Does Size Matter?

Young fellow playing for Claremont (WAFL) colts, Jacob Sideris. Plays midfield. Averages 27 possessions, 5 tackles, 4 marks and 1 goal per game in 2016. H: 165cms W: 67kgs.

You’d want to see him complete a season in the seniors to see how he goes but is there still a place for small players who can find the ball?

Does he have speed and good kicking skills?

Surely Caleb Daniel has answered the question?

1 bloke at 165cms out of 600+ listed players doesn’t really answer the question.

Does he have speed and good kicking skills?
He does. Kicks with very high efficiency.

By the way, I’m not suggesting Essendon should recruit him, rather should players of this type should be considered without bias.

1 bloke at 165cms out of 600+ listed players doesn't really answer the question.

Well, it does, really.
Shorter players can be fantastic if they have the necessary skills… kinda like taller players, come to think about it. Far less of these shorter players are given the chance, develop confidence and skill, and are finally picked up by the highest level, so numbers and stats are dramatically skewed. For example, I could easily rattle off 10 times the quantity of 6’+ players that failed the grade.

Much tougher for smaller guys to make it these days. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a place for a good one though.

Speaking to Simon Madden a few years back. He said he started his career as a tall ruckman. Ended it as a small ruckman and today he’d be a half back flank.

If you are good enough you are big enough.

198cm. would at least be a forward/second ruck in todays game.
Doubt HBF.

I had an extended argument with someone on here, can’t remember who, about whether we should draft Caleb Daniel. I was on the very much wrong side that he was too short. Is there such a thing as too short? No. Does size matter? Yes. A lot. If you have two players of otherwise identical skill and agilty levels, you always take the taller one. If they’re the same height, you take the bigger one. If you’re a big tall player you can get onto at least a rookie list as long as you can tie your own shoelaces and run a 3km.

Relatedly, I think three things have helped the increase of shorter players into the AFL. First, two extra teams have stretched the talent thin, so teams are picking up players that they would have previously dismissed out of hand. Second, kicking skill has increased in value over the last few years, so being a very good kick can make up for not being able to win a marking contest against a gnome. Third, the more aggressive interpretation of head high contact means that short players are often getting free kicks for high contact where previously they would have been giving away free kicks for holding the ball.

Size only matters if you are after hedgehogs. For AFL footballers, if you have the talent/skills, you are big enough.

Clearly size does matter, very few players are drafted at this size. You certainly need more natural weapons at that size to find yourself on a list. Exceptional pace, elite ball use or Daniels case elite decision making.

Clearly size does matter, very few players are drafted at this size. You certainly need more natural weapons at that size to find yourself on a list. Exceptional pace, elite ball use or Daniels case elite decision making.

You need to have several “elite” parts to your game to compensate for the lack of height. Caleb has an enormous tank, great speed, super competitive, some of the best decision making and general awareness you will see…

Does size matter? Imo depends on the position/role (I’ve given everything a plus score /5 based on how much I think size matters, factoring in bulk as well as height)
Ruckman +++++
Key forward +++
Key defender ++++
Medium forward ++
Medium defender +++
Small forward +
Small defender ++
Inside midfielder ++++
Outside midfielder +

Size only matters if you are after hedgehogs. For AFL footballers, if you have the talent/skills, you are big enough.
The hedgehog made quite a bit of money due to his size.

And I’m only 5’6"…

1 bloke at 165cms out of 600+ listed players doesn't really answer the question.

Well, it does, really.
Shorter players can be fantastic if they have the necessary skills… kinda like taller players, come to think about it. Far less of these shorter players are given the chance, develop confidence and skill, and are finally picked up by the highest level, so numbers and stats are dramatically skewed. For example, I could easily rattle off 10 times the quantity of 6’+ players that failed the grade.

Yes. This.

There is a good line in that movie draft day where he says something along the lines of ‘everybody has a fault, you just have to find what it is and can we live with it’

I think short players are the same, it doesn’t matter if they are short, as long as they have attributes that make it not matter.

Daniel has amazing skills and footy nous.

Colyer has amazing, nous, speed and running patterns

Ask Majak Daw if size matters

198cm. would at least be a forward/second ruck in todays game. Doubt HBF.

Simon Madden exaggerate, I find that hard to believe.