COVID-19 Round 19 - Stick a Forklift in it

That makes much more sense.
For some reason I thought you have arbitrarily decided that 5mil die every year :joy:

That page had good stuff that really puts it into context:

Those are statistics. Itā€™s the story behind the statistics that matter, and different people commonly tell different stories using the same statistics - often based on their own pre-existing beliefs & biases.

The very first bit of information at the top of the report under 'key statistics was:

In 2022, there were 144,650 deaths that occurred by 30 September and were registered by 30 November, which is 19,986 (16.0%) more than the historical average.

And lets not forget that living or dying is not the only outcome from COVID. I have seen different studies quote long COVID outcomes from near 10% to over 20% of those that test positive. Purely economically, the US has estimated the affect of long COVID alone to be around 10% of GDP. Speculatively, cumulative effects of subsequent infections could push this figure much higher.

I havenā€™t seen someone attempt to add on the effect of deaths, mental health issues, interruptions to workflow and supply chains or the added burden of late diagnoses for other illnesses etc, but youā€™d have to think itā€™s going to be a significant sum, economically speaking, to say nothing of the social and health impacts.

I struggle to find any rational argument for COVID not being a big deal. Unfortunately, thereā€™s little most of us can do about its effects, other than get on with life, and hope for further breakthroughs and improvements in prevention and treatment. Just please donā€™t argue that it isnā€™t a big deal.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Tinnitus is a symptom?

I donā€™t think the great overlord minds too much if the mainland is seen by mainlanders to be outperforming Hong Kong which, letā€™s be fair, has been poisoned by degraded western values for 100+ years.

1 Like

Huh? What did you say?

1 Like

I feel like every neurological symptom of long covid is also a symptom of shift worker syndrome.

5 Likes

Very true

That has a certain ring to it.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had pretty much permanent tinnitus for the last two years, much worse recently.
I put it down to shift worker syndrome and my misspent youth, which Iā€™m still not convinced it isnā€™t.

I never wore earplugs for loud music (mine or someone elseā€™s).

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your ongoing struggles.

Are they mostly post COVID infection, or just after vaccination?

1 Like

Thanks Glu. These all presented soon after my vaccine in Nov 21, I didnā€™t actually get covid until June 22 which ironically was a knock-out headache for two days but no lingering symptoms after.

For a lot of people Iā€™ve spoken to it each covid infection has aggravated their reaction-symptoms or made new ones. Outside of the PoTs, platelet issues and chest pain everything else has continued to settle which Iā€™m thankful for.

5 Likes

7 digits of accuracy and yet you missed just over a quarter of VICā€™s population.

That Israeli study unfortunately isnā€™t very good. I wouldnā€™t trust its findings which likely significantly inflate the positive benefits.

Fair enough. Results from 6 other studies were also quoted. They all showed similar results.

1 Like

The new masks with the loop at the top and bottom instead of the side can be a little troublesome.

4 Likes

We are on a cruise and my wife has tested positive. She is quite sick. I insisted that they give her anti virals which they eventually did.
She is in isolation in our cabin. I am negative so far so am free to do what I want but cannot eat in the dining rooms.

3 Likes

Good luck @foxyjim. I hope the antivirals are a big help.

6 Likes