COVID-19 Round 19 - Stick a Forklift in it

I had my flu shot this morning and struggled on lunchtime swim. had to pull up stumps at 1.8km. (usually do over 2km) was cooked felt a bit off most of swim, could only put it down to flu shot.

1 Like

Me and Mrs had flu shot Saturday both feeling fine, she was in bed all day Sunday feeling really crap and tested positive Monday.

3 Likes

Some talk a few weeks ago that Peter Mac was gonna be re-introducing masks across all areas but didnā€™t eventuate. Still only required in patient facing/clinical roles. No changes to visitation.

2 Likes

Were you fully up to date with needles ?

I only ask because my Doctor tells me that most patients presenting with a bad COVID illness may have had needles early on but no subsequent jabs.

Take lots of Panadol, stay in bed and rest.

1 Like

I was last there Feb 16, but it was still an everyone-masked requirement?

All jabs are up to date with the 5th booster as recent as February.

2 Likes

Tested positive to flu, or COVID?

If youā€™ve just had the flu shot, you can test positive to influenza due to the vaccine, even if you donā€™t have the flu.

I donā€™t know mate, Covid test was positive. I did a google about it and all I could find was flu shot will not give a positive test.

1 Like

I was on leave at that time so not certain as to the requirements then but most definitely only patient facing roles (and patients obviously) at the moment, and even then itā€™s a pretty lax. 3/4 of the various cafe staff for example arenā€™t wearing them properly and the majority of non clinical/patient facing staff arenā€™t bothering with them moving through patient facing areas.

No, you wonā€™t test positive to COVID from flu shot.

You can test positive to flu from flu shot, so I was asking the question.

I hope your wife recovered well.

Can you? If you get a live-inactivated nasal vaccine (I donā€™t think these are even available in Australia, and are usually limited to use in children) I think itā€™d be highly likely there is a false-positive period post vaccination, but a standard subunit vaccine? Iā€™ve not seen anything indicating they lead to false-positive swabs.

1 Like

Yeah sheā€™s all good now thanks, but Iā€™m confused, can you get two lines in a Covid test from flu shot?

Nope not at all possible for flu shot to affect COVID test.

3 Likes

No you cannot, just another scare tactic from anti vax nutters

Mrs. K tested positive last week. For 3 days, she sounded like she was going to cough her lungs up. It was terrible.

Sheā€™s now doing the 40km Surf Coast Trek. Iā€™ve got a feeling that someone will be knackered by the time she gets home.

4 Likes

Firstly, I thought I was being clear, but to state it as clearly as I can, my comments have nothing to do with COVID-19, only influenza, as there seems to have been some confusion.

Secondly, Iā€™m not speaking as an authority on the matter. But I did have a recent experience that swayed my thinking on it.

My wifeā€™s sister headed over here from NZ a week ago to be at my mother-in-lawā€™s side, as she was in her last few days in a local nursing home. In order to be allowed to visit the nursing home, she had to have her flu shot in NZ before coming over, and have a certificate of vaccination. The next day, she was required to have a RAT test for influenza and COVID before entry, as everyone is on every visit. She had a weak positive test result to influenza on a RAT test, which would normally mean she wouldnā€™t be allowed to visit. Because she had only had her vaccination the day before, the nurse thought it likely that it was a false positive. She has not had any symptoms before or since. Just the usual sore arm.

Perhaps there was another reason for a false positive RAT result for flu, or perhaps she did come in contact with flu, but had no symptoms. Either way, the decision weighed in her favour on compassionate grounds.

Make of this what you will.

5 Likes

hard not to figure out what caused that drop.

oh and for the anti vax nutters who will blame the vaccine. Pinpoint when you reckon Ecuador stated administering the vaccine?

4 Likes

I havenā€™t had COVID, but I reckon since COVID I have been getting more colds and flus. Id be interested to see if thereā€™s any stats that back that up more broadly.

I also havenā€™t had COVID but only had 2 colds since Sep '19ā€¦last September and last month. The most recent one hasnā€™t completely cleared from the chest, and Iā€™ll be talking to the doctor about it Wednesday. Had the worst of the cold Good Friday, a while ago.

You mean administering Ivermectin?

Oh, Mrs. K got through her 40kms. Sheā€™s an absolute trooper.

5 Likes