Darcy D’s little brother

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/can-sam-draper-be-the-next-max-gawn-for-the-new-baby-bombers/news-story/c870e6970f31814f74f6ab9f7b22e481

Can Sam Draper be the next Max Gawn for the new Baby Bombers?

Circumstance has forced Essendon to temper its expectations, but injuries and departures have opened the door for a new order that could be very special.

Kevin Sheedy never just enters a room, he appears from nowhere with all the theatrics of a Broadway veteran.

On Thursday at Carlton’s Parkside cafe, ahead of the Essendon-Blues scratch match, up bobbed Sheedy between two pot plants as an adjoining table discussed the new version of the baby Bombers.

“You have just got to play these kids,” said Sheedy, 29 years after he gave a willing band of youth their chance midway through the 1992 season.

An hour later there was No.8 selection Nik Cox as a preposterously tall wingman, Sam Draper doing a more than passable Max Gawn impression and Archie Perkins sidestepping Sam Docherty with all the swagger of future star.

History charts that Sheedy’s mob would win the flag by 1993, with a blend of audacious young kids and veterans like Tim Watson.

Essendon knows this is no Port Adelaide-style bounce where three first-year draftees help slingshot the club back into finals contention.

No, this is very much a club realising that for all of its intent to challenge with acquired talent (Devon Smith, Dylan Shiel, Jake Stringer), it had no option but to dramatically change tack and go back to the draft.

And in a manner that might see that 6000-day long drought since a winning final extend for some years yet.

Essendon knows it, the fans who watched on Thursday know it, and, as soon as everyone is on the same page, the rest of the supporter base can get on with acknowledging this might be a bottom four-and-building year, rather than a top-four-and-challenging season.

In the off-season, Essendon lost four players who should be in their absolute peak, both in skill and age demographic – Adam Saad, Joe Daniher, Orazio Fantasia and Connor McKenna.

Michael Hurley’s gaunt appearance on Thursday – having lost up to 10kg and still barely able to walk – highlights that any 2021 games will be a bonus from here, given his hip infection.

Cale Hooker has lost up to 6kg and will play forward.

At 32, retirement could have been on the cards, but he dedicated himself to becoming a lighter, more agile player. With his soft-tissue problems he has a real challenge to play regular impactful football, while Dyson Heppell’s foot issues have seen him pensioned off to half back.

It adds up to seven players repurposed, diminished in impact or gone to rival clubs instead of taking the Dons to the promised land.

As assistant coach Blake Caracella inferred on Thursday, this could be a rollercoaster year.

“(Jy) Caldwell played really well. He is a strong-bodied inside mid who will complement (Andy) McGrath and (Zach) Merrett and (Dylan) Shiel and (Kyle) Langford,” Caracella said.

“We have quite a deep midfield and a lot of young kids to fill spots around them.”

That’s the bad news.

Here is the good stuff.

A bottom-four year might hand the Dons the draft capital to put together two exceptional drafts, and the bedrock for the resurgence.

The Dons can’t afford to lose another 25-year-old – this time Zach Merrett – who will take his time considering his free agency options and might still walk.

But if he did, in a year where the Dons finished bottom two, the reward would be a top-three draft pick in a national draft that is finally uncompromised, handing Essendon five top-10 picks in two years.

The Draper comparison isn’t a throwaway line.

The 22-year-old, with eight games under his belt, is capable of, at some stage in his career, being the best ruckman in the game.

He is wild and at times cumbersome, all arms and legs as he charges around the ground.

Like Gawn he throws at himself at every high ball then, moments later, he’s at the bottom of the pack squirting out a handball or booting the footy up field.

Refined, he ain’t.

But he just might be something special for the next decade.

Essendon thinks Nik Cox will start Round 1 on the wing but could develop into a pure mid, while Harry Jones’ first real steps in Bombers’ colours as a marking tall were highly encouraging.

Throw in No.10 pick Zach Reid, Jordan Ridley, Ned Cahill and Nick Hind off half back, a rejuvenated Peter Wright, Caldwell’s emergence as an inside mid and the kids will be all right.

Now it is up to Ben Rutten to sell the message with transparency and insight — as he works behind the scenes to rid this list of selfishness and individualism.

It might not be the preferred path from as recently as early last year, but Essendon knows it is the only way forward.

7 Likes

Joe has done us a favour by leaving
Disappointing commitment and poor performance on top dollar
Embrace the new guard as they give me genuine hope for a resurgent era

3 Likes

Sorry, bit aggressive by me

1 Like

I don’t have faith that we can rebuild we drafted Heppel,Hooker,Hurley,Zaka etc and it got us nowhere their careers/talent wasted I fear the same will happen with the likes of McGrath,Parish,Merret etc

Essendon is a club where talent goes to waste

1 Like

We do need what we just lost.

There’s only so many quality Key position forwards.

Hopefully one will fall in our lap like it did for Sydney and Adelaide this year.

And if it doesn’t? We are managing our cap and working out how to pick one up when ones on the move.

I am hoping we keep an eye on McCartin in the Swans reserves. I know his concussion history. But he has been cleared to play and if he gets through a season kicking bags in the NEAFL, it would be amiss not to take a look at him.

2MP is not the answer.

To be fair, its partially our fault. Since he was a kid coming from football royalty to being a promising potential number 1 pick, hes been told that the sun shines out of his @$$. From the media, the club, the fans and everyone else in between. The club wouldve been treating him like a fking king for the last few years to try and keep him. Giving in to every demand. No wonder he turned out like a spoiled brat. I just hope he gets a dose of reality at brizzy and they tell him to shutup and get to work when he cracks the sh1ts.

Roger Merret was a much bigger loss. He could actually play. Also always gave 100%.

3 Likes

Me when people are around talking about Joe: “Fark Joe. He is a rat fark, and I wish him nothing but the worst at Brisbane.”

Me when everybody leaves, and I am all alone thinking about Joe:

I have a lot of mixed emotions on the subject…

5 Likes

Joe Daniher is a very very good footballer who hasn’t played much in 3 years.

If he was playing for us still and had just slotted 4 against Carlton in a praccy match, I would be frothing about our finals chances in the lid off thread.

Anyone who says otherwise, I reckon their lying to themselves.

Doesn’t stop him being a ■■■■■■■■ about leavin the club tho and I reserve the right to think he’s a traitor :joy:

Well find some faith. We’ve had the wrong type of coach for a while. I’m giving Ben the vote this year … he’s got everyone backin him and with Sheedy in his ear will do OK. That group of players will stick.

A rough first half but then finish this year firing is my forecast.

I know but 20 years of failure after failure makes it bloody hard

Just to add perspective, “very good forwards” and “key position players” can actually kick the ball straight to goal from 45m out dead in front.

He was flashy, he was fun to watch, but he was inconsistent and frustrating too. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but a turd by any other name would smell as foul. Names mean very little if not followed up by the intent to honour it.

And despite all that, in his last uninjured season he STILL kicked 30 more goals in a year than anyone else has managed for us since Lloyd/Lucas.

2 Likes

He’s a very good player, but still overrated, given his output for the last three years, and his kicking.

We got a very good pick for him. Pick 7.

We wouldn’t have played finals this year or next even if he had stayed. So taking the pick is the best result for us our current situation.

He’ll probably be excellent at times for the lions, and flaky and frustrating at other times. But even if it’s more excellent than not, he still wasn’t the right fit for us in 2021.

Time to move on.

Group A
Barry Davis
Neville Fields
Roger Merrett
Gavin Wanganeen

Group B
Scott Cummins
Adam McPhee
Kepler Bradley
Travis Colyer

Time will tell which group Joe Daniher belongs in.

• there’s also Group C
    Paul Salmon
    Timmy Watson
    John Barnes
2 Likes

This sounds Saad-like in its retrospective justification. But even setting aside his amazing, frustrating talent, he’s a Daniher. We have been dragging ourselves out of the most distressing period of the club’s history and, like Jobe and the Hirds, our dynasties were standing up for us. Then, when we keep the faith, get him the best medical help, when he is good enough to play again, he just walks. There are some things, like family, safety, shelter and faith, which are more important to me than EFC. If football is just another sport to you, your comments make more sense. To me it’s still blood.

2 Likes

What are these groups ? biggests turds in the clubs history or what ?

If that is the case only one group.

Group A ++++

Davis
Daniher
Saad

Let it go. He has gone. Done and dusted.

1 Like

Has he fixed his teeth yet?

Despite all the talent and hype, Joey was so frustrating. His great games were few and far apart and was disruptive to a consistent game plan. It was too Joey-centric. And when he kept missing from 20-30m, how deflating. How it must have affected the4 players. Yes, he could kick long. Yes he could occasionally take a flyer, but as a team, I think we are better off without him. If he was fully committed. If he would have stuck with Lloydy to straighten out his goal kicking, then maybe yes he could have a regular match-winner, but too much a flash-in the pan to put to much trust in.

4 Likes