DIY Painting

Anyone got experiences with interior painting? I'm about to embark on a pretty big job since I've never painted much except a fence and some stairs...

We are thinking of just using a flat white on the ceiling & cornices, and then a low sheen white on the walls. We'll probably go with "Natural White" or something similar...Ive been learning a lot of different names for "white" lately! Then I guess we'll use a slightly (almost undetectably) darker shade of acrylic on the skirting boards and door frames etc.

Does that sound like the normal thing to do? As I said I haven't done it before...

Also what about different brands of paint? Dulux seems pretty popular and apparently they make Berger too, albeit a bit cheaper? And then there's Wattyl, Taubmans (most expensive?), British Paints and I saw Haymes at Paint Spot the other day - never heard of it but they were telling me it's all the same. Is it cheaper to get it all from Bunnings? Looks like I will be buying 15 litre tins too...

So which is the best? I guess I want paint that's easy to apply, easy to clean marks off and will last. Im happy to save money but not if it will look crap or not last as long. This is our own place not a rental or anything so we'll appreciate doing it properly for years to come.

Any tips? We intend to start in the kid's room, then the spare bedroom, then the study and then our room. Followed by the long hall and then the lounge room. Ceiling, then door frames, then walls?

i usually get Dulux, the father in law swears by it, and hes a perfectionist. id recommend getting a few colour sample pots for about $5 at bunnings, slap some on the wall and see what it looks like. you can also go to paint shops where tradies go, theres a few around melbourne, whch might be cheaper. serioulsy there couldnt be that much difference in the paint, and you will probably paint it a new colour before it starts coming off. but dont be afraid of a bit of colour. 

you will need to do 2 (more if you need) coats for a nice finish. and use a good quality roller, but you can get cheap ones and throw them when they are cactus.

I prefer to paint as much of the one job as you can in one day, its  ■■■■■ to have to come back and do another wall or whatever. so if you can send the wife and kids out for the day, put the cricket on the radio and just motor through it.

make sure you clean up any drips on the wall otherwise it will look ■■■ once its dried, and you will have to sand it back.

second best thing ever invented is a roller cleaner where you hook it onto a hose, and it stands up like a little tripod. put the roller in and the water spins the roller at about 10,000 rpm and cleans it in no time.

if you are painting acrylic, make sure you are not painting over enamel, it just doesnt stick and looks like ■■■, chips off at the slightest touch.

i usually get Dulux, the father in law swears by it, and hes a perfectionist. id recommend getting a few colour sample pots for about $5 at bunnings, slap some on the wall and see what it looks like. you can also go to paint shops where tradies go, theres a few around melbourne, whch might be cheaper. serioulsy there couldnt be that much difference in the paint, and you will probably paint it a new colour before it starts coming off. but dont be afraid of a bit of colour. 

you will need to do 2 (more if you need) coats for a nice finish. and use a good quality roller, but you can get cheap ones and throw them when they are cactus.

I prefer to paint as much of the one job as you can in one day, its  ***** to have to come back and do another wall or whatever. so if you can send the wife and kids out for the day, put the cricket on the radio and just motor through it.

make sure you clean up any drips on the wall otherwise it will look ■■■ once its dried, and you will have to sand it back.

second best thing ever invented is a roller cleaner where you hook it onto a hose, and it stands up like a little tripod. put the roller in and the water spins the roller at about 10,000 rpm and cleans it in no time.

if you are painting acrylic, make sure you are not painting over enamel, it just doesnt stick and looks like ■■■, chips off at the slightest touch.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like I'm on the right track, which is a bit of a relief.

oh, and if you are using acrylic, that ■■■■ stinks, for ages, so the mrs will hit the roof.

What's a good tape to use to cover frames and so forth?

I use that blue stuff, works well, but it can be a bit pricey…

The tip from the father in law?

Buy the Masking Tape from Sams Warehouse, hey there’s one right here in Northcote. It’s cheaper and crapper than normal masking tale, with very little adhesive. Which makes I perfect for removing after painting!

Is your father-in-aw a painter? Seems to know his stuff.

Is your father-in-aw a painter? Seems to know his stuff.

hard to find good help these days

What's a good tape to use to cover frames and so forth?

3M is the only way to go.

I prefer to paint as much of the one job as you can in one day, its  ***** to have to come back and do another wall or whatever. so if you can send the wife and kids out for the day, put the cricket on the radio and just motor through it.

Also be careful so you don't miss bits. Sometimes it's really hard to see so have good lighting. Painting with a roller also means you need to be reasonably quick because if it dries on the edges of the roller stroke you'll get lumps!

There are also a yellow 'edging' brush (it's like a foam pad with roller wheels on one side) which is worth the investment. Saves you painting them manually and removes the need of a steady hand!

+1 for Dulux as well. Avoid the 'one coat' paint as you will still need 2 coats.

For 15 litre tins I can't emphasise enough about mixing well. In particular for light colours. There isn't much pigment to mix in so if you do a half assed job you may end up with two shades of the colour you want.

NEVER use a cheap paint on a ceiling. The more expensive paints are generally a lot thicker. Thin paints and a ceiling = big mess.

reckon its also worth considering using a primer, depends on the existing paint work. but ive always thought of getting the primer tinted the same as the top coat, then do one of primer, two of top coat. 

seriously though, painting during cricket season is great. just put the radio on, and go for it.

A few golden rules:

1.  Prepare and clean surfaces thoroughly and patch any holes etc before you think of opening the paint.

2.  Take your time - a rushed job will be a poor job.

3.  Make sure you have all your stuff with you before you dip the brush ( ladder, dropsheets, rags for spillages, turps etc)

4.  Never ever get stuck into the beers or you will end up with a dog's breakfast and paint everywhere it shoudn't be.

As far as paint goes, I've had great results from Dulux, Berger and Haymes.   Don't go near British Paints is the word.

Are u painting over existing paint or fresh on new plaster. Clean well for the former and spend time on proper prep for the latter and use a good under coat.

lol. who gets stuck into the beers while theyer painting? 

(maybe im doing it wrong...)

Give Haymes a miss, we had many problems with it.

Dulux is best, and consider getting a Dulux colour consultant in to help with colour and paint type suggestions. It costs but you get discounts off Dulux paint and it could end up cheaper. They do give very good advice.

Some great stuff in here! Have to paint soon for the first time soon.

Now in regards to cleaning the previous surface, what's a good strong liquid I guess to use to remove stains, old blu tac, etc?

Sugar soap

Sugar soap

sweet and sudsy.

works a treat

you will need to do 2 (more if you need) coats for a nice finish. and use a good quality roller, but you can get cheap ones and throw them when they are cactus.
I prefer to paint as much of the one job as you can in one day, its ***** to have to come back and do another wall or whatever. so if you can send the wife and kids out for the day, put the cricket on the radio and just motor through it.

Also be careful so you don't miss bits. Sometimes it's really hard to see so have good lighting. Painting with a roller also means you need to be reasonably quick because if it dries on the edges of the roller stroke you'll get lumps!
There are also a yellow 'edging' brush (it's like a foam pad with roller wheels on one side) which is worth the investment. Saves you painting them manually and removes the need of a steady hand!

Absolutely get an edging brush. Do not muck around or ignore this.
We painted our joint over New Years. We have a bit of a cathedral ceiling which gets up to about 5m high. Ended up needing 3 coats. Get yourself a crapload of drop sheets, you'll need more than you think, not worth the hassle of trying to move or re-use them.