Cricket Quiz

Martin love?
No I have a feeling it is someone from the late 1800's to early 1900's. That's the only era I'm not too sure on

I cheated. It is not Martin love, it is from that Era you mentioned.

Punter made 96 on debut and was given out to a bullshit decision. Ball was travelling way over the stumps at the WACA ground against Sri Lanka. Also the place where Stuart Law did his famous fete of being the only batsman in history to not have an average.

Martin love?
No I have a feeling it is someone from the late 1800's to early 1900's. That's the only era I'm not too sure on
You're in the right era.

His name has a Simpsons reference.

Chappell and Azharuddin are the only two I know that did it in their first and last test innings. Got a hunch Ponsford did it in his first and last tests

Correct on all three

And you are right that Chappell and Azharuddin are the only two to do it in first and last innings.

If you’re right on Punter, then I have got Alzheimers

Ponsford not Ponting

Gosh! Every time I read that, I read Ponting. Oops!

Sounds like the other player liked a bit too much of the family’s product (Simpsons reference).

For those still playing at home the answer was Reginald Duff who played from 1902 to 1905. He scored 104 in the 2nd innings of his first test at the MCG vs England in 1901/2. This innings was also famous because he was batting at 10 (Trumper batted at 8) after been held back on a sticky wicket. Batting at 11 was Warwick Armstrong. They added 120 for the 10th wicket.

In his 22nd and last test he scored his only other test century opening the batting with Trumper at The Oval. His 146 was in the first innings but he didn’t bat in the 2nd innings.

Sadly the bottle got the best of him and he died from alcoholic complications aged only 33.

A few guns of the early years died young. Archie Jackson was said to be an absolute gun in the 20’s but died very young from TB.

He was a contemporary of the young Bradman. Good to imagine a team with Bradman, Ponsford, Jackson, Kippax and McCabe.

While on tons on debut, 12 players have done it in one day games,only one aussie. Who is that aussie?

It was recent, I think. Was it Kawarja?

Which Australian has the most “king pairs”?

While on tons on debut, 12 players have done it in one day games,only one aussie. Who is that aussie?

The late Phil Hughes :’(

Which Australian has the most "king pairs"?

I don’t know the answer to that.
I can say though that Ryan Harris did it in Adelaide against the Poms in a test. I only know that because he is a mate of a few of us and we had a large group go down to watch him as it was his first test in Australia

The late Phil Hughes :’(

Correct

Must be Jimmy Higgs, mustn’t it?
Didn’t Chappelli declare and not give him a last chance to score a run in an Ashes series? Or something?

Didn’t Chappelli declare and not give him a last chance to score a run in an Ashes series? Or something?

Not that I’m aware of.
answer is it has only been done twice. Harris is one

Not that I’m aware of.

Gilly scored a king pair. I thought the context of the question was that someone has scored a heap of king pairs, that’s what stumped me

Jim Higgs wasn’t disgraceful if he just had to defend. He just had no shots. He went a tour of England (1975?) without making a run, but they were just taking the p*ss in the end and declaring on him.

Worst defensive shot I ever saw was a WA quick called Cary. Don’t remember who the bowler was, think it was a Pom, who bowled a yorker at the stumps. Cary missed the block by about 6 inches…sideways, not vertically. Ball cannoned into middle peg.

Jim Higgs wasn’t disgraceful if he just had to defend. He just had no shots. He went a tour of England (1975?) without making a run, but they were just taking the p*ss in the end and declaring on him.

Worst defensive shot I ever saw was a WA quick called Cary. Don’t remember who the bowler was, think it was a Pom, who bowled a yorker at the stumps. Cary missed the block by about 6 inches…sideways, not vertically. Ball cannoned into middle peg.

Yeah, thought it was something like that.
Surprised it’s not him then.
Didn’t they play six Tests in those days?

Not that I’m aware of.

Gilly scored a king pair. I thought the context of the question was that someone has scored a heap of king pairs, that’s what stumped me

Just said who has had the most.

Yes, gilly and Harris.

Gillis was funny (not really) because he scored a century on the first test, then two king pairs then I think a duck and 1.

Name the only aussie to get a 5 wicket haul in his odi debut

Name the only aussie to get a 5 wicket haul in his odi debut

Dodemaide.
Only knew that because it was a question at my clubs quiz night a few weeks ago and my table got it wrong