Draft wrap up

Dodoro has an interesting philosophy about draft. He says first rounder is for elite kids and 2nd is for kids with the most upside.

Now even if a elite kid slides it seems he would pick the kid with the most upside.

When you think about it Steinberg over Parker is based on this philosophy.

From Gary Buckenara in the Herald Sun:

Essendon would be happy with what they did. Andy McGrath with pick No.1 is a powerful player who breaks the lines, uses the ball extremely well and is dynamic. I have no doubt he will slot into Essendon’s best team next year. I like the selections of Jordan Ridley, Kobe Mutch and Dylan Clarke but Josh Begley was a bit of a surprise. Begley has a big body and probably hasn’t done much in terms of pre-season so there should be some big improvement in him and won’t be intimidated at AFL level but it’s whether he’ll be able to adapt. Ridley has the body to play next year, as does Mutch and Clarke but with a number of players coming back from suspension, expect most of these guys to develop through the VFL.

Bucky’s verdict: The Bombers did very well, as you’d expect with the No.1 pick plus some other high selections. They brought in some pace, which was an area that needed to be bolstered so that’s a big tick. I had Clarke ranked in my top 50 and they were able to get him at No.63.

Also:

Essendon has emerged as one of the big winners from the AFL draft

KATE SALEMME, Herald Sun
November 26, 2016 8:38pm

ESSENDON has emerged as one of the big winners from Friday night’s national draft, but not entirely as a result of its prized No. 1 selection.

The Bombers took Sandringham’s Andy McGrath with the first pick, narrowly ahead of Hugh McCluggage and Will Setterfield, but it was the players taken with later selections that caught the eye of ex-Hawthorn recruiter Gary Buckenara.

Kobe Mutch landed at Essendon with pick No. 42 after GWS opted not to match the bid for its academy midfielder, while Eastern Ranges onballer Dylan Clarke — taken at No. 63 — was one of the sliders.

Buckenara, who revealed his top 50 draft talents in an exclusive for the Herald Sun in the lead-up to the draft, had Mutch ranked at No. 13 and Clarke at 40.

“Essendon would be very pleased with their effort,” Buckenara told the Herald Sun.

“Probably out of the Victorian clubs, I would have thought Essendon did the best.

“To me it seems like Essendon did their homework on the talent and the talent flow very well and added more good young players to come onto that list. They’ve got a good haul.

“Mutch was Bendigo’s best player. He’s a nice size, he kicks the ball really well on both sides of his body and is a bit of a playmaker. He has some x-factor.

“He could end up being a really good AFL player if he develops and improves himself in the AFL environment, he has some real upside.

“I rated him pretty highly and to get him where they did was a very good pick.

“Clarke is still improving but he’ll be that really athletic midfielder. He’s very good at stoppages and wins his own ball inside, he just needs to do a little bit of work on his kicking.

“Outside of that he’s a nice sized midfielder with a good strong body.

“Both were rated highly in this draft and to get them late was a great result.”

Mutch and Clarke will join prized recruit McGrath, Jordan Ridley (No. 22) and Josh Begley (No. 31) at Essendon next year.

Buckenara expects McGrath to step straight into coach John Worsfold’s best 22, while he believes Ridley, Mutch and Clarke are all capable of playing senior football in 2017.

After rating McCluggage as the best player in this year’s draft pool, Buckenara wasn’t surprised to see him edged by classy halfback/midfielder McGrath.

“They’re both really good players,” Buckenara said. “We said it was a toss of the coin and they made the call they think is right but only time will tell whether it’s the right one over McCluggage.

“Both were highly touted players for picks one or two and I’m happy for it (to be McGrath).

“McGrath is a powerful player, a great talent and certainly has that ability to break the lines, change direction and use the ball well. He’s a dynamic type of player.

“Hopefully the number one mantle doesn’t affect him too much and he’ll just get on and continue his improvement.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-has-emerged-as-one-of-the-big-winners-from-the-afl-draft/news-story/8f5de4a1e0903976b1f932d552b99268

Essendon would be happy with what they did. Andy McGrath with pick No.1 is a powerful player who breaks the lines, uses the ball extremely well and is dynamic. I have no doubt he will slot into Essendon’s best team next year. I like the selections of Jordan Ridley, Kobe Mutch and Dylan Clarke but Josh Begley was a bit of a surprise. Begley has a big body and probably hasn’t done much in terms of pre-season so there should be some big improvement in him and won’t be intimidated at AFL level but it’s whether he’ll be able to adapt. Ridley has the body to play next year, as does Mutch and Clarke but with a number of players coming back from suspension, expect most of these guys to develop through the VFL.

Bucky’s verdict: The Bombers did very well, as you’d expect with the No.1 pick plus some other high selections. They brought in some pace, which was an area that needed to be bolstered so that’s a big tick. I had Clarke ranked in my top 50 and they were able to get him at No.63.

Also:

KATE SALEMME, Herald Sun

ESSENDON has emerged as one of the big winners from Friday night’s national draft, but not entirely as a result of its prized No. 1 selection.

The Bombers took Sandringham’s Andy McGrath with the first pick, narrowly ahead of Hugh McCluggage and Will Setterfield, but it was the players taken with later selections that caught the eye of ex-Hawthorn recruiter Gary Buckenara.

Kobe Mutch landed at Essendon with pick No. 42 after GWS opted not to match the bid for its academy midfielder, while Eastern Ranges onballer Dylan Clarke — taken at No. 63 — was one of the sliders.

Buckenara, who revealed his top 50 draft talents in an exclusive for the Herald Sun in the lead-up to the draft, had Mutch ranked at No. 13 and Clarke at 40.

“Essendon would be very pleased with their effort,” Buckenara told the Herald Sun.

“Probably out of the Victorian clubs, I would have thought Essendon did the best.

“To me it seems like Essendon did their homework on the talent and the talent flow very well and added more good young players to come onto that list. They’ve got a good haul.

“Mutch was Bendigo’s best player. He’s a nice size, he kicks the ball really well on both sides of his body and is a bit of a playmaker. He has some x-factor.

“He could end up being a really good AFL player if he develops and improves himself in the AFL environment, he has some real upside.

“Clarke is still improving but he’ll be that really athletic midfielder. He’s very good at stoppages and wins his own ball inside, he just needs to do a little bit of work on his kicking.

Mutch and Clarke will join prized recruit McGrath, Jordan Ridley (No. 22) and Josh Begley (No. 31) at Essendon next year.

Buckenara expects McGrath to step straight into coach John Worsfold’s best 22, while he believes Ridley, Mutch and Clarke are all capable of playing senior football in 2017.

After rating McCluggage as the best player in this year’s draft pool, Buckenara wasn’t surprised to see him edged by classy halfback/midfielder McGrath.

“They’re both really good players,” Buckenara said. “We said it was a toss of the coin and they made the call they think is right but only time will tell whether it’s the right one over McCluggage.

“Both were highly touted players for picks one or two and I’m happy for it (to be McGrath).

“McGrath is a powerful player, a great talent and certainly has that ability to break the lines, change direction and use the ball well. He’s a dynamic type of player.

“Hopefully the number one mantle doesn’t affect him too much and he’ll just get on and continue his improvement.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-has-emerged-as-one-of-the-big-winners-from-the-afl-draft/news-story/8f5de4a1e0903976b1f932d552b99268

Shove that in your socks and smoke it doubters!

dont’ give a ■■■■ what draft experts think, wheres the ■■■■■■■ interviews

seeing McGrath and Worsfold on stage together, sort of made me think that Worsfold wanted a player like himself in the team. Tough, fast, solid with leadership ability…nailed it!

The other players have similar attributes too. Think he wanted to recruit some mongrels.

I don’t see mcgrath ironing out other players.

I don't see mcgrath ironing out other players.

Gonna love seeing him iron out Clug :slight_smile:

Maybe not, but he’ll be hurdling over packs Watson sr style till the early morn…

Yet

Also:

KATE SALEMME, Herald Sun

Smoke your socks?

Being Canadian, he'd apologise and help them up.

Also:

KATE SALEMME, Herald Sun

Did Humble Minion read this?

The thing I like about all the players we picked is that they are all coachable and take advice and work hard on fixing things and do all they can to improve. For instance Ridley was a forward for his whole junior career but was then asked to play defence in his draft year. Enicially he wasn’t happy about it but he worked hard to make the position his own and he did it with flying colours. Was played all over the place and Essendon seems to love doing that to guys haha to know he has the character and discipline to make the most out of any position reminds me of Hooker and more people like Hooker in our team the better

But but but Benfti said we had a terrible draft and we didn’t pick his favorite players. May as well tear up my membership right now.

Not sure what people’s beef is with Benfti and HM and others having their own thoughts on how they rated our draft and having opinions on who they personally would have liked to see in Essendon colours.

It’s like if you don’t ■■■■■■■ everyone involved at the club you are somehow not a true supporter or a sook. Rubbish.

It doesn’t have to correlate with Gary Buckenara or journos or whoever.

At the end of the day we’ll get behind our boys 100% irrespective of personal preferences for players we didn’t recruit or whatever.

Not sure what people's beef is with Benfti and HM and others having their own thoughts on how they rated our draft and having opinions on who they personally would have liked to see in Essendon colours.

It’s like if you don’t ■■■■■■■ everyone involved at the club you are somehow not a true supporter or a sook. Rubbish.

At the end of the day we’ll get behind our boys 100% irrespective of personal preferences for players we didn’t recruit or whatever.

Agree. I just like discussing it with them.
Not sure what people's beef is with Benfti and HM and others having their own thoughts on how they rated our draft and having opinions on who they personally would have liked to see in Essendon colours.

Let’s just say Benfti’s draft methodology is a little bit flawed.
But but but Benfti said we had a terrible draft and we didn't pick his favorite players. May as well tear up my membership right now.

I trust our club recruiters as they have done an excellent job over the last 3 to 4 drafts. Sorry but I can’t stand these so called amateur experts blowing off, who we should have taken. I will trust our professional recruiters not our amateur experts.

But but but Benfti said we had a terrible draft and we didn't pick his favorite players. May as well tear up my membership right now.

I trust our club recruiters as they have done an excellent job over the last 3 to 4 drafts. Sorry but I can’t stand these so called amateur experts blowing off, who we should have taken. I will trust our professional recruiters not our amateur experts.

If you can’t stand it maybe don’t read the thread created specifically to discuss people’s opinions on the draft? I mean, if you want to disagree with people, go wild. But perhaps just telling people that they shouldn’t have an opinion isn’t very constructive.

trust people blindly to do their job. get drug saga.

question the club, ‘worst supporters every’

At least HM and ben ■■■■■■■ explain why they’re against something. they don’t just go ‘well the club must ■■■■■■■ know, they know how to get us a flag’

gee its not like we haven’t won one in the last 16 years. or even a final, or ■■■■■■■ anything.