Cricket - The Ashes Tour, 2019

Wade just scored our only two non-Smith tonnes of the entire series. I think he’ll be in the side come November. It’d take failures in every Shield match to even call his spot into question imo.

Pucovski needs one decent shield outing and I’d have him in the side. It’s time for the new gen.

7 Likes

Looking at the future schedule, although not set in stone, at this stage we only have to go to the sub-continent once in the next couple of years. Bangladesh 2020. In 2022 we will have a string of matches highlighted below:

Nov 2019 PAK Home (2 Tests)
Dec 19 NZ Home (3)
Jun 20 BAN Away (2)
Nov 20 AFG Home (1)
Dec 20 IND Home (4)
Feb 21 SA Away (3)
Dec 21 ENG Home (5)
Feb 22 PAK Away (2)
Jun 22 SL Away (2)
Sep 22 AFG Away (1)
Sep 22 IND Away (4)
Nov 22 WI Home (2)
Dec 22 IND Home (3)

2022 could be a very bad year for us with our struggles over there. This is what I’d like to see us trying to address for the future. In the past we’ve sent players over there that we already know will struggle, like Khawaja. I want a team that could perform in all conditions.

I’m not sure what we can do about it though when our conditions are so different, and you can’t just ignore players that are piling on runs at Shield.

A good home series from Wade and he could be a suitable alternative to Paine as captain

Well done by Wade all things considered

Had some poor instances of getting out, some important small partnerships and then the two hundreds.

That last one under huge pressure really and he was really up for the fight

And also had some handy catches

2 Likes

With India’s group of paceman now of decent quality, they may decide to play things a bit fairer and produce pitches where you aren’t opening with a spinner.

If this England tour, and our multiple failures in India, teach us anything it’s that we should be picking batsmen who can perform in the specific conditions that will be faced. Question is, are there any Aussie batsmen who can be relied on to negate India’s spinners?

Smith is the best in the world, Marnus seems more than capable against spin. Apart from those two, no one else in the current set up seems notably adept against spin.

Handscomb and Maxwell are two of the best outside the current group, Nic Maddinson is quite handy against the spinners and if he can build on his previous shield season then he could be back in the frame for the national side.

Maxwell has played 7 tests all in the sub-continent. Yes this is horses for courses, but really unfair on him I reckon. Because of this he has had no time to adjust to Test cricket before being thrown to the wolves over there. Also why his test average is so low. I’d like to see him in the team in australian conditions first. And yes Maddo too if he can get some runs.

Players that can’t play spin can have no place in the Aus team. Same if they’re a walking wicket against the swinging ball

Not for the first time either. His first ever ton in 2012 in the Windies was one of the best fighting innings I’ve ever seen. We were in deep trouble when he came in.

1 Like

At last a renshaw fan.

I’d keep wade, probably for Patterson. Much as the tas crush remains strong in painey it might be time. You have a sound back up in wade. He’s too white line for captain - would probably require another personality evaluation.

1 Like

Wade will never be captain whilst certain players are there

You could have said the same about Ponting. The “certain players” in his case stopped getting selected — or pulled their heads in.

I doubt Wade would ever be Test captain irrespective of who’s there.

1 Like

Plenty of Renshaw fans. But the kid needs to find some form and score some decent runs.

I’ll add him to Pucovski on my wish-list of “score a tonne early in the Shield season” eventualities.

3 Likes

Add Patterson to that list

3 Likes

Don’t forget Burns

3 Likes

I don’t mind Burns compared to the current openers but he’s a little of a short sighted replacement. Renshaw fills the bill for the medium to long term pending rediscovering his form.

Don’t know about kid - been around a bit now.

He just strikes me as someone who immediately clicks at national level. He honestly looks bored during sheild games.

Except that Lyon and Smith are the main two that have issues with Wade apparently

1 Like

Baggy greens shouldn’t be handed out to development players imo, pick for the now based on performances, whoever performs best in the lead up should be picked.

We’ll probably waste those 4 lead up shield matches by player those on the fringes in the t20s though

1 Like

Agree with both your points. Renshaw however has shown he has the tools to succeed at test level. Just needs to score runs to justify another crack. Otherwise it really comes down to who scores runs in the Shield.

1 Like

Hadn’t heard that. Didn’t Smith push for Wade to be recalled last time he was in the team?