Damien Hardwick

So Essendon DID end his coaching career at Richmond. Cool.

26 Likes

So disrespectful even for Cotchin to repeat it, but that’s because nobody has any respect for our ordinary club, and that’s fair enough

12 Likes

before people that move on from essendon forget, all roads lead to tullamarine

That led to one of the most unusual post-matches we had ever seen from Dimma. His response was different to any other game I played in.

He was filthy and cutting with his comments to the group and about the opposition. In an angry meeting in the rooms after the game, he referred to us as “putrid” and said the way some of us had played meant he would just get “another c— to replace us”.

He pointed to the Essendon team that was displayed on the white board and said, “To be honest with you, I reckon this team is a bunch of spuds, and you aren’t even as good as they are.”

Damien Hardwick addressing his players during his final game at Richmond. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos

His spray had much more to do with us than his assessment of the Bombers. Upon reflection I’m not even sure he knew what he had said.

1 Like

They should give a ■■■■ about what was said.

In fact Brad Scott should put the quote up on the whiteboard in the days leading up to our match against Gold Coast and Richmond next year and if this playing group has any form of dignity, there should be a response.

3 Likes

I told you we broke him.

17 Likes

15 Likes

Every team and supporter base that loses to us would be saying the same thing. We have no respect in the AFL environment.

1 Like

I remember us being the marshmallows with Norf , Tim Watson agreeing we were soft, Sheeds raining down the lollies after a win against them.
Before then, we were called the Gliders,

1 Like

They won’t overtly but it will be noted. Not necessarily as a motivator when next playing Hardwick, more just another valid appraisal of how the industry views Essendon and how it goes about its football. Stuff we already knew but rarely dies opposition coaches basically say how a…t they think you are.

Hard to say that about our own team, but we’re genuine spuds… More do in our attitude and how we go about it. The Gliders. Great at Marvel but can’t cope with the heat and tougher environment that usually confronts us at the G.

1 Like

Or everyone is just over analysing an off the cuff comment made by a coach having a sulk after being beaten.

They won’t care in the slightest about this.

4 Likes

For me it’s not about putting it up on whiteboards for our players. Problem with Essendon is you probably think they need to do that to elicit the right response on field. But that’s been the case for 5/6 years now. We respond and play vigorously usually when facing the external blowtorch. Then a week later, meek, mild and uncompetitive.

For me the takeout is simple. Hardwicks view on Essendon is in line with what we suspect the AFL industries view of Essendon is. And it’s time Essendon addressed it at its core. That involves list management, ‘AFL lifestyle’ and standards (culture), mental resilience, fitness & conditioning etc. hopefully we’re on the path out now but it’s going to take time to peel the layers back and embed a more resilient, competitive & aggressive Essendon.

3 Likes

“Lads, it’s Essendon”

I doubt it. That’s how the industry would view Essendon. If we were to look in the mirror and ask ourselves whether we agree with the comments, we’d almost certainly as one accept the comments we’re accurate.

So basically he wants to only win and isn’t interested in rebuilding a team.

I think Gold Coast will be good next year, under Dimma though they might just break their finals drought

1 Like

And so, for a club and playing group trying to build a culture of substance, to be referred to as “spuds” will hit them on first read, and so it should.

The players are not happy with their standing in the competition and want that to change.

Those comments serve as a reminder and should be used as motivation (not by the coach, but players fed up with years of mediocrity) next time Essendon play Hardwick’s team.

2 Likes

Things might have been different had Hardwick’s laptop had worked… (sigh)

1 Like

Yeah, Dimma called Essendon Spuds, but I’m more shocked that he referred to his own players as c*nts.

3 Likes

When Geelong were called the handbaggers (out of the lexicon now, like saying someone played like a girl)

2 Likes