COVID-19 Round 19 - Stick a Forklift in it

4 Likes

So eat more Monaco bars and Sushi? I can live with that.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not convinced the tests were accurate for the BA.4 and BA.5 variants. I tested negative 5 times on different RATs with a ā€˜coldā€™ during that wave, yet lost my sense of taste and smell on day 6.

What are the chances I got a regular cold that affected my sense of taste like my first COVID infection did?

The boosters do increase your resistance for at least a few weeks, maybe a few months, and immunity peaks at around 2 weeks after vaccine, so Iā€™d say maybe a month before you travel would be good timing for a booster? But are you going to actually be stopped from travelling nowadays? I think your biggest risk is being sick during your time away. Iā€™d be making sure your travel insurance is as comprehensive as you can get. That may be more important than when you get a booster.

1 Like

When you get that person that whinges about how we locked down for nothing, THIS is the reason.

The government did a pretty good job of getting businesses through too. Of course, some business owners complain about losing business due to lockdowns, but conveniently ignore that plenty of businesses went out of business in countries that didnā€™t have lockdowns.

6 Likes

Woke up with very mild throat and headache. Sense of fatigue. Dry nose yet RAT positive in seconds. Only add this far is mild sniffle. 3x vax. 50yo in Keilor. Gut says it was birthday beers at the Linc. Take care out there good people.

8 Likes

Bunch of lab techs in micro labs brushing up on their acid-fast stains as we speak*

*probably just run a PCR nowadays

1 Like

Get well soon!

1 Like

Dusting off my proven advice: Panadol, water and Netflix.

Best wishes.

7 Likes

Cases up around 60% this week from last week.

CDC now allowing access to bivalent vaccine for all people over 5, 2+ months on from last vaccine, saying ā€˜The updated booster provides broader protection against newer BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron variantsā€™. ATAGI is yet to follow suit, but if youā€™re eligible for a booster, it seems like evidence is mounting up about better protection from the bivalent booster.

If you have symptoms, amongst other recommendations, remember to test and get access to antivirals as early as possible if you are eligible, i.e. 70+, 50+ with 2 additional risk factors, 18+ and moderately or severely immunocompromised.

Still not close to the mark. Hospitalisation doubled in the last week, actual case numbers would x2 and then some. Which is why itā€™s a pointless metric now, for all the reasons previously mentioned in this thread. But I guess it probably still gets likes and retweets on Twitterā€¦

ICU hasnā€™t moved, give it a week or two to see the lag effect.

1 Like

I think itā€™s still a useful metric, even if not accurate. Itā€™s a lead indicator for hospitalisations, and at least roughly indicates if cases are rising, steady or falling.

Hospitalisations are probably the most accurate metric we have though.

Hopefully death percentage continues to fall due to improving treatment and access to medications, so it shouldnā€™t be the most important metric to track waves.

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

At the presser, CMO Kelly said a deal had been struck with Pfizer, involving two shipments ( no date of arrival given)

The recommendation in Hong Kong is the 2nd booster ( 4th shot ) is only for high risk groups or if travelling overseas- I suspect that when the omicron specific vaccine is available the health authorities may broaden their coverage for a second booster shot - Anyway with so many being vaccinated and or infected there is not such a need for 2nd booster shots.

2 Likes

@glu - I had the same - loss of taste and smell and my lungs were hit hard. I couldnā€™t take a deep breath without feeling like something was grabbing my lungs.

I was convinced it was Covid but RATs and PCR negative and then I tested positive for very mild symptoms of a cold about 4 weeks later.

1 Like

One shipment towards the end of next week and the other a day or two later. Havenā€™t been given the exact date just yet but will see further correspondence in the next few days

5 Likes