David Mundy

he looks like our best bet. unless we miraculously get one of the GWS boys (which is not likely to happen).

Rhino-D, I see your argument, but I don't see it for mundy.
He'd be just another one paced mid who can find the ball and put it into a forward line that can't kick goals. And his price tag would seriously hamper us ever being able to address the real problem.
And I guess I think we're a lot further than Mundy away from being a flag contender.

As do I, however he would walk into our side and be instantly ahead of every mid bar Jobe and Heppell. 

Freo are willing to give him another 2 years in a side that is a genuine premiership threat. 

Shouldn't that tell you and the club something, from a guy asking for 4 years and big coins, that a team in it's prime and window, are only willing to give him 2 years ?

It's the wrong intent on so many levels that it makes it impossible for us not to be behind the scenes trying to get him.

We've got fark all picks and zero gun mids on the horizon short term. 

Bring him in, drop one of the lesser lights and go balls to the wall to win a flag with Jobe and BJ still firing. 

I reckon Z Merrett is probably atm our best performing player with skill and decision making, I reckon he could be one of the few elite players we might have on our list in a few years time.

Anyway it's not just a risk with the points you bring up in the rest of yoru post that I removed. There's the problem that you could indeed set the club back even further by bringing him in and chasing a flag with a very questionable starting position to begin with.

you could end up gutting the list in 2 -3 years time removing a number of said older players ( might have to add Stanton and Dempsey as they are getting on in age also), but you run the risk of repeating years 2002 til 05, and topping up with older "experienced" players past their prime, while neglecting to develop the younger players.

Instead of simply waiting to buy players, the club should do an honest appraisel of all the players on the list, and then decide to try and trade some of the lesser lights off, in a bid to either get other talented players from opposition clubs, or trade back into the draft.

We should be looking to evalutate who's not going to improve, or hasn't improved enough that needs to be culled, instead of hanging onto guys for years on nothing more than potential, esp mostly from their under 18 days, because you and others share the view we haven't got the talent coming through, but I ask how does anyone honestly know that for a fact ?

when we have so many players still on the list who haven't been given anywhere near the same luxuries as others, esp at senior level ?

To boot I admire the way Watson has developed over his career, I think he'd probably go close to the most inspirational captain i've seen in my lifetime, and that includes Hird. But at the end of the day The club comes first, and if that means we have to slightly rebuild before we can have a genuine attempt at winning a flag, then that has to be the first priority, not trying to sneak a flag with an ageing crop of recylced players, in a window no one is really sure about being actually open for us at the present time, cos if it is open, this years efforts by the players do not support that theory.

Mundy will not fix the issues we have, just like Goddard hasn't. the issues we have are to ingrained in both the coaches and players, that without removing the biggest culprits, merely expecting others to improve them, doesn't work.

Goddard, despite him not perpetuating it, was supposedly recruited to be that extra gun player that would improve our players standards of skill execution and decision making. He can't kick the ball for other players, he can't make then pick the better option, hell he can't even enforce the coaches way of playing to the rest of the group on gameday.

Look at Hawthorn this year, they've missed some pretty big named players for big parts of the season, yet are still on top, why ?

because their structures are the driving force to their success and believe they can win any game with any 22 players on the list, cos each player knows their role, knows what's expected of them, and so on and so on.

We are no where near that standard yet, and adding mundy to our list will do nothing to change that. He would be a cherry ontop of the cake, like Goddard was suppose to be, however we haven't even finished baking the cake yet, so putting cherries on top is pointless, to use a bad baking analogy.

If we have this kind of money why throw it at a 29 year old who will be our 3rd/4th best mid when we have a serious problem up forward at the moment... Bring home Patton and with a bit of smart recruiting we can build a team around him and Joe. We were a genuine chance for a premiership before our draft picks were taken which is why we went after Goddard, Chappy was merely a cheap player who was a chance to add something to our team. 

Would we have the cap space to pay 700K to Mundy ? It's too much money for a 29 year old,even though i rate him highly. 

No too old and the 4 year term will come back to bite us in 2 years time.

Lol @ Geldof
You need money to keep the current players too, so it's not 'only' a problem when Lebron comes knocking.
Mundy isn't worth anywhere near a contract like that, And that's without over thinking anything. If I did overthink it, I'd probably end up saying something like 'this would be a Carlton-like decision.'
Our premiership window is nowhere near as 'open' as we had hoped, and even if it was, Mundy wouldn't do sh*t about it anyway.

If we could guarantee we could fit him in though and not lose anyone?
Do it? Or not?
Keep in mind not having a first round pick this year or last has probably saved us $100k, as they get more than the average draftee. Keep in mind not having that first round kid will hurt the list and there's not much we can do about it other than work around it.

Anyone using Goddard as a point against getting Mundy is an absolute tool. Guy is arguably our best player, probably our best leader, worth every penny and more. If Mundy can do half that much then he’s worth it.

Oh, let alone the completely done (or never were) blokes we brought in 02-05. Alvey/Murphy/Haynes/Campo vs Goddard and Mundy. Hardly comparable.

If we continue to load up on mature players, we are setting ourselves up for a big fall. We need to get some midfield minutes into our younger types. Already we've got one of the oldest lists in the AFL, and a midfield of Watson, Heppell and Mundy would be as slow as treacle.

You will actually find we have one of the youngest list in the AFL actually if you take out Fletch.

Disagree. And I think the quality of emerging midfield talent we have is light on. Heppell is a gun, Zach Merrett has the makings of a very good player, but Jackson Merrett, Melksham, Kav, NOB, Hams and Colyer are a long way off the other emerging midfield groups. Adding another mature player, who I think is past his best, and a poor fit considering the similar types we have, would only further slow their development.

If we continue to load up on mature players, we are setting ourselves up for a big fall. We need to get some midfield minutes into our younger types. Already we've got one of the oldest lists in the AFL, and a midfield of Watson, Heppell and Mundy would be as slow as treacle.

You will actually find we have one of the youngest list in the AFL actually if you take out Fletch.

Disagree. And I think the quality of emerging midfield talent we have is light on. Heppell is a gun, Zach Merrett has the makings of a very good player, but Jackson Merrett, Melksham, Kav, NOB, Hams and Colyer are a long way off the other emerging midfield groups. Adding another mature player, who I think is past his best, and a poor fit considering the similar types we have, would only further slow their development.

Hate to say but I agree with Dill. Watson, Goddard, Stanton are all over the age of 27. Adding Mundy would mean another 27+ midfielder. If we thought we were that type of player short of a premiership, no dramas, you do it. But we are no certainty to make the eight this season. I'd be trying to upgrade our top draft pick so we can get into the top 10 and snare a quality young mid...

bingo.

We need alot more than Mundy to get us to a GF. We need 1-2 goal sneaks (Winderlich always injured, Chapman finished) plus we need another 2 mids and another key forward (assuming Carlisle goes back when Fletcher retires)

Considering we don't have any picks again, we should be targeting a young mid who either is a fringe player or is a RFA (would make him about 25 or so???)

bingo.
We need alot more than Mundy to get us to a GF. We need 1-2 goal sneaks (Winderlich always injured, Chapman finished) plus we need another 2 mids and another key forward (assuming Carlisle goes back when Fletcher retires)
Considering we don't have any picks again, we should be targeting a young mid who either is a fringe player or is a RFA (would make him about 25 or so???)

No point going for a fringe player.
Better off waiting until next season and throwing every penny we have at Dangerfield if that is your preference for a mid (ie 25 years old).

David Mundy has just signed on for 3 more years on the Fremantle Football club website

Free Agency 2014 and Mundy threads officially redundant.

NOW - How do we ambush GWS and steal their kids...?

Hate to say but I agree with Dill. Watson, Goddard, Stanton are all over the age of 27. Adding Mundy would mean another 27+ midfielder. If we thought we were that type of player short of a premiership, no dramas, you do it. But we are no certainty to make the eight this season. I'd be trying to upgrade our top draft pick so we can get into the top 10 and snare a quality young mid...

That would be about the last thing I'd set out to do, personally.

I'd be prepared to offer a player if we were getting something legit, or a good prospect that legit fits our need.

I'd take something good for nothing (Mundy for cap space)

Another good midfield kid wouldn't be something I'd say no to, but it wouldn't be what I'd set out to chase - surely, if we were to get into an early pick, it'd have to be a tall, and fill in a legitimate list gap?

I don't think having Mundy instead of the last picked mid (Colyer/Howlett/Chap/Melks) for the next 3 years would hurt any of our kids FWIW.

Having 4 good, seasoned midfielders instead of 3 isn't going to put a black line through anybody's chances of a spot: just make it a bit tighter for all of them.

Having another good head to learn off would be a positive and I don't think playing in wins hurts, either.

Hawthorn's development doesn't seem to have been stymied by buying Burgoyne, Hale, Lake et al; nor Pies with Ball; nor Sydney with their whole list nor Cats by keeping the majority of their older guys around. They're all perennially in the top 4/6.

EDIT: nah ■■■■ him he's ■■■■, slow, old, we don't want him, anyone who does is an idiot

He's signed at Freo.

FREMANTLE has re-signed its second superstar in a week with midfielder David Mundy resisting the temptation to return to Victoria and re-committing to the Dockers for three more seasons.

Hot on the heels of last Thursday's announcement that Nat Fyfe had re-signed a new three-year deal, Mundy has agreed to terms to remain at Fremantle to the end of 2017.

Well alright then! lets get a GWS kid!

Would have been a disastrous move to sign Mundy on big coin (700k+) for 4 years.

There is very little chance of us going from 10th (our likely finishing position this year) to Premiership in 2015.

It’s debatable how much value he would have provided from 2016-2018 in an ageing slowish midfield.

Someone like Sloane, however, would be a better get at the start of the 2016 season (assuming they change the FA Rules).

Just turns 26 at that time.

Will be coming into his best footy.

Has a little more pace than Mundy.

And, his age profile is more conducive to a 4 ( or even 5) year deal.

Oh thank Fark for that. I had a horrible feeling we were right into him.

Oh thank Fark for that. I had a horrible feeling we were right into him.

Never liked him anyway.