Cricket thread - India in Australia (Part 1)

I will never forget the 200 he made in India in the heat, vomiting and just kept going. Sensational!

5 Likes

Great bat and fielder and all but loved his bowling . Love watching batters bowl and bowlers make runs

1 Like

Greg Matthews has a different take on it (google it) - but it sealed his legend status for good.

Ledge was his nickname from memory.

I didnā€™t expect something like this to hit me this hardā€¦

Even if you didnā€™t like cricket or didnā€™t know much about it, everyone knew of him and liked him.

I distinctly remember when he had a go at Curtley Ambrose for wearing wrist bands. Very brave :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jones was an abrasive character, but Matthews is a deadset flog.

3 Likes

I love Deano, but letā€™s be honest, that wasnā€™t brave, it was stupid!!

I reckon I watched something on that online with Deano chatting about it in the last day or so

Dean Jones and Paul Salmon were my childhood heroes.

Dean Jones was literally the best batsmen in the world. He was the best batsman I ever saw. And Iā€™m absolutely staggered

2 Likes

What the f*ck?

Didnt he just tweet this afternoon?

Absolutely devastating. He was my favourite cricketer as a kid. Literally the best batsman Iā€™ve ever seen. And also the most underrated.

He was a childhood hero.

4 Likes

Far out. As a kid I thought if you could make a 200 in 45 degrees in India you were surely invincible. RIP.

4 Likes

Very sad news. He was my favourite when I grew up watching cricket. Lightning quick between those wickets

3 Likes

Deano. :pensive:

Je Suis Deano. Literally. In every back yard match Iā€™ve played since the mid-80s. Even now, when my 10 year old ā€˜Pat Cumminsā€™ is steaming in to me in the nets, Iā€™m Jones lofting him down the ground.

Iā€™ve only shed a tear once at a cricket matchā€¦ the first morning of the ā€˜hailstormā€™ test at the Gabba when Jones was announced as 12th man. I was there to see him bat against the fabled Windies attack. He never played another test. I still hold a grudge against Damien Martyn.

Gone way to soon, but never forgotten. Rest in Peace my hero.

5 Likes

Ambrose did an interview with Crash Craddock and that naturally came up. After a couple of overs Deano said to Curtly ā€œyou can put them back on if you likeā€.

I still canā€™t believe he made a double hundred in Madras when it was 75 degrees in the middle and 145% humidity.

6 Likes

Iā€™m so glad it didnā€™t take me long to find thisā€¦

As a kid, my best friend and I played some very, very serious and competitive games of backyard cricket. It always culminated in a once year full test match, which weā€™d play over five days with two full Innings each. (Weā€™d take turns each year who got to have Deano in their team.)

Thankfully, I won the last test match we ever played, which meant I got to keep the prestigious trophy we had made for it.

Bit dusty, but it still holds up.

33 Likes

He hit 150 in a one day game before it was even a thing.

He didnā€™t buy into the NSW boys club in the national side. In a lot of ways, that led down the path of some very good Victorian cricketers not kissing the arā€™se of the Australian/NSW captain.

5 Likes

There were a hell of a lot of people in cricket who absolutely couldnā€™t stand him.

Great batsmanā€¦thatā€™s the beginning and end of it. Appalling commentator.

Seems like an unnecessary thing to say about an hour or so after his death.

7 Likes