Draft wrap up

I think we did OK overall;

Still pleasantly surprised that Clarke was available at that pick, bit of a steal there and being McGrath’s best mate the icing. Thought he’d go a lot higher, and long-term he fills an area of need post-Jobe, BJ, Hocking. Just wait until Norf use the whole Clarke brothers thing to try and further stir up their idea of a ‘fierce rivalry.’

Seems like there’s a heap of upside with all our selections. Begley in particular seems a really interesting one who could turn himself into an out and out beast, he is already there in size so adding fitness will be of great benefit. From the few clips I’ve seen he’s kicked some impressive goals and lots of them too.

All five boys Victorians too I believe? (may be incorrect)

Happy enough in the end, I too felt a little underwhelmed with some of the players we couldn’t get but a lot of that was out of our control. Btw I am already so over the academy **** and those spoonfed ***** getting everything they wish for. They would’ve picked up more players than members this week.

#donthemapleleaf

Uninspired... Do we have the lowest number of Aboriginal players in the comp now? So very disappointed we didn't pick Long or Rioli. We have a relationship with Tiwi supposedly but don't seem to be capitalising on it. Hope the new recruits do well but... meh.

Depends on what we do with Eades/rookie draft, as of right now, yes, but don’t remind me

time will tell, but reckon we blew a monster opportunity to set the clubs midfield up for the next decade.

so much hinges on how our later picks pan out…

How? I’m seriously curious about this.

We got the guy who dominated Division 1 champs for clearances in the winning side (Clarke). We got the guy who dominated Division 2 in the same way, and is meant to be a clean user inside/outside (Mutch). We got one of the dominant midfielders of the TAC who had more clearances than McCluggage despite spending some time in defence, and who can break lines and is a clean ball user (McGrath). We got a guy who can legitimately kick bags as a small forward, but also go into the midfield and still get goals.

The last guy isn’t a mid, but did win the combine goal kicking, and may be the guy to shred a team’s zone - which indirectly aids the midfield.

So I find your comment interesting as it feels to me the midfield was the focus. Especially boosting our future clearance ability.

It’s too early to tell how we’ve done on individual players, as you really don’t know until they play senior footy.

I look at it by player ‘types’ and addressing list needs.

I know everybody wants McGrath to be a midfielder - and he very well may - but if he’s a hard tackling, fast running, rebounding half back, who can also play a shut down role, then he covers a great deal of our issues in defence.

Ridley seems to be the strange one for me, not sure we needed another undersized / not-quite-key-position player. I reckon we’ve got that covered, but guys who can intercept mark are very valuable, so we’ll see.

Begley is a hard one to gauge. Not sure where he’ll end up, but he’s a great set shot goal kicker, so that’s one weakness addressed.

Mutch and Clarke are addressing a long term need rather than a short term. We are stacked with inside mids, but they aren’t exactly a young bunch. Not sure we needed both of them though.

We are still short a ruckman, but there is no point listing one just for the sake of it, and I’m one that’s happy to keep Mckernan for another year.

It would have been nice to add some outside pace to the mix, but let’s see what we do with the rookie draft.

It’s a little underwhelming a draft as far as cult heros goes, but that doesn’t mean it’s unsuccessful.

As always, time will tell. If we’ve pulled 3 future best 22 players out of this, then we’ve done well enough. Any more than that and we’ve killed it.

Take colyer, Raz and Walla out of our side and aside from Morgan we would be one of the slowest teams in the AFL, we really needed pace

Im pretty sure if you went back and got Geelong’s 2001 draftees pre-draft descriptions, most here would read them as vanilla and not too different to these players descriptions. Not to say they’ll turn out like Bartel, Kelly, Gardiner, Johnson and Ablett, but that they don’t have to be excitement machines or full of x-factor to be successes.

Time will tell.

Take colyer, Raz and Walla out of our side and aside from Morgan we would be one of the slowest teams in the AFL, we really needed pace

Why would you take them out though?

Mckenna is quick. Long is still listed, Eades might still be rookied.

I reckon we’ve had substantially slower lists.

McGrath has plenty of pace as well. Colyer, Walla, McGrath, Fantasia, McKenna are all fast, and are best 22 or pushing soon. With Long and Morgan on the sidelines. Seems ok to me.

I reckon this will be a draft where will come out looking like geniuses or idiots

It was a ripper crop this year and I’m underwhelmed with what we ended up with TBH

You are going to have mammoth egg on your face in 2 seasons time.

McGrath: Well, I would have picked differently, but I’ve got plenty wrong before. He is a very, very good player and you can almost lock him in for 200 games. At the very, very least (barring career-ending injuries and the like) you have the guy who’ll be the best small defender in the comp for a long time - everyone talks up his midfield potential, but for a top draft pick to have the ability and team-mindedness to go back when necessary and completely blanket a dangerous forward like Ainsworth or Stephenson (while still getting 25+ touches himself) is a really, really rare thing. More likely, he’s a dynamic, creative, aggressive midfielder for a long time. basically ready to go - he can play and contribute from round 1 next year. His game is a lot like Zerrett’s imho, buzzing around, accumulating, involving himself in everything, both attacking and tackling. Fast hands, attacking mindset, clutch 4th qtr performer. As is true with almost every #1 pick in history, someone drafted after than him will probably turn out to be the better player (yes, I still believe that McCluggage is a more naturally talented player and can do things McGrath will never be able to do), but nonetheless he’ll be very very good and is a much surer bet of reaching his full potential than McC is I reckon, even though McCs ceiling might be higher.

Ridley is one I’ve seen basically nothing of. I attended only a couple of his games this year (one quarter vs Calder in a smacking, and a game against Nth Ballarat when i wasn’t watching him…) and he kinda got lost in the crowd of identical light-brown-haired 185-190cm Oakleigh running utility/mids. Stats tell me he was used as a designated kicker. Large number of handball receives, very high kicking efficiency.

Begley is our annual upside pick. Very limited exposure at the top level due to coming into the TAC program late and drastically out of shape, fits our 2nd round drafting philosophy perfectly. Following in the footsteps of 2nd round upside picks like Steinberg, Zerrett, and Morgan, so that 2nd round philosophy has its conspicuous successes, conspicuous failures, and some which are as yet undecided! I was at approx 1 and 1/4 of his games, and have to admit I didn’y particularly notice him at all. Bear in mind though, the 1/4 was the final qtr of the Ranges last final, and by all reports his lack of conditioning means he runs out of gas early at this point, so I probably missed the best of him. He kicked 2.2 and was named in the best from that game, according to the stats.

Mutch I’ve only seen a little of, but what I did see I liked. Honest as the day is long, big-bodied inside guy. Hocking is an EFC comparison I’d make. Hard worker, slightly weird hunched way of running, can rack up the ball, disposal by foot is ok but certainly nothing special. I rated him higher than he went - from what i saw he was one of the Allies’ best performers at u18 champs level, even matched up very well against guys like Brodie. I’m not sure he’s got the extra time/space that you look for from the very best inside guys, but he seems to have solid instincts and a good knowledge of where his teammates are. Inside mids are the type of player I personally find hardest to judge - which ones are going to be able to translate their game to the next level up and which aren’t. Even though he’s a big kid he doesn’t seem to get by entirely on body size, which is a good sign as far as I’m concerned.

Clarke I find hard to evaluate. I actually saw more of him last year than this year, but it’s like talking about two different players. 2015 edition Clarke was a dominant presence across half back. Intercept marking as a 3rd tall (you can play 3rd tall at 187cm in the TAC Cup…), run and carry and rebound. 2016 Clarke was a dominant coalface inside midfielder with a kicking accuracy problem. The reasons he’s pick 60something while Brodie and setterfield are top 10 is partly the aforementioned kicking, but partly the quality of his clearances. A high-quality clearance gets it to your man running forward in plenty of space. A low-quality one involves a short handball to a teammate under only slightly less pressure than you (though actually, being the recipient of this sort of handball is one of McGrath;s strengths) or a blind high snap around the corner to nodody in particular. Clarke’s clearances tend towards the low-quality. As mentioned re Mutch above, inside mids are the type I find hardest to evaluate. Personally, I think if this guy manages to add his 2015 self to his 2016 self we’ll have an exceptional prospect on our hands. If not, I suspect his kicking and clearnace quality might be a serious issue.

As for the might-have beens - yeah, I’d have taken McC at 1, but I’ve spoken about that exhaustively elsewhere. It looks to me like the recruiting team was acting under instruction to find an inside mid and spent several picks on that. The strategy was probably fine - Watson, Goddard, Hocking, Howlett, Bird, and even Stanton aren’t getting any younger - but the opportunity cost concerns me a little. I’m a bit wary when a club spends an entire draft trying to find a player of type X - there’s a tendency to pick guys who are just lesser players simply cos they play the right position. Carlton’s 2010 draft when they spent every single pick stocking up on talls which were then delisted within 4 year is the obvious example of this. True, it was a very thin draft for talls, though, and the ‘sliders’ all of us on here were hoping for (Venables, Florent, Simpkin) predictably never happened. But (and without knowing much about Ridley) I would have been more confortable if we;d picked more of a diversity of types. I may just be being paranoid of course - I’ve hardly seena thing of Begley or Ridley and don’t know what they have to offer, but barring pick 1 there’s no pace in our draft at all, and barring the slightly middling Ridley, no height either. The most gaping hole in our list is obviously ruck depth, and i expect that to be addressed next Monday (probably via Smack) . But that;s really y only concern, and I’m not sure what we could have done differently with later picks to fix that anyway. I’m a fair bit less hyped than some about the quality of this year’s draft tbh, and given that, it makes SENSE to simply pick whatever best players you can regardless of position.

Im pretty sure if you went back and got Geelong's 2001 draftees pre-draft descriptions, most here would read them as vanilla and not too different to these players descriptions. Not to say they'll turn out like Bartel, Kelly, Gardiner, Johnson and Ablett, but that they don't have to be excitement machines or full of x-factor to be successes.

Time will tell.

Nah, They were all guns and Geelong were called as the draft winners that year

I’m genuinely surprised that people aren’t more pleased with how we went. My assessment:

Couldn’t really lose with pick 1 and we obviously ended up with a ripper.

I think we possibly reached a bit with Ridley but most ‘experts’ had him going around that range. Looks to have great skills and has obviously had a solid season playing multiple positions. Classic upside utility type that jackets always goes for in the 20’s.

Wasn’t overly wrapped to hear Begley’s name next at the time but since watching his highlights and doing a bit of reading I’m really impressed. Just looks a natural footballer, stocky build, great goal sense and an accurate penetrating kick. Reminds me of Tory Dickson a bit. Also happy to read that he dropped plenty of weight already and posted some promising combine test scores.

The last two picks I’m really happy with. I was really barracking for Mutch to come to us. Like his game, genuinely can’t tell if he is a left or right footer, gets a tonne of the ball and always stays involved in the game. Clarke, aside for the kicking issue has some really great AFL traits I think as well. I think at worst we have picked up two grunt midfielders that will get the best out of themselves by working really hard. At best we have Moneyballed the hell out of it as plenty had these two rated in the top 25.

And add MGrath who is speedy. Zerret has pace, so does Zaka, Parish isn’t slow.
Ben, that’s a strange statement.

I reckon this will be a draft where will come out looking like geniuses or idiots

It was a ripper crop this year and I’m underwhelmed with what we ended up with TBH

You are going to have mammoth egg on your face in 2 seasons time.

Hopefully.

For the record, guys, Russell Morris is playing a concert next door right now. (This is the Perth Western Suburbs after all) so I am signing off for the night… He just started into “The Real Thing”.

Very good draft for us. Couldn’t be much happier

Who are our legitimate line breakers?

Yep, if you remove everyone from the team that has pace, then the team lacks pace?

Really?

Who are our legitimate line breakers?

Colyer, Walla, Fantasia and hopefully McGrath and McKenna.
Very good draft for us. Couldn't be much happier

Care to elaborate on what you’ve heard of the players. Your sources are usually interesting.