Creative solution for next Premiership

Copied from the “Delistings and list Regeneration” thread, after I originally posted it in the “Tanking” thread. Haven’t gone through it and updated anything for what has happened over the last month or so given I wrote this in June. But heh, we don’t need original threads on Blitz!

A huge huge element comes down to a valuation of our list at year end, and how far off it they are. If it is possible to become competitors with only a few changes, fine, do it. But what if we’re realistically 4+ years away? If there is a view we just can’t replace the reduced output of Watson/Goddard/Stanton/Cooney/Chapman/Winders/Fletch ageing, Ryder leaving, Dempsey/Hibberd/Belly’s lost form, and none of Hurley/Carlisle standing up in the F50 with kids/trades coming through? Given we don’t just need to replace that - we have to improve on that to get a premiership.

There may be a valid view that this team isn’t good enough. I’m not convinced yet, but we’ll see how we track to the year end. There is a little bit of a feeling of 2004 and a changing of the guard. That year several perennial finalists fell out of the eight, and Geelong/St Kilda started their charge. GWS are looking to make finals, Bulldogs are on the charge, Geelong, Port have fallen out. But we’re nowhere.

So if we are out for the count for 4+ years, we should really do a deep cleanout. From the tanking thread I wrote as options to do a deep rebuild:

1. Wherever we have older players on the fringe of the best 22, trade or delist. To give youngsters opportunity. So Dempsey, Howlett, Gwilt should all go as they don't fit the age profile to be playing in the next GF.
  2. If we can move on senior players to clubs which might give them success, and us something back, do it. Especially if by using our salary cap we can get a good trade. So like Lake to Hawthorn - win, win, win. I'm thinking Stanton, Bags, Hibberd, maybe even Jobe. Guys who I would love to see have a premiership medal and if they can't do it for us, having given everything, and we got good value, let them go. Obviously a balance must be made as you need good seniors to guide the youngsters, so you wouldn't trade them all out. And only if they wanted to do it - if they want to stay here without success, fine. But consider it. Goddard and Cooney might also be considered tradeable. I would probably wait on Bags/Hibberd until next year (if ever), as I like the idea of the backline being stable for a little while.
  3. Look hard at the mid-age tier of Myers, Hocking, Zaha and Melksham. Decide if they are up to it, what they are worth. Ideally, this group would be still around to be the senior statesman and the non-champion core of the next push. But if any won't make it, maybe trade now while they have currency.
  4. If we have a surplus anywhere, trade out. Yes, I'm looking at the Carlisle/Hooker/Hurley dilemma. We don't need 3 tall KP backs. If there is a decision none are good enough as forwards (and I have personally disagreed with that on Carlisle) then one of the talls should go. Why have a best in the league #3 tall defender when instead you could have Stein and two good draft picks? Having a great #3 tall back is just not valuable enough to do it.
  5. I would probably let Belly go, as trading for rucks when you're closer to the window is quite common. Trade Belly now, use Smack/Giles and recruit some youngsters, and recognise we'll lose the ruck for a few years.
  6. Be more aggressive with who gets cut. Players like Kommer can't get 3 year deals. Pears should have been on the rookie list two years ago. If you're keeping a player like NOB around, give them some games.
  7. All the moves above will give a lot of salary cap space. Use that spare salary cap by either packaging it with players traded for better deals or target FA's who are in the 26 age zone and good. They should still be around for a premiership tilt. So like a Scot Selwood
  8. Target GWS. A number of teams have done brilliantly with deals for guys on their fringe who can't get games. Hopefully Edwards is such a steal for us. If we get picks from the above moves, look hard at giving them to GWS (or the players themselves if they want them) for youngsters. What would they give for Carlisle who fits their age bracket and needs?
  9. Don't be afraid to cut hard, and then give a group of mature aged players 1 year deals to ease the transition from this year to next. Nobody's tried it, let's do a mature age player PSD fight off! :)

In this scenario, the target should be to keep the core of the team who are 26/27 and under, and be trying to get value elsewhere. If we can keep Zaha, Myers, Hocking, Melksham, Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, JD, Gleeson, Colyer, Carlisle, Zerrett, then that gives us a pretty solid core, especially if other youngsters on the list (Laverde, Langford, McKenna, Dalgiesh, Jerrett, Kav, Edwards, Fantasia, Ashby) can develop as we hope. You probably also try to transition over 2 years so that you don’t go too deep in one draft (unless you have very good picks).

If we did that, you might end up playing a team like this next year:

FB: Baguley Hooker Steinberg/Fletch
HB: Hibberd Hurley Gleeson/Ashby/Dalgiesh
Mid: Zaha Heppell Colyer
Onb: Giles Myers Hocking
HF: Zerrett Smack McKenna/Fantasia
FF: Edwards/Laverde JD Langford/Ambrose/Kommer

Emg: two of Stanton/Watson/Goddard/Cooney, Melksham, Kav/NOB/Jerrett

Underlined players would probably be the only automatic first 22 players. Now, would that team win too many games now? No. But most players would be under 26, and we would probably have a good crack at a lot of games. Big weakness in tall forwards (duh), ruck (duh), and depending on how the youngsters develop the small forwards/midfield. But defence should still be solid, you can build around that. So blow outs should be minimised.

I suspect we would probably end up with somewhere in the range of 3 first round and 4 second round picks in that scenario. I’m assuming Belly + Carlisle get 1st round picks, Howlett gets a 2nd rounder, and between two of Watson/Stanton/Goddard/Cooney + salary cap + our 3rd round pick + Dempsey we get a further 2 2nd round picks. Obviously we start with a 1st and 2nd rounder already. Possibly depending on Carlisle’s price we’d have another first or 2nd rounder as well. You would probably try and trade some of those picks for upgrades given both our need for blue chip players and our recent success with later picks (say to use on a Brown or Tippa maybe).

So out Gwilt, Belly, Carlisle, Dempsey, Winders, Howlett, Chapman, Pears, 2 of Watson/Stanton/Goddard/Cooney, salary cap
In McKenna, Smack, a whole chunk of young talent (or traded players).
10 out, 3 promoted, 7 drafted in (maybe one/two used on late F/S selection, rest 1st & 2nd round picks) and 2-3 rookies drafted (depending on if Aylett is kept)
Targets would probably be another spare ruck (don’t spend big as you can trade for one later), 2-3 tall forwards, and smalls with pace and skills. No more back-flankers.

That would be extreme, but possibly doable. You would almost certainly end up with another good pick next year. It would be brutal, but if we’re not going to be contenders for 4+ years it should be done.

Edit: I would note with this approach that all the ‘young’ players get another year. So it’s 10 out (+ rookie spots), but all of Kav, NOB, Dal, Browne, Hams, Jerrett, Fanta, Stein, Kommer, Ashby etc get at least one more year (+ Fletch). So probably a second (mini) culling next year as well, when the draft is better.

So you are the Head recruiter at Essendon in July 2015. Paul Little has come to you and said his expectations are that the club is aiming for a premiership window in 2019. What are your next steps? What process do you take immediately to address the current playing list while looking into the future?

What is your draft strategy next 3 years? Who are you looking to elevate?

Looking for some creative suggestions from Bomberblitz? Go for it

2019!!! Talk about pressure. If you want to draft our way to a premiership, thats not going to happen by 2019…We might be competitive however.
This is my take:
Our list is aging and some of the guys wont be here for our next premiership so based on who will be there we have:

Player that most likely will be there come 2019
B: Hooker, Hurley, Hibberd
HB: Langford, Carlisle _______
C: Colyer, Zerrett, Laverde
F: Jerrett , Edwards, Zaka
FF: ----, Daniher, ------
R: ----- , Heppell, ----

Bench: Kav, Gleeson, ______ , ______

What I would do about the ruck
Draft a KPP player this draft in case Carlisle wants out. They take the longest to develop and rucks are the hardest to get in the draft as clubs are not prepared to recruit them in National Draft.
This draft:
Target:
Francis
Weidermen
Curnow
Tucker (as a Flank)
Possibilities:
Trade for Peter Wright: Not a pure ruck, but 200cm and can pinch hit the ruck. If that fails:
Trade for Andrew Phillips from GWS and go to the draft next year with Jeremy Goddard from Claremont.

I would be looking to trade the players not listed above if they are out of contract in the coming years for the best fit while also looking to bundle a pick or 2 to get lower picks inside the top 20 for years to come and fill in the missing voids where possible. I would look at player open to trade from opposition clubs, but only if they wont cost us the farm (which Dodoro is doing a good job in). Mids are a dime a dozen at the moment. Good, KPP are not. So I would look to them first. Once they are down pack, then go for the young mids.

Also I will play with Carlton’s head and take their first pick if they are good, so they get a Boekhurst…

I’d say we need the following…

• poach the best recruiter in the land. Brad Lloyd.
  • poach the best developer of talent. Brendan McCartney.
  • poach the best fitness staff in the league. Whoever handles Sydney as they never seem to have a long injury list.
  • I’d poach the best development orientated coach in the current VFL or SANFL and get him to be our VFL coach. I’m not sure if Skipworth is good enough. We need better.
  • scour the VFL, NEAFL and SANFL for every player who is between 22 and 25. Try to find two mature age prospects.
  • I’d consider trading Carlisle for a first round pick. The aim is to get the best midfielder at our pick and use the next one on Harley Valid. Harley reminds me of Zaharakis in an odd way. Having both in the same team would help bridge the gap between us and best teams over the next few years.
  • If we can’t get a trade with Carlisle, I’d target a few developing forwards for depth. Aaron Black or Spencer White would be great pickups. Black would be worth a 3rd round pick and Spencer White be for anything afterwards.
  • I’d target Zach Clarke and give him full time ruck for us. He’d come at a cost, but he’d be worth it. In fact, if we could do a straight swap for Carlisle, I’d take it and run. If they ask for draft picks, then we back off. A cheaper alternative would be Zach Smith.
  • Next years draft we have to do the same. Get the best midfielder available.

As far as what to look for, get good and quick decision makers. You can have all the skills in the world, but without good decision making, you’ll just turn the ball over.

As far as contracted players over the next few years…
Baguley - keep
Bellchambers - let him go.
Alex Browne - let him go.
Carlisle - try to keep, but if a good offer comes along, take it.
Chapman - retire
Dalgleish - let him go.
Joe Daniher - sign to a long term contract.
Dempsey - let him go.
Fantasia - give him a two year contract.
Fletcher - can decide for himself. If we want to be cruel, we kind of give him hints he won’t be best 22 and force him out.
Gwilt - keep him unless we are sure we can get a good replacement for him.
Hams - let him go.
Kav - let him go.
Melksham - tough call, but I’d give him a short term contract. Two years max.
Nick O’Brien - you’d delist him because I doubt he’d be good enough to keep his spot in our best 22 ahead of the draftees. I’d give him a short term contract. Two years max.
Pears - let him go.
Stanton - try to keep, but if a good offer comes along, take it.
Winderlich - retire.
That’s nine delisted players. Another four may go depending on circumstances.

Ambrose - needs a replacement.
Ashby - let him go.
Cooney - retire
Shaun Edwards - let him go if he doesn’t show improvement.
Giles - if he hasn’t shown enough until then, let him go.
Gleeson - sign him.
Goddard - short term contract.
Hocking - let him go.
Hooker - sign him.
Howlett - tough call, but he has to be let go. Especially if our draft picks are good replacements.
Kommer - let him go.
Langford - sign him.
Laverde - sign him.
David Myers - sign him.
That’s five delisted. Annote three could also go.

From the rookie list…
Aylett - let him go.
Jake Long - deserves another rookie contract.
Shaun McKernan - he’s a backup forward/ruck at best. Upgrade to the senior list but give him a two year contract.
Steinberg - let him go.

Use the rookie list to get one mature aged body. The rest are for next rookies with potential. No more using the rookie list to give ex-senior listed players a final chance.

That should be about it for now.

Ask for more money from Little/Evans for the Recruiting Department
organise 3 of the best under 15/16’s to go focus on other sports for 3 years - E.g cricket/tennis and if they dont make it we will pick them up as category B Rookie list players.
Put Wallis kid in cotton wool rest of year say shoulder surgery or oestitus pubis, so we can get him cheaply.
fast track development of fletcher boys and Bewicks son.
Send Dean Rioli, Kevin Sheedy & Michael Long to the Northern Territory to unearth the next aboriginal superstar, get him to declare he will only play for EFC pre draft due to relationship with Sheedy/ family ties etc…do this under the cover of setting up a academy affiliated with/sponsored by EFC. where players can develop their trade in a professional environment, offer bonuses for good games like trips to melbourne and tour of EFC facilities.
Sign Waylon Manson to play for EFC Reserves.
Assess what players we want to trade/delist and see if we can imrpove our draft position by getting them to their destination club.
Repair the fax machine.
Identify a Ready made Ruckmen witin/outside afl environment, sound out leuneberger.
Recruit a tall forward and ruck in draft/trade period.
Also look at recruiting inside mid with pace :slight_smile:
Sound out free agents - S Selwood/Dangerfield…have they signed with Geelong or are we a chance for their signature.

Rebuild on the run, challenge as soon as possible. Try and add diamonds in the rough.

Whatever the case, I just can’t see how any board could realistically justify a “4+ year” rebuild. If you had won 2 games across the past 2 years and your list was stuffed full of unprofessional idiots, and you really needed to shake up the leadership group - maybe. But that’s not us.
But that’s a mental amount of time in footy years. Club-ruining type of mental. It’s half a career. The guys you get in at the start of the rebuild are probably getting itchy feet by the 3rd year of nothing. Means we’re effectively writing off anyone who’s 25 now ever having a real shot at it.

We need to do 2 solid years of what anyone else bar you would call rebuilding. Get 10 or 14 new guys onto the list. See what happens. By that stage we’ve still got Hooker/Hurley/Myers/Hocking around, playing well. The younger brigade now (Hepp Zerrett et al) are really hitting their peak. Goddard/Stanton/Watson are maybe just still there but below their peak. And we’ll still have a coach and some sponsors.

Fair enough. What has happened to Dan currie
foot injury apparently.

I reckon there’s almost always a half-decent ruck going begging. There’s probably about 30 candidates at any point for 18 jobs. Not too fussed about it personally.

We should throw $1.5m a year at Dangerfield, and then trade all our picks for guys who were good in 2009.

Rebuilds can take 3 years… 4 years is pushing it. Need alot of luck. Players need about 2-3 years to hit prime if going down draft root. Rucks, longer

There is still enough talent in the list to turn this right around by 2017, if we draft and trade smart, and have a bit of luck.

We should throw $1.5m a year at Dangerfield, and then trade all our picks for guys who were good in 2009.
We already have Pears???
There is still enough talent in the list to turn this right around by 2017, if we draft and trade smart, and have a bit of luck.
Correct. We know the bulk of the backline, a couple of the forwards, and 5-6 mids are good things. Add 4-5 good mids/smalls and one more decent ruck/tall ish type into that mix, and things start to look pretty damned good.

But to me the major major part of the ‘rebuild’ that we needed to do (and weren’t doing) is we’ve given up on top 4 this year and we’re putting games into the kids that we’ve already got. That (understandably) didn’t happen much in 13, started to happen under Bomber last year, then slowed almost to a walk in the first half of this year. And results haven’t been as bad as we thought they might. Which bodes well for a future side built around Hepp/Zerrett/Joe.

Just need to add more, and better, kids into the mix.

Trade Melk + 4th Rd pick for Bris 3rd Rd pick
Stanton and Bellcho leave as FA. Comp pick end of R1.
Trade Dempsey + 3rd rd pick for Haw 2nd Rd pick
Trade Carlisle for Bulldogs 1st Rd pick + steak knives.

Gives us 6 picks in first 40ish and a set of steak knives.

Notes:
Only half serious. Haven’t really thought long and hard about it. Feel free to dissect it.
Other clubs are examples only. No inside mail here.

Edit: I stupidly forgot Dempsey is a free agent.

Correct. We know the bulk of the backline, a couple of the forwards, and 5-6 mids are good things. Add 4-5 good mids/smalls and one more decent ruck/tall ish type into that mix, and things start to look pretty damned good.

But to me the major major part of the ‘rebuild’ that we needed to do (and weren’t doing) is we’ve given up on top 4 this year and we’re putting games into the kids that we’ve already got. That (understandably) didn’t happen much in 13, started to happen under Bomber last year, then slowed almost to a walk in the first half of this year. And results haven’t been as bad as we thought they might. Which bodes well for a future side built around Hepp/Zerrett/Joe.

Agree.
I think our main focus should be continual improvement in the list between now and 2020. That’s around 20 picks to get young fresh talent into the club, maybe 2 or 3 extra players from trades and a mother two through free agency.

The only negative I have against the club…
We take a hell of a lot of time and effort to develop midfielders to be average. We have only developed two elite midfielders (Jobe and Heppell) since the turn of the century.
Considering midfielders are supposed to be the quickest to develop, we have a poor strike rate with them.
I don’t know if it’s development or scouting that’s our issue though.

Adding 4-5 good mids/smalls over two years is actually pretty tough. 2-3 good mids in a draft is a damn good result. Doing that twice in a row mostly happens when teams have multiple first round picks. Depending on your definition of ‘good’ I suppose.

2016 - Encourage Stants and Dempsey to leave via free agency, my guess is they’d prefer not to go, but it would get the team some value. Trade an established player over the age of 26 for a pick. Encourage fringe players to test the market, again looking to improve the draft position slightly. Cut the list hard based on how many hidden gems Dodoro thinks he’s found, if in doubt give fringe players a 1 year extension. Draft for players that take a few years to develop, such as KPPs and talented but skinny Gleeson types. Fill the rookie B list to capacity. Hold salary cap for use when ASAGA is over. Field a team that has enough leadership to maintain structures but has a significant number of young players. This would be 2nd year running in bottom 3rd of the ladder.

2017 - Encourage Hocking to leave via free agency, as he won’t be part of the 2019 push. Trade out another older player, look to bring in a 25-26 year old from elsewhere. Get Dodoro to send gift baskets, birthday cards and christmas presents to all the other list managers so that they stop hating trading with Essendon. Again cut or trade fringe players but a couple less changes than 2016. Draft for fast results, young players that are nearly ready to go or mature age prospects. Turn over the rookie B list and promote anyone that has a realistic chance of playing in 2019. Field a best 20 + 2 kids team with the intention of making finals around position 7-8 on the ladder. Start talking to player agents and lay the groundwork for future trades.

2018 - Hit free agency and the trade period hard. Whatever gaps there are on the list, the time has past to fill it from development. Need a key forward? Go and ■■■■■■ get a key forward. At this point we should have a few years salary cap space saved up, be a competitive finals side and have spongey floors, so finally we would be attractive again. Give the draft secondary precedence to the trade period. Aim to get the draft crops from 2014-2016 over the 50 game mark. If any of Cooney, Goddard and Watson are still playing, they would only get games on merit rather than loyalty.

2019 - Go for it.

So you are the Head recruiter at Essendon in July 2015. Paul Little has come to you and said his expectations are that the club is aiming for a premiership window in 2019. What are your next steps? What process do you take immediately to address the current playing list while looking into the future?

I hope you don’t mind CJohns but I’m going to expand it your post to look at the off field stuff that’s set in place and try to fix all of that first.

My suggestions are under the impression that Paul Little has given me an open cheque book to do what needs to be done.

1. Memberships- Every single person that has been a member for the past 5 years straight, gets their memberships for free until the year 2019. Would reward loyalty and be a thankyou for sticking with the club over the journey. Any essendon fan that rocks up to a essendon game gets in for free as long as they are wearing a Bombers jersey. This would ensure we are playing in front of pretty much full capacity stadiums each week.

2. I would throw cash at the best recruiters in the game and have them working for the essendon football club. Would have at least 2 recruiters for each state. I would employ double that in the NT- their sole job is to find the best aboriginal talent. Not only would that help us, it would hurt the others club.

3. Identify the best 20-23 year olds in the comp and talk to their player managers and ask them what they would want to get them to come to essendon. I would be buying their families houses,cars etc if they came across (dont know if this is allowed or not)

4. I would have specific arrangements for aboriginal players who joined the club. I would be flying their whole families down each week or even staying with their children so they don’t get homesick. Setting up houses and a whole infrastructure for them so that they feel comfortable.

5. I would hire specific coaches to work with the players- whether it be one on one coaching or whatever needs to be done. I would look for the best of the best. I would only hire people that have been involved in a premiership winning club in the last 5 years. I would make it clear if they were to join essendon we would set them up for life and take care of them after the career is finished.

6. Hire the best minds in the business to break apart every opposition teams gameplan, and to give detailed instructions on how to beat them.

7. Every single person who has donated $50 or more to the flight plan over the journey gets to participate in a training session (if they want to that is) with the team, either during the week or during pre-season. Would increase donations as well as giving something back to the fans.

8. I would have the head coach and assistants explain how we are going to achieve success and the reasons why we are taking certain steps. That way everyone can know what is going on and be all behind the same plan.

9. Hire the best medical team, and physio’s in the country.

10. Hire the best weights guys, best fitness guys.

Spare no expense

Whatever the case, I just can't see how any board could realistically justify a "4+ year" rebuild. If you had won 2 games across the past 2 years and your list was stuffed full of unprofessional idiots, and you really needed to shake up the leadership group - maybe. But that's not us. But that's a mental amount of time in footy years. Club-ruining type of mental. It's half a career. The guys you get in at the start of the rebuild are probably getting itchy feet by the 3rd year of nothing. Means we're effectively writing off anyone who's 25 now ever having a real shot at it.

We need to do 2 solid years of what anyone else bar you would call rebuilding. Get 10 or 14 new guys onto the list. See what happens. By that stage we’ve still got Hooker/Hurley/Myers/Hocking around, playing well. The younger brigade now (Hepp Zerrett et al) are really hitting their peak. Goddard/Stanton/Watson are maybe just still there but below their peak. And we’ll still have a coach and some sponsors.

I suppose it depends on what people mean by a 4 year rebuild. What you’re describing I probably would agree with being a rebuild, but I’d say it would take 4 years. What that might mean is we’re crap 2015 (given), keep playing kids in 2016 and are quite poor, 2017 start trying to rise up - probably finish middle-to-lowish, 2018 aim for finals, 2019 aim for top 4. Which is pretty much what happened with Hawthorn under Clarkson, except they managed to snag a premiership in the 4th year. Oh, and they traded guys out and had 2 years of pre-1st round priority picks.

Under that guys 25 now are safe, guys 28 are lineball. Over that and you’re contribution drops right off.

I hope you don’t mind CJohns but I’m going to expand it your post to look at the off field stuff that’s set in place and try to fix all of that first.

My suggestions are under the impression that Paul Little has given me an open cheque book to do what needs to be done.

1. Memberships- Every single person that has been a member for the past 5 years straight, gets their memberships for free until the year 2019. Would reward loyalty and be a thankyou for sticking with the club over the journey. Any essendon fan that rocks up to a essendon game gets in for free as long as they are wearing a Bombers jersey. This would ensure we are playing in front of pretty much full capacity stadiums each week.

2. I would throw cash at the best recruiters in the game and have them working for the essendon football club. Would have at least 2 recruiters for each state. I would employ double that in the NT- their sole job is to find the best aboriginal talent. Not only would that help us, it would hurt the others club.

3. Identify the best 20-23 year olds in the comp and talk to their player managers and ask them what they would want to get them to come to essendon. I would be buying their families houses,cars etc if they came across (dont know if this is allowed or not)

4. I would have specific arrangements for aboriginal players who joined the club. I would be flying their whole families down each week or even staying with their children so they don’t get homesick. Setting up houses and a whole infrastructure for them so that they feel comfortable.

5. I would hire specific coaches to work with the players- whether it be one on one coaching or whatever needs to be done. I would look for the best of the best. I would only hire people that have been involved in a premiership winning club in the last 5 years. I would make it clear if they were to join essendon we would set them up for life and take care of them after the career is finished.

6. Hire the best minds in the business to break apart every opposition teams gameplan, and to give detailed instructions on how to beat them.

7. Every single person who has donated $50 or more to the flight plan over the journey gets to participate in a training session (if they want to that is) with the team, either during the week or during pre-season. Would increase donations as well as giving something back to the fans.

8. I would have the head coach and assistants explain how we are going to achieve success and the reasons why we are taking certain steps. That way everyone can know what is going on and be all behind the same plan.

9. Hire the best medical team, and physio’s in the country.

10. Hire the best weights guys, best fitness guys.

Spare no expense

A fair bit of the above may or may not be feasible. But I’ll definitely give you props for giving exactly what was asked for. Some great creative ideas there, and shows that you have a good grasp on ‘bigger picture’ concepts. Kudos.

You want a flag in 2019, you need a prelim in 18, winning finals in 17, which gives us probably 1 year to do a bit of a clean out and heavy drafting. It also means we’re going to be struggling with this being a shallow draft year.

But from a club perspective, you hinge it only on drafting and list management you have failed already. It has to be a wholistic approach to improving over the next 4 years. And you can’t do it by changing coaches. It’s gotta be a 4 year plan as a club, so whoever you pick as coach is for the next two at least ( you can sack everybody once it fails in 17 as the plans failed and 19 is out but to change after next would be silly do it at the end of 16 if next year is our only rebuilding / development year)

1. The coaching group
  • We need a game plan for the next 4 years that we can win flags. It has to be innovative, account for trends and have some flexibility for the future.
  • Add in a current retiring player to join the coaching team. Whoever they are they should be able to influence the game plan development from a recent experience perspective.
  • We need a specialist stoppage coach that is a genius. I know we have had our core stoppage players out, but it’s a fundamental that we need the new crop to be epic at.
  1. The fitness group
  • Boost Justin’s department to supplement where he may be lacking, somebody good at developing young maturing bodies to be durable and injury free and who can help the players increase their endurance levels.
  • Add a full time wrestling coach, it’s a different kinda fitness and in my opinion some specialist wrestling training with enable the players to play harder for longer and have better technique without needed them to have the size allowing them to run more.
  • Make Yoga mandatory every morning for all players and coaches. It’s awesome recovery and helps prevent injuries. Coaches can’t fall of bikes doing yoga either.
  • All players to have altitude tents installed in their homes for sleeping.
  1. List Management - Drafting.

There are some real constraints here. Mostly, anybody you pick up cannot be assumed to be more than a serviceable best 22. Planning to draft another Heppell or Merrett is planning to fail. So essentially any draftees we get are the ones we expect to push for selection in 2-3 rather than be stars. We also have some clear deficiencies that need rectification at the end of this year. How deep the cuts and draft we go for in 15 and 16 will be entirely dependent on departures. Loose belly and Carlisle in 15 and we can load up this year. But we may have to use trading and FA later. I’m in two minds about keeping Carlisle, on the one hand he is unique and hard to replace with huge potential. On the other hand he will be hugely expensive and his output, attitude and market value currently don’t match his performance and as such we may get a boat load for him. We can cover him in 16 with ambrose and smack.

I’ve advocated previously that we could have a good draft and future by trading him so I will continue down that path. Look at moving 6 players on this year, drafting for mids, KPF and Ruck in that order of priority. Out would be Fletcher, Winderlich, Chappy, Carlsile, Pears, Dempsey. Get as high in the draft as possible with as many as possible. The rookie list Movements to the main list would depend on how many higher picks we can get before the quality in the draft drops.

Rookies to focus entirely on small forwards and rucks, preferably from state leagues.

1. List Management - Trading and FA

This is where we need to put some real focus. Our aim should be to search for a gun midfielder, forward or ruck that we can attract in 17. My vote is for a FA but would also offload the picks in that year to get one. The money we have saved with Carlisle should be used to keep the rest of our list and have a war chest to attract that final piece of the puzzle. We need to start working now on who is out of contract in that year and have more than one option.

In each of the years we should be opportunistic in FA and trade and get what we consider undervalued players that can fill holes we can’t fix through drafting immediately. That

1. Cultural development

This is a massive area we need to improve. Whoever the head coach is has to drive a culture that rewards winning, demands excellence and builds the club back to the ideals that made it what it was.

This has to be a corporate planned activity that the followed from the board, CEO to the jocks washer. Everybody together to build an org culture the entire EFC community should be proud of and breeds success.

Firstly I’d say “Paul, who do you think you are?”