Cricket - The Ashes Tour, 2019

Just woke up- that is ridiculous. The most boundaries wins the game? And not least wickets lost? How utterly stupid

3 Likes

ditto

Has counting boundaries ever been a thing for deciding a match?

Big hitting puts bums on seats, not grafting away. Not my preference at all, this was a travesty, but given the focus on immediate gratification and 20/20 nonsense you can see why this rule would be in place by the awful ICC rather than something so considered and boring as which team lost less wickets. NZ should get to host the next WC on their own weird little ovals at least.

1 Like

Play the super over with the batsman you still have that haven’t gone out.

6 Likes

Good effort.

I’ve chucked a sickie.

Unfortunately I can’t. Have a 9:15 flight to Sydney which by the way is now delayed until 10:45 so I might have a nap in the Qantas lounge

1 Like

So the lounge isn’t a zoo today?

Starting to fill up as several badly delayed Sydney flights and should start seeing the China Southern passengers rock up soon with their hoardes of screaming kids

1 Like

Crazy game. Hopefully England are hung-over for the next two months. Can you imagine how unbearable they will be if they win the WC and the Ashes in a single summer? Ewww.

The super over is fine for T20 games, but I would prefer an “extra-time” format of several overs each (maybe 5?). If scores are still level (much less likely than for a single over), then go to the super over, and keep going until you get a result. A WC being decided by a count-back of boundaries is a travesty for the game.

6 Likes

Just woke to the bad news.

I’m all for there must be a winner but how ■■■■■■■ good would it be to have joint champions for 4 years. People would be saying in 30 years time, “Dad why did NZ and Eng both win the world cup in 2019?”. “Well son I was there, along with 1.6million other people and this is what happened.”

1 Like

Kiwis robbed.

5 Likes

They were robbed on several levels. England were bowled out. Kiwis weren’t. Only runs and wickets have ever mattered in cricket.

It’s an outrageous outcome.

9 Likes

Wow. Nothing will happen here, too embarassing.

2 Likes

Does this relegate the underarm ball to second place on the “New Zealand Cricket Incidents To Be Annoyed About” list?

12 Likes

It’s the same as if the ball hits the stumps and deflects.

it shouldn’t be imo. Once it hits the stumps or the batsmen it should be a dead ball. I have always felt that way.

3 Likes

Only England could win a World Cup they didn’t deserve. I also don’t buy into the NZ is everyone’s second favourite team conversation. Not even close to top 5. I’d barrack for Iraq before NZ.

6 Likes

Also, Kane Williamson player of the series? Who’d he beat, Billy Slater?

Lol, if the game was washed out, then both teams would share the trophy.

But if both teams tie after 50 overs and the a super over, there’s a farking boundary countback.

#ZeroSense

9 Likes