Cricket Part III

To a degree, but it is more than just that.

The quality of players are not as good as we once had, the pitches are worst we have ever had in Australia, the BBL has impacted in a way and the scheduling mess, are all contributing to this issue.

1 Like

No mate, the form isn’t that good, that’s the problem. As I said, a bloke averaging 40 isn’t getting a look in for Australia if we’re actually developing good batsman.

The pitches and scheduling (both BBL and Domestic) have had a huge impact. Along with high performance management policies that prevent your best players from playing 1st class cricket. It’s very hard to develop world class long form batsman if they’re not playing on challenging pitches against the best bowlers your country has to offer at least occasionally.

1 Like

So we agree Shaun Marsh (career FC avg 40.9) shouldn’t be in the side, either on Test form or FC form.
Glad that’s settled.

1 Like

schedule every single australian test match in sydney for the next ten years, it won’t matter which team is picked. Rainy days leading to draws as far as the eye can see.

Not having an oodle of FC runs was no impediment to selecting and developing Clarke, Ponting, SR Waugh, S Smith.

You know what would have stopped them developing?
Selecting a failed 35yo in their spot.

6 Likes

Not quite correct.

Ponting scored 780 runs at 48 in his first Shield season including back to back hundreds in Perth. He’s the youngest Australian to score B2B 1st Class hundreds. He then scored 950 runs at 48 the following Shield season. At the start of his third 1st Class season he’d made about 400 runs by mid November including his 5th successive hundred against WA, a double. There’s only one other Australian in history to score 5 successive hundreds against any shield opponent, you can guess who that was. He’d scored >2200 1st class runs by the time he was picked in the ODI team as ~21y/o… And then hit another ~400 in the 2mths that followed before being selected in the test team.

And with S.Waugh Australian cricket was at it’s lowest ebb, probably worse than what we are currently going through, 2 years prior you had the retirements of Lillee/Marsh/G.Chappell, Kim Hughes resigning as skipper and Border left to pick up the pieces, and then the Rebel tours of South Africa which robbed the team of about 7-8 blokes who would’ve been pushing for spots in the XI. They had to play guys who weren’t ready, so Tugga probably got in without a lot of exposed form under the belt…

1 Like

I think Sangha looks a fantastic prospect, but still miles off. He made 100 on 1st class debut last year against England. 100 on Shield debut this year, and then 0 and 4 in his next match. I just hope he’s not ruined after 5 years in a broken shield system. Kurtis Patterson and Nic Maddinson both looked great on debut and had reasonable first seasons but ā– ā– ā– ā–  knows neither of them are anywhere near test players now.

I think the biggest problem, which was mentioned by JL, is currently we don’t have anyone pressing that hard to get a spot. Does the team improve by dropping Marsh and Khawaja and bringing in Wade and Burns (or Maxwell)? Probably not.

Renshaw may in the long run, he should have never been dropped from the test side, but his current F/C form doesn’t warrant re-selection.

2 Likes

Yes.
If you brought someone else in. And probably if you didn’t.

4 Likes

not any old someone else.

out s.marsh
in m.marsh

1 Like

Does it improve if you don’t?

I don’t think so.
Time to move on.

It’s the bizarro world SR getting dropped for ME.

1 Like

Yes. He could play a bit.
Now explain how keeping a mediocre 35 year old instead would have improved the situation.

1 Like

Why didn’t we only play the kids in 2016. Why did Kelly, Stokes and Crawley get games. The obvious answer being you need some experience and leadership.

Finch and Smarsh were picked for leadership as much as runs. Who knows if this was a positive or negative, I can’t teally tell as it’s too subjective.

It wouldn’t. But in case you hadn’t noticed the cupboards a bit bare for 21y/o wunderkids with ~2500k 1st class runs under their belt in 2.5 seasons. Which is kinda the point I’m getting to. We aren’t producing elite test batsmen anymore.

I don’t want Shaun Marsh in the test team anymore. Hell I barely want Khawaja in there anymore let alone the other hacks they’ve been handing baggy green’s to over the last 5 years… But I’m a realist and I don’t have any faith that we’ve got anyone else that’s gonna do a much better job than what’s in there now. I don’t enjoy it I can assure you. Our development systems are fundamentally broken and it’s not something that’s going to be fixed any time soon.

I’m not prepared to write off a generation of players without trying them because the Marshes happen to be ā– ā– ā– ā– .

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œPreliminary_Point2, post:5105, topic:14479ā€]
Why didn’t we only play the kids in 2016. Why did Kelly, Stokes and Crawley get games. The obvious answer being you need some experience and leadership.

Finch and Smarsh were picked for leadership as much as runs. Who knows if this was a positive or negative, I can’t teally tell as it’s too subjective.
[/quote

We just lost our first home series against India. How you cannot tell is beyond me?

1 Like

Lovely Sydney in the summertime.