Dodoro and 'Mat Suckling'

They had to insert the Essendon and Dodoro stuff to gain him sympathy and get the haters foaming, and clicks on the article. The reality is he burnt a bridge. I would imagine the email he sent was worded a little stronger than he paraphrased in the article too. I just see an unprofessional kid, with a bad attitude that wasn’t touched by any club. And in the end, as bad as he was, Quinn still had a better career than this Suckerling.

5 Likes

Couldn’t disagree more.

I am an unabashed Dodoro fan but if you can’t get over the fact that a kid, when he was 19 years old and missed out on his dream career, wrote a ■■■■■■ email to you, and are using it as a reason not to recruit him to even the VFL side 6 years later, that’s petty and immature. And I’m hoping it isn’t emblematic of any other irrationality from the man elsewhere in recruiting.

Not that it matters as odds are he wouldn’t end up being drafted at all anyway much less be any sort of AFL player. But that sort of behaviour is ridiculous IMO

FYI I’m pretty sure we went through something similar with Carlisle (was it?)

The kid was delusional and felt entitled. More to it

3 Likes

I know a recruiter for an AFL club and you might be surprised at what they reject potential recruits over. A lot more is made of their backgrounds, attitudes, family values, even their family members these days. You have to be an absolute gun for a club to take you on if you’ve got non footy related ‘issues’.

1 Like

I never seen the bloke play & no idea if he’d be any good at AFL level.

But if your upset about a bloke sending an angry email saying “I’m going to prove you picked the wrong bloke”…
I’m not exactly sure why that’s not the type of person you wouldn’t want at a club. We need more players with a bee in the bonnet. You don’t need nice guys. Especially in 2008 FFS.

1 Like

Agree, that would have endeared me to him more

2 Likes

Not everyone can be Blaine Boekhorst.

6 Likes

Sandringham Suckling sounds like a tool. Good on Dodoro for making sure tools don’t make it to the list.

3 Likes

I don’t know if he would have made it at AFL level or not but he was a very good SANFL player and would’ve been a decent VFL player. Often the hardest part is initially getting on to a list but I can comfortably say that Mat is a better footballer than plenty that are on a list currently.
He is a ripper of a bloke aswell

3 Likes

Yawn.

Does Dodoro even have anything to do with who our VFL team drafts in?

Also, … they only have Sucklings version of what was actually said in the Email, … “Oh it was just like, . you’re gonna regret this etc”.

Not like he’d play it down or anything in HIS story, … is it?

2 Likes

No, it read “Coats are better than Jackets”

1 Like

I dunno if it’s being rejected as much as being pushed down the list. They’re just working out whether A is ahead of B, or behind. On the total pckage.

But if you’ve gotten through to the last round of the rookie draft… a) nobody rates you and b) you absolutely are not in a position to step out of line.

I’d suspect so. Seems like it would be a waste of a lot of scouting work not to ask the people who spend all year watching non-AFL footballers who they think would be good players at state level.

2 Likes

100% this

1 Like

you have good letters and bad letters, i preferred Angus monfries.

You wrote a letter of introduction to every AFL club at age 12. That’s unusual, Angus.

I was just eager to let the recruiting staff and AFL coaches know that I was around. I was making sure they knew who I was and if I was good enough to make it, then they knew a little bit about me.

7 Likes

Now that’s Essendon

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool.
Remember that one really good game he played against Adelaide (over there) where it looked like Monfries might fulfil his potential?

1 Like

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yep probably 99% accurate HAP, but I know of 1 occasion at least where a guy was rejected because of his mother’s interference, even at the early stages. I’m sure there’s a tipping point where a player’s football potential outweighs any perceived outside problems but on this occasion the club reluctantly passed on him.