Cricket thread - India in Australia (Part 1)

■■■■■■■ shocking

Remember his 145 against England at the Gabba. Loved him in the commentary box as well.

1 Like

That’s the one.

Silk.

Bill Lawry will be struggling

2 Likes

LIkewise. And even aside from the cricket stuff, It seems to be worse as he was closer to my generation and mortality feels far more real these days.

What a year this is proving to be. FFS.

6 Likes

This has hit me hard. Most cricket lovers on the forum would’ve had him as their hero.

Genuinely shocked

3 Likes

We love you cos you’re a Victorian

13 Likes
10 Likes

I remember watching that down at our beach house in Portarlington way back when. No D/N back then at the Gabba so remember most of us skipping put lunch feast with the family to watch it, then when it came time to get into the yard and play cricket after lunch, we all tried to bat like Deano.

1 Like

He was in reasonable nick wasn’t he? And only 59. He must have had a pre-existing heart defect surely to have gone straight away like that.

Very very sad

1 Like

lol, true. But when you’ve made 210 in those conditions, ended up in a 1986 Indian hospital on a drip and the Test ends up the 2nd ever tied test, you can add as much mayo as you like!

3 Likes

Shocking news.

Loved watching him bat. Was a damn good test batsman as well as ODIs. Had a blinder of a tour as part of the victorious 89 Ashes side.

RIP Deano

Shocked to hear this news!!!

RIP. Was my favourite player in the 1980s and 90s. Proud Victorian.

1 Like

I used to pretend to be him in the backyard playing cricket with my brother for hours upon house. Really sad news.

5 Likes

Gee, we just don’t know what’s around the corner do we :frowning:

Very sad news. Watched him play at the G.
Seemed a great bloke. Fine batsman.

1 Like

Deserves a thread.

Just bought a new bat - I’m going to sleep with it next to me tonight out of respect. I’m not joking.

Missus has said that is the final thread of doubt sewn regarding my fitness for life in general.

Didn’t him and merv fall out too?

5 Likes

Gee, that’s too young. My favourite as a kid going to one day games.

1 Like

Sad news.

A bit of a trailblazer in his day, always great to watch, a legend of Victorian cricket.

1 Like

Shocked to hear this news!!!

I loved Deano. He changed Aussie one day cricket with his manic running between wickets.

The crowd at the G when the first wicket fell and Deano was coming out to bat was a great thing to be part of.

6 Likes