Cricket Part III

Maybe the problem with the BBL is actually 20/20 itself.

7 Likes

The late games in Perth are largely only there to facilitate the double header and fit more games in. They’ll need more of these next year and afternoon games on the eastern seaboard in order to compress the fixture a bit. It’s too long, not too many games, just too long in duration. No game last night, tonight or tomorrow night is simply ridiculous when the tournament runs for 7 weeks. They could shave 10 days off it next year simply by compressing the games and having more double headers. That’ll goo along way to addressing the cricket fatigue people are suffering.

Increase the salary cap and international signings and you’ll fix the quality element also.

1 Like

Games used to be on every day didn’t they?

Last days play is kinda different though with time. It’s minimum 90 overs with 15 overs in the last hour. They’ll basically play until the overs are bowled or the light is so bad that they can’t play anymore, even if the last 15 overs takes 90mins. Now if a captain has slowed the game down so much as to prevent that from happening, then I’m sure there’d serious repercussions for that from the match referee. In fact I’d imagine there’s probably a provision whereby the team would forfeit the result should they do that sort of thing. Either way, it’d be pretty low likelihood of happening.

Nup.

Minor offence (10 / 20% of match fee) and serious offence (1 game).

Yes they did with odd day off, but no where near as bad as this season. This season has dragged on so much and for what? It should go no longer than a month and the salary cap needs to be increased. How many internationals do we have playing here? The Bangladesh PL has much better quality than ours.

Really, the final should be played by Australia day. If it is for the kids then it must be done in school holidays. Why can’t they do a triple header on a Sunday (with Perth having the last match) and one game every night during the week (maybe a double header on a Saturday?)

The reason for 20/20 was that it was quick and fast, yet we have managed to make it into a borefest

2 Likes

Only this season. Previously it has not been as boring. I think the biggest issue is that it is now too long. Sure it has the same amount of games as the IPL but the IPL is done more quickly, not extended like CA has done.

Shield games (3 x 4 session days) Monday-Wednesday

BBL Friday night/ saturday / saturday night

Problem solved

3 Likes

You’re mistaking slow over rates to deliberate time wasting.

Law 41.9.3 of the Laws of cricket.

If either umpire considers that there is any further waste of time in that innings by any
fielder, the umpire concerned shall

• if the ball is in play, call and signal Dead ball.
  • inform the other umpire of what has occurred.
    The bowler’s end umpire shall then
    either, if the waste of time is not during an over, award 5 Penalty runs to the
    batting side and inform the captain of the fielding side of the reason for this
    action
    or, if the waste of time is during the course of an over, direct the captain of the
    fielding side to suspend the bowler immediately from bowling.
    The bowler thus suspended shall not be allowed to bowl again in that innings.
    If applicable, the over shall be completed by another bowler, who shall neither have
    bowled any part of the previous over, nor be allowed to bowl any part of the next
    over.
    Additionally the umpire shall inform the batsmen and, as soon as is practicable, the
    captain of the batting side of what has occurred.
    The umpires together shall report the occurrence as soon as possible after the match
    to the Executive of the offending side and to any Governing Body responsible for the
    match, who shall take such action as is considered appropriate against the captain,
    any other individuals concerned and, if appropriate, the team.

Well, there you go.

Be interested to know if it’s ever been applied.

At test level, I’m not sure. Definitely been applied to T20’s.

Similar provision for batsmen wasting time, short of them being dismissed. ie: 5 penalty runs.

Test cricket is a bit different for time provisions on the last day also, with minimum 90 overs bowled including 15 in the last hour of play. That last hour however can take as long as is necessary to bowl the overs though. I recall the Sydney test against India (Monkeygate) when Clarke took 3 wickets in the 2nd last over or whatever it was finished well beyond 6 o’clock because the overs took that long to get through.

Be careful with penalty runs for slow over rates. It would seriously encourage the batting side to waste time too, and that can be subtle.

3 Likes

Not so subtle as to cause a serious slowing of the game to get to penalty runs. And the same provisions apply in Law 41.10 to batsmen wasting time. But the it wasn’t the penalty runs that I was drawing attention to there anyway. It is the “catch all” provision whereby the governing body, being the Match Referee in the instance of a test match, can apply a further more significant penalty against the captain or team as a whole if it’s deemed necessary.

Yeah I know. But with Channel 7 having the rights I reckon this will continue. The set up under channel 10 was perfect

3 Likes

Alot of cricket for players like Finch and White who would play both. Probably playing 6 days out of 7?

3 + 1 = 4

(I should’ve spelled out the BBL is stretched across the shield season, so only 1 game a week)

1 Like

Thy chose to broadcast the AFLW over the BBL on Saturday night. Two games totaling 82 points… good call…

He’s a gun.

Cummins racing to 100 Test wickets

Aussie speedster on the cusp of equalling a 123-year-old record as he sets sights on conquering England

Cricket Network

Pat Cummins is poised to reach 100 Test wickets quicker than any other Australian fast bowler since the 19th century.

The 25-year-old will head into the first Ashes Test in August on 94 wickets from 20 matches after a player-of-the-series performance against Sri Lanka, with a bowling average of 22.02 and a strike rate of 46.8 balls per wicket.

If he takes six scalps in the Edgbaston Test, Cummins will be the fastest to reach the 100-wicket milestone by an Australian paceman since Charlie Turner in 1896.

The only Australians to reach the mark in 21 Tests or less are Turner and spinners Stuart MacGill, Clarrie Grimmett and Bill O’Reilly.

MacGill was the last player to do it in 2003, bringing it up in his 21st Test.

Cummins ripped through Sri Lanka during the two-Test series, capturing 14 wickets at a stunning average of 7.78.

He was the standout Australian player of the summer, finishing with 28 wickets after an impressive finish to the 2-1 series loss against India.

It has prompted some experts to ponder if he is the dominant fast bowler in the world.

Cummins sits second on the ICC Test bowler rankings, just seven points behind Kagiso Rabada with the ICC yet to update its points table following the conclusion of the Canberra Test.

Captain Tim Paine certainly thinks he is up there with England’s James Anderson, South Africa’s Kagiso Rabada and India’s Jasprit Bumrah.

“I suppose the difference with Pat and those guys is he doesn’t take the new ball,” Paine told reporters.

"I think his ability to get it done in all conditions – whether it’s moving around or not – is second to none.

"I felt as the summer went on he actually got better and better and the more he bowled it felt like the quicker and more accurately he was bowling.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan said Cummins could run riot during the Ashes.

“Cummins is a superstar and will win an Ashes on his own one day,” Vaughan tweeted.

2 Likes

well WTF not paineface?!

1 Like

Then you won’t get any overseas players joining.