Damian Cupido

Was at the Elimination Final in 2003 v the Dockers at Subi when he helped turn the match just before half-time after a slow start and Hirdy firing him up.

Frustrating waste of talent he was.

Kicked 2 goals in the 3rd that near enough sealed the game, one on his left boot and one on his right. If I recall, freo were coming hard in the 3rd and that killed their momentum and we were home from there.

Yeah I remember that game - was about the last final we won (sad face emoji)
Didn’t Rioli kick a miracle goal from the boundary that night too trickled across the line like he had it on string
Although I never really understood that term cos if he had it on a string he’d pull the ball back towards him …?

Yep, same pocket where Hirdy miracle goal bounced from and then went through.

BRING. HIM. IN!

Big game July 17 at Darley Park, when Bacchus Marsh play Darley.

Come and watch Damien Cupido, he still can play

Hope he regrets disgracing Michael Long’s #13 guernsey.

He sure can play. Kicked over 100 in 13 games for Southern Districts. Saw a few of his games up here… Great to watch.

Amazingly talented footballer and cricketer. Many people would give an arm and a leg to have the natural talent that he wasted. Stupido Cupido.
You could have a good AFL career with half of the talent he wasted. Played plenty of junior footy against him and saw first hand how freakish he was.

Farkin ell you guys are rough!
Not everyone with the physical attributes to play footy has the mindset to take it to the limit. Just because you have one, does not mean you have been gifted with the other. Go figure - people hanging ■■■■ on these guys don’t have either hahahahaha

1 Like

Damien Cupido reminds me of myself except I am not talented.

Him and Rioli would have to be the most naturally talented guys we have had in the last 20 years. Such a shame that neither had the application to make it and have long AFL careers.

Andy lovett was pretty ■■■■■■ good too

Was at the Elimination Final in 2003 v the Dockers at Subi when he helped turn the match just before half-time after a slow start and Hirdy firing him up.

Frustrating waste of talent he was.

Kicked 2 goals in the 3rd that near enough sealed the game, one on his left boot and one on his right. If I recall, freo were coming hard in the 3rd and that killed their momentum and we were home from there.

Correct rossoneri.

Just went back and looked at that game again this morning and he did kick those goals on either foot as you described just before three qtr time.

He was unsighted though in the first half until he gave away a 50 mtr penalty for gobbing off to the umpire, which resulted in a Dockers goal just before halftime which prompted Hirdy to have words to him.

Funnily enough too there was an umpire that night umpiring whom I rated as one of the most competent that I’d seen since Glenn James in the eighties, Matthew James.

I remember Matthew James as having a bit of a shaky start to his umpiring career but became an exceptional umpire until he quietly disappeared unfortunately. And in light of recent discussions on umpiring on here it was a shame that guys of his calibre are no longer around.

He seemed to have a certain rapport with the players and gave clear and concise explainations for his decisions which the players would seem to accept, which in turn allowed for the game to progress quickly and flow after a stop in play.

I believe the umpires are now viewed as the enemy within the playing fraternity which has created an us-against-them mentality in which I think has been to a severe detriment to the game.

Sorry for derailing my post here but just my thoughts on one reason that umpiring is the way it is today.

It fair dinkum guts me to think of the sort of midfield we could have had in the mid-2000s had the cards fallen differently. Imagine a midfield with a fit Rioli, an uninjured Winderlich, a healthy Rama, and a Cupido with his head in the game. And hell, add a Jobe who had a breakout year a bit earlier to that mix. And this is all when Hird, Lucas, Lloyd, and Fletch are still playing top-quality footy.

Sigh.

1 Like
It fair dinkum guts me to think of the sort of midfield we could have had in the mid-2000s had the cards fallen differently. Imagine a midfield with a fit Rioli, an uninjured Winderlich, a healthy Rama, and a Cupido with his head in the game. And hell, add a Jobe who had a breakout year a bit earlier to that mix. And this is all when Hird, Lucas, Lloyd, and Fletch are still playing top-quality footy.

Sigh.

Yup, would have been a very different decade. But that’s the way the chips fall sometimes. It takes the reverse to create a winning ‘dynasty’.

Thanks for that Jackson, very interesting to hear from him.

What a pity that he couldn’t get his head to the same level as his skills.

Had the talent to be the # 1 small forward in the entire league. He was that good. More natural talent than Lovett. Such a waste and such a pity.

Cupido was 20 years old when he kicked 5 on Anzac Day and 39 for the year. Fck me.

3 Likes

WSPHU

8 Likes

I’d do my back trying to pick him up.

16 Likes

Must be getting paid a sausage roll for every sausage roll he kicks

1 Like

“Hey guys, you’ve seen a guy kick 16 sausage rolls, but have you ever seen a guy eat 16 actual sausage rolls? Well, you’re all in for a treat”

2 Likes

One of the bigger (no pun) wasting of talent I’ve seen.

5 Likes