DIY Painting

Pay someone else to do it…works a treat and you won’t get a drop of paint on yourself!

It’s not the painting i hate, it’s the prep work.

Are u painting over existing paint or fresh on new plaster. Clean well for the former and spend time on proper prep for the latter and use a good under coat.

We're painting over existing paint, and we'll use sugar soap to clean it first, plus we'll fix any holes with filla and then sand and prime and sand...

Question, if there's marks on the wall that dont come off with sugar soap, can i sand them off?

And I notice Dulux has a ceiling paint that goes on pink so you can see if you've missed bits, but it drys a flat white... Anyone used this? Sounds like the way to go...

Two tips I learnt from doing a bad paint job on a room:

1. Don't paint when it's hot, the damn stuff dries to quick to even out the paint.

2. Thin the paint out a little with water, this will make application much easier.

Yeah sand back, fill if needed to get it flat

Pay someone else to do it...works a treat and you won't get a drop of paint on yourself!
It's not the painting i hate, it's the prep work.

Bingo.
I did enough painting in our place to know I shouldn't do any more. Ended up just saving enough to pay someone else. Even a cheap painter will do a better job than a weekend warrior.

Bump!

Got the keys to the new joint and 3 days in (1 just me, the other 2 with the Mrs helping) and we’ve done ceilings and walls (2 coats) in 4 bedrooms and the entrance and hallway. Hard work and a bit diddly but enjoying it, better now the crickets on!

Mrs wannabe has been a real trooper cutting in for me and giving a crap about doing the ornamental cornices properly. Found some muscles I haven’t used for a while too…(insert ironic joke re: having the painters in…hmph)

Anyway only need to do the lounge and kitchen/family area before the Flores get sanded/polished and the carpets go in, so all on track so far, but the doors/trim will be an ongoing process.

Gone through heaps of paint too, glad I bought 15L tubs as we are onto 2nd 15L tubs for bit ceiling and wall paint and will likely need more of both (Dulux).

The roller cleaner works a charm…until this evening when the dghfbskhbfksks roller cover stayed inside it when I pulled the roller spine thing out…I reckon I’ve lost it forever now…

Exhausted…

You missed a spot

Just follow the numbers in the book, and you should be fine, so long as you stay within the lines. 

You missed a spot

No, you only notice that 6 months later when you can't be stuffed fixing it.

Pay someone else to do it...works a treat and you won't get a drop of paint on yourself!
It's not the painting i hate, it's the prep work.

Bingo.
I did enough painting in our place to know I shouldn't do any more. Ended up just saving enough to pay someone else. Even a cheap painter will do a better job than a weekend warrior.

And while they're painting you can be drinking beer somewhere else. Works for me.

Well 16 ceiling coats and 16 wall coats and we are finshed....just need to do the trim now, but that's not urgent.

It looks great, we've done a pretty good job though we could have done more prep work or taken a bit more care in a few places, but the place looks heaps better now the lavender and biege walls are gone.

I did the main living/kitchen/meals area by myself yesterday, lots of annoyingly small areas to paint (twice), like above doorways/windows/study nook/bar. Each coat took me 2 hours going flat out, so with prep work and cleaning up, plus un-taping everything, orgainising all my tools and folding drop sheets, putting rubbish out, 2 trips to Bunnings etc it was a farking long day...

Been a farking long week actually with early starts, could do with a good massage too.

Would I do it again? Yep. Just not for a while. Reckon I'd be happy to help out mates though provided they aren't ■■■■ about the finish.

Lol…the trim won’t take long to do. Brother. It. Never. Ends.