David Barham - Our new Board Overlord

He was drafted as a CHB and wasn’t a success at AFL level in that role, but a perfect tall winger. Great runner, good skills.

4 Likes

Move us back to the MCG Mark.

9 Likes

If I remember his 2nd half of 2002 off the half back line was immense.

5 Likes

Someone who has made his career outside of the AFL world, but with a football background and former Essendon.
Sounds promising.

3 Likes

Good size, athlete and skills. Didn’t get it much. I think closest comp to our current players is Cox.

Would be cool to see Bolton take over as CEO and Vozzo throws Dodoro in the bin and takes the list manager role.

Really hope his role includes overseeing a proper schools program.

3 Likes

Took a pretty big mark at half forward in the 2001 prelim against the hawks if I remember correctly before handing it off to Lucas for the sealer

1 Like

This is an outstanding appointment.

Well done to the club for getting this man back. One of the great humans.

Hopefully this is a stepping stone to eventually getting the CEO role.

https://twitter.com/essendonfc/status/1668475587365855232?s=46

9 Likes

Yep came out of no where it was the 2002 semi where we were missing Lloyd and Fletcher and no one gave us hope and he was tearing Port apart. Honest player not a star as someone said a Sheedy project player.

Necessary reading:

3 Likes

Great article

OMG this!!!

MCC membership just came through after 16 years waiting.

7 Likes

I won’t sugar coat it. For so many Blitzers he was the perfect whipping boy. He was a good honest footballer, who everyone wanted to be a superstar, and when he wasn’t they turned on him a fair bit. I honestly think the one thing that held him back upon reflection, was that he just didn’t have enough mongrel in him. His skills were solid and like Stanton, could run all day. He also had a bit of the giraffe about him at times. All limbs and little co-ordination. The one thing everyone agreed on though was that he was a top bloke. Love seeing him come back to the club, and thank you @theDJR for reposting that story. It really does show what a brilliant person he is.

5 Likes

Goodes:Bolton as no one:Franklin.

Rohan Connelly mentioned him in a podcast with scooter as a person we should try and get to the club a while back

1 Like

Is that right Nikko? Well you can FRO!

1 Like

Mark Bolton was just about the best clubman EFC has ever had.

Maybe not the most talented player we’ve ever had but definitely the most committed and nobody could ever question him giving 100% in every single game. There wasn’t anything ‘selective’ about him.

He also come to the club when we were at the top of the tree, which for some would have been a dream but I think the opposite. Incredibly difficult to break into that side and had to learn to adjust in the following years when we were on the decline.

Glad he is back in some capacity.

7 Likes

Good to have Bolts back on board but besides overseeing the IT side of things, shouldn’t the rest of those dot points be in Vozzo’s portfolio ?

Isn’t half of Vozzo’s day spent in keeping Dodoro and Mahoney 50 metres apart?

5 Likes