Draft wrap up

brilliant draft. All have midfield potential. All are strong characters.

Take colyer, Raz and Walla out of our side and aside from Morgan we would be one of the slowest teams in the AFL, we really needed pace

Why would you take them out though?

Mckenna is quick. Long is still listed, Eades might still be rookied.

I reckon weā€™ve had substantially slower lists.

And add MGrath who is speedy. Zerret has pace, so does Zaka, Parish isnā€™t slow.
Ben, thatā€™s a strange statement.

Who are our legitimate line breakers?

McGrath, Walla, Colyer and razā€¦ Donā€™t need more than that

Time will is the true test but reading the names.now (somewhat drunk) the feeling.is.ā€œmehā€

Take colyer, Raz and Walla out of our side and aside from Morgan we would be one of the slowest teams in the AFL, we really needed pace

And add MGrath who is speedy. Zerret has pace, so does Zaka, Parish isnā€™t slow.

McGrath, Walla, Colyer and razā€¦ Donā€™t need more than that

McGrath too, only Colyer right now is a midfielder though.

time will tell, but reckon we blew a monster opportunity to set the clubs midfield up for the next decade.

so much hinges on how our later picks pan outā€¦

What ? The draft clearly addressed our midfield needs - Clarke, Mutch and Begley are midfielders - McGrath willspend time in the midfield and Ridley is the utility - This draft haul sets us up to attack talls in the 2017 ND.

I am very happy with the draft.

Overall, Iā€™d say Iā€™m ambivalent, I like the players but less so the strategy. McGrath aside (I was a McCluggage proponent, but whatever, McGrath will be fine), we clearly werenā€™t taking a ā€œbest availableā€ approach, as evidenced by the fact that we took extra time on all of our picks, something which you wouldnā€™t need to do if youā€™re just running down a list. Thatā€™s fine, ā€œbest availableā€ is overrated outside the first round anyway in my opinion, but it does mean we were very deliberately looking for the replacaments for Watson/Hocking/Howlett type midfielders rather than small forwards or ruckmen or whatever else.

I appreciate the need to bring in replacements for an ageing corps of clearance mids, and from that point of view I think our last three picks are a good bunch. I am less convinced that our need for those replacement players for 2-3 years down the track is more pressing than our need for class, speed, creativity and goalkicking right now. If you think weā€™re all good on that front, then Iā€™d agree we had a good draft.

I understand the lingering concerns about our listā€™s lack of speedā€¦perhaps itā€™s because all our pacey players are shortā€¦ would be nice to have a tall rangey type like that Rotham guy, something like a Gary Rohan, just to add a different dimension to the list.

Is it because the last premiership team was full of pacey colored guys.

God, give it a rest why donā€™t you?

I understand the lingering concerns about our list's lack of speed...perhaps it's because all our pacey players are short... would be nice to have a tall rangey type like that Rotham guy, something like a Gary Rohan, just to add a different dimension to the list.

That would be Ridley wouldnā€™t it?

TBH disappointed in picking McGrath. Very keen on the other two and for me there was a gap to third. Having said that I have no doubt heā€™ll be a very good player for us for a long time. Looking forward to be proven wrong.
Time for us to finally lure back a gun when Setterfield returns to the club he loves in two years. Get that done Dodoro.

Thought the draft got for better as we went on. Happy with Mutch, and Clarke was a good pick back there.

Didnā€™t mind Ridley - was thinking of him for our 3rd pick. We were unlucky at 20. The top 20 went as planned which is quite unusual. You normally get a couple that slide - Laverde style. Had a list of 4 or 5 that kept getting picked off in the teens. Felt like throwing the remote when the Swans took Hayward the pick before us.

Not sure about Begley - might have gone Battle with that pick. Although never fulling sold on Battle either - especially after seeing that video with his car.
All and all not bad. A little frustrating at pick 20.
Feel like our picks lack a bit of X factor.

Is it because the last premiership team was full of pacey colored guys.
O_O

I wanted mcluggage but McGrath breaks 11 seconds for 100m and tested exceptionally for repeat speed.

Walla, Laverde, Parish, McGrath, Morgan, Fanta, Zerret, Colyer, McKenna, Long.

Why did Taranto go over Mclugg? Wouldnā€™t GWS want him?

McGrath?

Why did Taranto go over Mclugg? Wouldn't GWS want him?

I had a dream about that.

I think you are letting your displeasure at the absence of an indigenous recruit effect your thinking, given the athletic strengths of our #1 pick.

So, we got McGrath, Ridley, Begley, Mutch and Clarke. So thoughts, opinions?

My thoughts.

Couldnā€™t give a stuff on which Mc we got. Both sounded exceptional. We got the one with better pace, clearance work and disposal. Iā€™m happy with that even if heā€™s a short ā– ā– ā– ā– , kicks less goals and doesnā€™t rack it up as much.

Blitz actually seems to have been on the ball with the draft. Although the order differs, we probably could have gone close to picking the first 20. Which means the likelihood was that weā€™d know the names to come less. Personally, I donā€™t know these guys. But I like what I read.

We got two clearance guys which was a future need. To replace Watson/Myers and upgrade Bird/Hocking/Hewlett. Both were steals in the sense they went muck later than expected. Our two higher picks went on utilities, both a little stronger at ends opposite to each other. One may step into Hibberdā€™s role, the other gives us a very good kicking forward/mid. Both have upside.

Overall I think the mix is good. I didnā€™t think we needed talls, and we didnā€™t take one. We covered most smalls bases other than Benfti excitement machine. Overall Iā€™m satisfied with what we got, but time will tell.

You have to think we did alright when Emma Quayle leads with our club as one of three clubs that won the draft. If she has that opinion then Iā€™m comfortable that our result was good. Brett Anderson also thought we killed it.

That being said I look at 75% of the clubs and who they took and think to myself geez, they did alright. Is this because I spent so much time on this crop of youngsters compared to other years? Is it because we had the #1 pick? Probably. Most of who I wanted at our later picks were gone in the top 25.

If three of these end up solid regular players itā€™s a win. Anymore than that and it will be looks on as a super draft for us.

Ive been lucky enough to meet some of the kids in this yearā€™s draft - mostly through Sandy Dragons. For those not convinced McGrath was the right choice, I can tell you that he is a highly respected leader and I think a number of draftees might want to play with him again when their contracts expire in 2 yearā€™s time. He could deliver us Hodge like on field leadership and is a class act off the field. Dylan Clarke is also a wonderful kid desperate to get the most out of himself. His parents are great people and his brother has helped him be prepared for what it takes to make it at AFL level.

Interesting that we opted to draft Victorian lads with every pick. A coincidence or a bit intentional?