Cricket thread - India in Australia (Part 1)

1 Like

3 Likes

for a bloke who likes to hang it on everyone on blitz, you can say some real dumb unnecessary sh*t sometimes

4 Likes
2 Likes

What a dumb thing to say

2 Likes

I remember going to a one-day match at the G in 1996 or 97, a few years after heā€™d played his last match for Australia.

Some guy had made a banner which said: ā€œYou know, we know, Australia needs Deano!ā€ When that banner got shown on the scoreboard the whole ground cheered.

3 Likes

Border saved Aussie cricket in the 80s, Deano changed it.

2 Likes

This came out only 3 days ago

1 Like

After he got axed from the Australian squad, I used to beg my parents to take me to domestic One-day matches at the MCG just so I can watch Dean Jones bat.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome mate.

1 Like
5 Likes

This manual was my childhood. Deano displaying all the strokes frame by frame. Vale Deano.

4 Likes

I have fully attended one Sheffield Shield match in my life. It happened to be the one where Jones had his top score of 324 not out (the first triple-century for Victoria since the 1920s).

For this match they brought in the boundaries somewhat and you could sit/lie on the grass, which I did. We set SA a ridiculous targetā€¦ and then Lehmann came out and scored around 250, also not out!

7 Likes

I listened to that whole innings on the radio. I kept thinking ā€˜I really should go in and watch thisā€™ but assumed heā€™d be out by the time I got in there.

Nup. He just kept going.

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming there are a few fellow blitzers who attended the Dean Jones tribute match at the G, maybe about 94?

I remember Molly Meldrum was playing for some reason.

Edit:

Awesome. Not only did I find it, but itā€™s also a Tim Webster clip.

Some names in this bunchā€¦

3 Likes

Like so many here I idolised him as a kid - raw talent. Fark 2020 to hell.

1 Like

First sporting event i can remember going to as a kid, Aus vs SL one dayer and all I can remember was the Lankans shouting ā€œcome on get the Jonesy boyā€ huge hero from that moment on for me. Wishing best for his fam.

I remember watching it. Didnā€™t he have half the Carlton FC side playing?

It was an odd mix. But yes, there were a few of those.