Cricket Quiz

If anyone has been in the main Members’ Bar on the first floor at the MCG, the first one’s name is there loud and proud.

One was a bowler who made a ton as a night-watchman in the World Series days....The Replacements

Gilmour?

Gary ‘Gus’ Gilmour was one but not that one.

Gilmour was a brilliant cricketer but had two big issues…he preferred to stay in Newcastle rather than play in Sydney, and enjoyed the high life…suffering a lot from gout. Took 6-8 in a World Cup Semi Final, I think in 1975. Could swing the ball at will. Max Walker was an excellent test cricketer, but Gilmour would have had his spot if healthy.

3 to go.

Cowper?
Alan Turner was a leftie im pretty sure
Gilmour another I think but stuck for the last

Cowper? Alan Turner was a leftie im pretty sure

Both correct. Nearly said ‘both right’ which might have been confusing.

Cowper made 307 on a wet MCG against the Poms.
Turner collided with Thommo on a practice day before the last Melbourne test (Sydney and Melbourne used to alternate with 2 tests in a series) and buggered Thommo’s shoulder. Lillee then broke down during the test and we were down 2. Big Max took 8 wickets and we got hammered.

One was a bowler who made a ton as a night-watchman in the World Series days....The Replacements

Gilmour?

Gilmour was a brilliant cricketer but had two big issues…he preferred to stay in Newcastle rather than play in Sydney, and enjoyed the high life…suffering a lot from gout. Took 6-8 in a World Cup Semi Final, I think in 1975. Could swing the ball at will. Max Walker was an excellent test cricketer, but Gilmour would have had his spot if healthy.

Mann?

Gilmour?

Mann?

Correct and all done.

WA leggie who took 3-12 in his first go under Bob Simpson against India, but I think he took 1-296 in his remaining games. He did go in as a night-watchman and made 109 from memory.

Gilmour?

Mann?

Correct and all done.

WA leggie who took 3-12 in his first go under Bob Simpson against India, but I think he took 1-296 in his remaining games. He did go in as a night-watchman and made 109 from memory.

I think it was 107 but not 100% sure. He was a genuine night-watchman too unlike a couple of other dubious ones

Gilmour?

Mann?

Correct and all done.

I think it was 107 but not 100% sure. He was a genuine night-watchman too unlike a couple of other dubious ones

And it was 1-304 not 1-296
My memory is shot
It was only 39 years ago

He was a capable bat but you’d never bat him in the top 6.

FC average of more than 24 with 2 tons and 11 fifties. You’d compare that at about the Starc level.

And to substantiate my collapsing memory, Gouty Gus took 6-14 in the WC final and another 5 in the losing effort in the final.

Pretty sure Bevan made one against the WI at Adelaide oval. And it was a slow one

nope, no idea what I was thinking of.

Pretty sure Bevan made one against the WI at Adelaide oval. And it was a slow one

nope, no idea what I was thinking of.

Made a couple of 80s, on debut in Pakistan IIRC, and that Adelaide Test v WI. Got exposed by the short ball in the 97 Ashes and didn’t play another Test…

Try not to check the net for the answer:

Who has the highest % of runs vs Total score in an innings in ODI?

Viv

Viv

Yep

Viv

I reckon Slater in a test made 100+ and the team made 180ish… Wonder what the answer is for tests.

Viv

I reckon Slater in a test made 100+ and the team made 180ish… Wonder what the answer is for tests.

Think slaters innings was top 3.

Viv

That’s a easy one.
Charlie Bannerman in the first ever test.

I know it’s only women’s cricket but one girl in I think the under 19s scored 160no of 169. The other 9 runs were extras.

Viv

That’s a easy one.

Yeah I missed that one, must have been doing something else that day

Viv

That’s a easy one.

Yeah I missed that one, must have been doing something else that day

Ha, I was only a kid then lol.
I only remember that because it was the first ever test and amazing that the record has stood until today and more amazing is that it’s ■■■■■■ good score in today’s cricket let alone back then