Delistings and List Regeneration

There are 18 players of 40 on the contracted list due to have some considerations re their 2016 futures soon. An extraordinary ratio.

Of these, there are some exceptional statements at the time of writing.

For example, Dustin has just played his 400 and looks okay. You would expect him, in consultation with the club, to be able to choose his 2016 pathway. Similarly, Joe D and Baguley and a few others are awaiting other issues to clear before the club re appoints them beyond this year.

There are obvious retirements and journeyed positions to vacate as well.

Baguley, Mark - 2015
Bellchambers, Tom - 2015
Browne, Alex - 2015
Carlisle, Jake - 2015
Chapman, Paul - 2015
Dalgleish, Lauchlan - 2015
Daniher, Joe - 2015
Dempsey, Courtenay - 2015
Fantasia, Orazio - 2015
Fletcher, Dustin - 2015
Gwilt, James - 2015
Hams, Will - 2015
Kavanagh, Elliott - 2015
Melksham, Jake - 2015
O’Brien, Nick - 2015
Pears, Tayte - 2015
Stanton, Brent - 2015
Winderlich, Jason - 2015

Rebuild or rekindle, we will handle this well.

Note also that Steinberg has had three terms on the rookie list and Aylett took one for the list early 2015(?).

What/who gives for trade or retirement or movement on the 2015 list.

With 3 likely retirements, and one likely rookie promotion, I’d guess that all the older guys (Stanton, Dempsey, Baguley, Gwilt) get new contracts, half the younger guys (Dalgleish, O’Brien, Kavanagh, Pears, Browne, Hams) get delisted, and the other half get one year contracts. That’s the straightforward, conservative, turn-over-the-list approach, and that’s our style.

That gives us 5-6 ND picks or slightly more if Carlisle goes. We haven’t taken more than 6 players in the draft (7 if you count PSD) in the last 20 years, so I don’t think this is going to be the year we suddenly take 9 or 10.

I thought the fact he included Buketz in his post under the “good core group going forward” category was telling enough.

I hear the term rebuild bandied around a lot. Since our poor start to the season I hear many media types saying we overrated the list and topped up for a flag but now need to rebuild. For all of that talk I say bullsh!t. Consider the following:

a) We have an extremely good core group of players 26 and under, all with a great deal of footy left. All of Hurley, Hooker, Carlisle, Daniher, Z Merrett, Zaharakis, Myers, Hibberd and Heppell are an outstanding core group with 6-8 years of top shelf footy left. Where we have been let down is not with the likes of Cooney, Gwilt, Chappy and Fletch, but with the Kavanagh, J Merrett, O’Brien, Melksham, Bellchambers etc have not come on as required. We have another group of Fantasia, Gleeson, Ashby etc all showing signs of coming through and we really need those guys to take the next step ASAP. Laverde and Langford will prove inspired picks IMO, but will likely need another year or two.

b) The draft penalties and the uncertainty of the saga meant we had to take some risks on established players. Gwilt cost nothing in a contract or draft pick sense. Cooney cost us pick 37 but I believe the Dogs are still paying a portion of his salary. Chappy cost us pick 78 and around $280k a year, but the influence these guys will have on the aforementioned developing types cannot be measured accurately. We all knew Cooney’s Brownlow form is not coming back, Chappy won’t win any more Norm Smith medals but their experience, presence and attitudes to preparation has helped our young players and gave the club insurance in the event of the worst case scenario of the saga.

I expect us to lose Chappy, Fletch, Winders to retirement this year and IMO we’ll lose Kavanagh to another club as well as possible FA defections of Dempsey and Bellchambers. It’s important that we not miss with any of the draft selections we have from here and we get the required improvement from at least a handful of the periphery players. I’m certainly not as pessimistic as a lot of people are in regards to the state of our list.

Shut up and tell us if Carlisle is staying or not!!!

Man i wish we could find someone like Walters from Freo.

No news is good news?

I hear the term rebuild bandied around a lot. Since our poor start to the season I hear many media types saying we overrated the list and topped up for a flag but now need to rebuild. For all of that talk I say bullsh!t. Consider the following:

a) We have an extremely good core group of players 26 and under, all with a great deal of footy left. All of Hurley, Hooker, Carlisle, Daniher, Z Merrett, Zaharakis, Myers, Hibberd and Heppell are an outstanding core group with 6-8 years of top shelf footy left. Where we have been let down is not with the likes of Cooney, Gwilt, Chappy and Fletch, but with the Kavanagh, J Merrett, O’Brien, Melksham, Bellchambers etc have not come on as required. We have another group of Fantasia, Gleeson, Ashby etc all showing signs of coming through and we really need those guys to take the next step ASAP. Laverde and Langford will prove inspired picks IMO, but will likely need another year or two.

b) The draft penalties and the uncertainty of the saga meant we had to take some risks on established players. Gwilt cost nothing in a contract or draft pick sense. Cooney cost us pick 37 but I believe the Dogs are still paying a portion of his salary. Chappy cost us pick 78 and around $280k a year, but the influence these guys will have on the aforementioned developing types cannot be measured accurately. We all knew Cooney’s Brownlow form is not coming back, Chappy won’t win any more Norm Smith medals but their experience, presence and attitudes to preparation has helped our young players and gave the club insurance in the event of the worst case scenario of the saga.

I expect us to lose Chappy, Fletch, Winders to retirement this year and IMO we’ll lose Kavanagh to another club as well as possible FA defections of Dempsey and Bellchambers. It’s important that we not miss with any of the draft selections we have from here and we get the required improvement from at least a handful of the periphery players. I’m certainly not as pessimistic as a lot of people are in regards to the state of our list.

Shut up and tell us if Carlisle is staying or not!!!

Man i wish we could find someone like Walters from Freo.

I have set up a website to help educate people discussing trading Dempsey. It can be found at http://dempsey.isafreeagent.com

You might also find the related website http://bellchambers.isafreeagent.com useful.

Handy. Thanks.

SIGN
Baguley, Mark - 2015
Carlisle, Jake - 2015
Daniher, Joe - 2015
Fantasia, Orazio - 2015
Stanton, Brent - 2015
Hams, Will - 2015
Kavanagh, Elliott - 2015
Dalgleish, Lauchlan - 2015

Baggs and Joey are 1st team. So is Carlisle, but cut the crap and give him some time down back.
Orazio, Hams and Kav have all shown something and need to be played now.
Dal deserves a chance to after injuries and was firing before his injury this year. I think he’ll make it.
Give Stants another year but don’t expect him to provide the run he has… he can lead in the forward line - maybe the odd stint there?

PLAY THEM OR DELIST
O’Brien, Nick - 2015
Browne, Alex - 2015

These guys are racking up the touches in the 2s. Its time to give them a go and see how they fare. If not, delist and get what you really want- we are rubbish now so why you wouldn’t play them I don’t know.

CUT/DELIST/RETIRE

Chapman, Paul - 2015
Dempsey, Courtenay - 2015
Fletcher, Dustin - 2015
Winderlich, Jason - 2015
Pears, Tayte - 2015
Gwilt, James - 2015

Chap, Winders and Pears are done.
We can do better than Gwilt for a top up.
Trade Demps (if he gets picked again this year I’d consider it his last chance he’s 28 soon). I think he’d do well up in Brisbane.
Fletch is the only one here that commands his place in the side. It is a hard call, but we really are holding onto a player that contributes 10-12 games a year. I’d end it.

WAIT
Melksham, Jake - 2015
Bellchambers, Tom - 2015

The only possible saving grace for Melk is if Hocking is able to become the no1. tagger releasing Melk to provide some attacking footy, which when his confidence is up - is when he looks his best. Otherwise, we should look to chase or develop someone else who’s ceiling consistency-wise and ability wise is higher.

On Bellchambers, realistically I don’t think he’s as bad as what he’s put out this year. I would like to see him progress throughout the remainder of the year, win his place back and perform put in some solid (not even necessarily spectacular) performance.

I have set up a website to help educate people discussing trading Dempsey. It can be found at http://dempsey.isafreeagent.com

You might also find the related website http://bellchambers.isafreeagent.com useful.

Farkkkk, I feel like an idiot. Completely forgot Demps was a F.A. only cause that idea of trading him last year still in the back of my mind.

So, yeah, I’d be releasing Demps from his contract too. We’d get a mid 2nd rounder at best (IMO).

Delist: N/A

Retire/Give him a nudge: Paul Chapman

Retire: Jason Winderlich

Re-sign/His decision: Dustin Fletcher

Re-sign one year contract: Nick O’Brien, Alex Browne, Courtenay Dempsey, James Gwilt, Tayte Pears

Re-sign 2 year contract: Brent Stanton, Jake Mellshkam, Orazio Fantasia, Brent Stanton, Will Hams, Elliott Kavanagh

Re-sign 3+ year contract: Mark Baguley, Joe Daniher

Let he who cast the first stone be without sin/No-eyed dear/Wait and see: Tom Bellchambers, Lauchlan Dalgleish,

*Upgrade Shaun McKernan on a two year contract
*Upgrade Steinberg on a two year contract

Minimal participation in the draft, if at all (in violation of AFL rules).

BULLISH

#BackOurBoys

#ThisIsWhyIAmNotAnAFLListManager

If Pears gets a contract then burn the frigging lot down with everyone inside.

I had a laugh.

I’m not saying that statement is not 100% true and accurate and I’m not saying that I have any F^^^^^^ idea whatsoever, but, never-the-less:

Re-sign one year contract: Nick O’Brien, Alex Browne, Courtenay Dempsey, James Gwilt, Tayte Pears

Re-sign 2 year contract: Brent Stanton, Jake Mellshkam, Orazio Fantasia, Brent Stanton, Will Hams, Elliott Kavanagh

Let he who cast the first stone be without sin/No-eyed dear/Wait and see: Tom Bellchambers, Lauchlan Dalgleish,

BULLISH

#BackOurBoys

If Pears gets a contract then burn the frigging lot down with everyone inside.

BULLISH

#BackOurBoys

While you’re at it, could you start up a hot chicks thread as well?

Beautiful!

My god Daniher not signed yet?

Retire: Fletch/Chapman/Winderlich
Delisting: Pears/NO’B and maybe Hams and Browne.
Rookie delisting: Aylett. Rookie upgrades: McKernan and Steinberg
Possible trade bait: Howlett and Dempsey

I’d be releasing Bellchambers from his contract too on the basis an opposition ruckman has commited/signed a contract with us.

Cooney and Gwilt get an extra year to run out their current contract too.

15. Courtenay Dempsey - Trade to Carlton

http://dempsey.isafreeagent.com

Hilarity aside, you do actually realise you can trade a guy who’s out of contract? See Chapman, Crameri, Cooney, Monfries. You just don’t tend to get as much for them.

Yeah, I know, but we’d end up with a pick in the 50s or something (51 for Monfries, 84 for Chapman), which I don’t think is the result people intend when they say “trade”.
To be pedantic: Crameri wasn’t a free agent which makes it a whole different situation, and Cooney was still under contract.

1. Michael Hibberd - Keep, but put him on a diet and play him at half back
  1. Tom Bellchambers - Keep, but for farks sake give him a hand with another ruckman.

2. Paul Chapman - retire with dignity

3. Jobe Watson - Keep, but give him some support on the inside.

4. Brent Stanton - Keep, playing good footy and has a couple of years left.

5. Joe Daniher - Keep, build the team around him and tell him to act like a Daniher.

6. Zachary Merrett - Keep, nothing to say, kid is a champ

7. Jason Wimderlich - retire with dignity

8. Brendan Goddard - same as Stanton

9. Nick O’Brien - Give him some games in the firsts or sack him

10. David Zakaharis - Keep, and leave him in the forward line, or best bet at a dangerous small forward.

11. Mark Baguley - Keep, another champ.

12. Adam Cooney - retire with dignity

13. Jason Ashby - Keep, harness his anger and let him loose

14. Courtenay Dempsey - Trade to Carlton

15. Tayte Pears - trade to Richmond

16. Jake Melksham - trade to Port Melbpurne

17. Michael Hurley - Keep, another Champ, but play him forward

18. Shaun Edwards - Keep, let him run free

19. Jackson Merrett - keep, he can play, needs more time

20. Dyson Heppell - keep, another champ

21. Jake Carlisle - Keep, but play him back

22. David Myers - keep, could be a champ

23. Alex Browne - Keep and play him for 10 games or send him to Ballarat.

24. Arie

Ariel says screw you too.

15. Courtenay Dempsey - Trade to Carlton

http://dempsey.isafreeagent.com

Hilarity aside, you do actually realise you can trade a guy who’s out of contract? See Chapman, Crameri, Cooney, Monfries. You just don’t tend to get as much for them.

It would come down to what the player demands of the new club. If he refused to move under free-agency then it would force a trade.

Or go into the draft. Nothing stopping them.