Current List Vs 2000 GF team

Wallis was immense for that whole 2000 season. His work at CHB was exceptional. He always had talent (as opposed to just being a brute), but across his whole career, I reckon that was the only 25 games where he consistently put it together.

1 Like

Anyone who thinks Wallis cost us that game hasnā€™t seen the goals we missed.
If he went back and took the kick thereā€™s no guarantee that we convert anyway.
Pretty sure if Mercuri kicks the ball anywhere near straight from here to your nearest wall then that would have made a bigger difference.

3 Likes

And played what, 1 game in 2001? I think Lloyd, Fletcher, J Johnson and Caracella were the only players that even got close to their 2000 seasons. After being such important contributors in 2000 Wallis and Long between them alone barely played 6 games.

1 Like

this is what it boils down to for me.

Iā€™ll raise you a wallis to your heff example.
wallis was a hard nut who would belt people for fun, was a ā– ā– ā– ā–  footballer though. But one thing he had and made others do was walk taller cos of it.

So the likes of hardwick, solly, mj esp in the backline, but others across the field also walk taller and know that if ā– ā– ā– ā–  hits the fan, they will come and help out and at worse get even at some point.

now you replace him with say a hurley who is obviously a better defender and player across his career. you donā€™t get that same mental advantage cos hurley wouldnā€™t actively try to hurt someone and while he may stand up for his mates if push comes to shove, there is a difference between knowing someone will hurt someone else and get even, as apposed to just standing up if someone pushes you around.

If all things were equal, fitness, gamestyles of the era Iā€™d say 2000 team ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  all over the current day version, even this year because they held no fear mentally of anyone or anything in that period. Their drive to be better would obviously play a huge part too.

I know itā€™s not a who would win debate, just pointing out that changing the dynamics by simply picking a ā€œbetterā€ player on paper wouldnā€™t result IMO in the same outcomes.

1 Like