COVID-19 Round 19 - Stick a Forklift in it

Don’t feel too bad, they were only mild.

2 Likes

The deaths are increasing in Europe at the moment also.

Qld CHO says reporting on deaths will lag ( as do cases).
When a death is reported, needs to be established whether the person has previously tested positive ( post mortem could go through Coroner)
NSW saying that some deaths range from 2-20 January , in Aged Care. Media Release gives exact dates of those deaths.

Are the death numbers at the moment because they are dying in Aged Care homes and only being picked up when the death certificate is formalised by the coroner?
There was also the odd, they had covid some time ago, recovered, were still immune compromised but died of complications.
It’s tough to know whether we’ve reached our peak numbers. There is so much undetected covid around that it’ll be tough get an early read on potential contacts unless the person is showing their own symptoms.

I think that, as a general rule, deaths in Aged Care are not subject to Coronial sign offs, more that the the records of +ve tests need to be reconciled with death certificates.
Kerry Chant said something about improving the admin procedures for matching the deaths in Aged Care with +ve tests. Deaths in hospital would be faster tracked if the person has been hospitalised following a +ve test and maybe that anyone else hospitalised is tested on admission.
Perhaps monthly stats on deaths would give a more reliable picture than daily or weekly stats.

1 Like

Taiwan’s covid management is worth studying and quite different to the heavy Chinese and Australian lockdowns.

This strategy focused on top-tier contact tracing and introducing early measures such as face masks, a strong hotel quarantine regime and being transparent with the public about the Covid-19 situation.

Maybe their more disciplined compliance and efficiency at implementation enables less govt control.
Some chance of international travel opening up in the northern summer to Japan and Taiwan.

Who is the player in the pic, introduced only recently in a post to supersede the earlier icon?

At least if they’re doing that kind of background on deaths, then hopefully we aren’t missing too many. I wonder how long after having COVID, that deaths are still attributable to it, or whether time isn’t a determining factor.

After reading that article the other day, I was concerned our deaths may be much higher than we had recorded.

No context at all. Is this the B varient? We have mutated our very own with let it rip?

Need more info.

BA.2. Been spreading in Denmark since Christmas(ish), amongst other places, but Denmark was where I saw it first flagged on the cov-lineages GitHub.

The stealth comes from it not having the ability to be detected as omicron in PCR via SGTF. There is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing what it actually means for the pandemic. Disease unlikely to be any more severe than BA.1 (currently dominant omicron lineage), but some very cursory evidence it could evade antibody immunity from recent BA.1 omicron infection (still needs confirmation and further research).

6 Likes

text2photo-14bec744f1262dd92e9742d73bbeef2a

12 Likes

ba1

And as you can see, SGTF only visible on BA.1

4 Likes

giving this a like because i assume it’s some really clever science joke

7 Likes

Neeeeeeerd!

2 Likes

NT mandates booster shots for workers in high risk sectors ( including Aged Care) , by 5 March or within 5 weeks of eligibility for booster.

1 Like

Marshall very upbeat today.
Numbers are falling and as of midnight tonight he has loosened some restrictions.

• Back to 50% density for hospitality
  • Paediatric elective surgery returns
  • QR codes gone from retail and businesses. Only needed for hospitals and high risk setting.
    Will look to convene fortnightly to further loosen restrictions
1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Is NatalieDons… is not good

It’s STEALTH though.
Covid has gone ninja on our ■■■■■.

AND. HERE. WE. GO?

2 Likes

My Rat in the hat joke got moved!

1 Like