Cricket - The Ashes Tour, 2019

When’s the rematch?

1 Like

They should make everyone sit in the stadium while every ball of yesterday’s match is reviewed by DRS for mistakes.

5 Likes

Good idea. A recount of no balls would be a good starting point.

Will these umpires face disciplinary action? How can BOTH of them get it wrong? It is as farcical as the 2007 final when none of them knew the rules when bad light stops play.

I find it amazing that there are umpires at the highest level of all sports who do not know the rules in its entirety.

1 Like

Aus A lose their last 6 wickets for 17 runs (Paine 0) to finish with 397. Eng Lions 6/232 in reply at stumps on the second day.

Paine with the extra confidence in his batting

1 Like

Only according to the rules (and I don’t consider them to be ambiguous). They may be silly rules (as you need to be looking at two things very far apart at the same time) but they’re quite clear.

Let’s just call it a “pragmatic” decision.

As someone who has umpires quite a fair bit my outlook is that - under the laws its 5, but has always been applied as 6. This is a case of the evolution of the game getting ahead of the bylaws. 100 years ago batsmen wouldn’t take on the fielder like they do these days. I expect this rule to be updated slightly to take the modern cricket into account, just like they did with grounding your bat and running past the stumps. (TV slow mo shows both feet off the ground in a normal running position, but now you can’t be given run out anymore after they updated the law).

Given the ability of the 3rd ump to look at a still image that clearly perfectly encapsulates this instance, they simply ■■■■ the bed when it mattered most because the Ump didn’t know the ■■■■■■■ rules properly.

Makes it even funnier though. England didn’t win the world cup, they were just given the trophy.

Oh and it wouldn’t have happened if Kettleborough was umpiring.

1 Like

Considering the stakes, this is one of the greatest miscarriages of sporting justice I can recall.

Absolutely diabolical outcome.

3 Likes

I don’t know. It’s still pretty funny.

1 Like

Plenty of other mistakes aswell. I heard that on review of all footage there was close to 20 no balls missed across both innings

2 Likes

amateur hour really. absolutely amateur.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. There’s always plenty that get ignored (unless there’s a wicket), you sometimes see them in general replays.

Given the tech and the ease to look at the vision - surely a check for a no ball is standard after all deliveries. Heck, the 3rd umpire could do it live with just that vision. What else are they doing until they get the call from the ground.

I guess it’s becoming a question of how much or how little do we make of the pitch umpires vs using tech and a third umpire.

the problem is that Umps don’t even look anymore. They barely even bother to watch the front line.

They’d pick up on most of them if they bothered to look.

This. I learnt a lot of new rules yesterday but this is the one I can’t get over!

Umpires shouldn’t be looking for no balls. Just too hard to watch the crease and then get your eyes up to look for LBW’s etc. The umpires need to be focused solely on the batsman. Watching both front and rear feet is too hard from my experience

Ok just going to throw this out there… why even bother having umps on ground making decisions? If the tech is there why not make all decisions from replays?

1 Like