that the GG always asks , in signing a treaty , if our existing laws are in compliance with our projected treaty obligations .
Before a Bill is drafted, there is extensive interdepartmental consultation designed to eliminate wrinkles and to ensure that all portfolio interests are taken into account.
In my experience, the problems , or unintended consequences, usually arose with authority devolved by the legislation to Ministerial regulation or to designated decision makers which do not need Parliamentary approval ( or in some cases any tabling in Parliament)
There is often less consultation and in some cases , no scope for Parliamentary disallowance of a regulation.
Whatever the powers of individual legislatures to overturn regulations or other determinations, the more Parliamentary scrutiny the better the law.

1 Like

I think it’s about time we send them off to a leper colony and then nuke the leper colony.

1 Like

Great, but you missed the last criterion. That was:

“Support by the Murdoch media” And the results are…

Vic: big X
NSW: big tick

Haha! As if. They should just change their name to SBC and have done with it.
(Writing this while Mrs AT is watching the Sydney Ladies’ Chat Show on the SBC).

No mention of this on the SBC yet…

2 Likes

Bullwinkle or Adam?