Derek Kickett returning to Windy Hill

I don’t reckon he did much after that Bulldogs game, so that’s at least a month of being lucky to be in the team before he was ‘unlucky’ to be dropped for the GF.

I remembering thinking every week “come on, Derek, you’d better do something or you’ll be dropped”. It was no surprise. I did feel sorry for him though.

1 Like

He was in the worst two or three on ground 3 weeks in a row leading into the grand final.
Still not over it.

Who was fatter? D Kickett in the 1996 GF or S Dew in 2008?

Funny how they didn’t mention that when they asked him about it,. … but did mention that he’d kicked 8 goals 4 weeks beforehand against the Crows.

Also, Sheeds has said many times, that he’s asked Derek to have a talk about it numerous times, but that he’d always said he wasn’t ready to do so, … but Kickett said last night that he had tried to catch up with Sheeds but that he’d refused to talk with him…??

All seemed a tad convoluted & constructed TBH, … but to what end, fk nose?

1 Like

Just liz trying to justify sheeds not being elevated to legend status.

3 Likes

Wally was pretty good in the GF. Absolutely pole-axed Mil Hanna (would get about 15 weeks for that nowadays), and went forward to kick a couple (iirc?). I knew we would win the moment Hanna got laid out and no-one remonstrated with Wally.

Poor old Derek though. He was in shocking form through those finals, but there was no doubt the guy could play. Loved watching him do crazy things like getting a ball from the bottom of a pack and then just running backwards whilst no-one touched him.

7 Likes

A favourite memory as a kid down at Windy Hill was Derek drilling torps over and over again from 60 out after training. Didn’t miss many. Legendary

1 Like

As much as I’d love to… I can’t do the Wallis argument again. I swear I’ve done it right through about 5 times, and they all result in Reboot and me having long winded two day arguments.

2 Likes

What’s Flood but a second hand emotion?

19 Likes

Fair enough. Just as well his role in the 93 GF didn’t involve Excel Spreadsheets though.

3 Likes

DK is a liar

Agree with other posters, Kickett was woeful in the previous 3 games before the GF.

Sheedy has often said of the Kickett omission that either Kickett was dropped, or Tim Watson was dropped.

Sheeds should sleep very, very easily at night.

I don’t believe that crap about Watson. He was ok against Carlton in the QF and played a crucial role in the PF in the second half by throwing his body around at the packs and using deft touches such was his experience (and kicked the sealer).

Wallis came in for Kickett and kicked 2 goals. In hindsight it wouldn’t have mattered but we weren’t to know.

And you guys are being kind to DK. I only way he’s the highlight on Saturday night highlights but even against Geelong (last game before the bye) he didn’t do much either (granted we lost by 5 goals). Maybe remind “Mahery” it was 6 weeks since he kicked that bag and actually didnt kick a goal since that bag until the 2nd quarter of the PF.

Wallis stats were less important than his role in protecting the playmakers who played with more confidence when he was around.

4 Likes

Did something happen?

1 Like

I love Timmy, but his finals campaign was ■■■■ aside from a couple of moments in the PF.

Having said that, I’d rather any of the players who could have been swapped out for Kickett have the medallion. I’m fine with his omission.

Watson kicked 4 against Carlton, I think, then 2 in the prelim including the sealer.

Even down at Geelong, Kickett had a stinker trying bombs from 75m when there were open targets. His finals were horrible.

1 Like

Kickett’s claim that he had had words with Sheedy a few weeks earlier which led, in his view, to Sheedy dropping him for the GF suggests that there was more than just team balance at play here as Sheedy had claimed. I’d never heard D Kickett claim that before. Having said that, is dropping someone because you don’t like them personally an illegitimate reason to exclude a bloke? I’m not sure it is. Unsavory, yes but illegitimate?

My memory is pretty hazy, but didint he spend significant time on the bench in one/some of those games. Like sat out over half the game, so of course had no impact on the game.