Draftee vs Draftee

He’s too small.

Barely passable as a pinch hitter in the VFL, where the gun ruckman is about 194cm.

Mosquito
Gown
Jok
Ham

A Mosquito got up Hams Gown and bit him on the Jok.

2 Likes

Hams doesn’t play for essendon anymore.

Like many I will be on the Irving Mosquito bandwagon but I really like what I have read about Ham. Not sure where he will fit in but I think he has some really exciting attributes.

Of course I will be supporting all of the players.

2 Likes

How many bandwagons can one person be on? If it unlimited I’m taking the mozzie wagon for a ride.

The beauty of these draftees is that none of these lads are a lock, but they all have massive upside.

Picking a favourite means projecting what they could become, mixing it with the likelihood of that, and adding in a dash of what type of footballer you prefer.

It’s a thread of hope and dreams.

((and yes, we all want them all to have awesome careers))

3 Likes

I like the look of Gown, looks to have strong hands and reads the ball well and is physical. Love the fact that he hasnt played a heap of footy but has come from an elite system, Dodoro upside tall.

1 Like

Dodoro has a very good record in picking talls, so there is a good chance Gown can make it. He has a couple of years to bulk up and learn his craft when he could become a KPF alongside JD.

All have upside but I really like the look of Ham. Doesn’t appear to have elite breakaway pace, but he is a lefty which means he will often get more time than normal by wrong footing his opponent. Every one of us that has played at any level knows that it doesn’t matter how strongly we know an opponent is a lefty, we always get fooled when they feint to the right. Like Gown he appears to read the ball well also, which also gives him a little bit more time. I’m going on the Ham train, which is a bit like a Sushi train where you get to pick and choose the bits you like.

Irving is gonna Irving, but I do worry whether he is emotionally ready for the strain that AFL will be. Just get the feeling at this point in time that he may not be ready for the reality or the scope of the hard work ahead of him. Not saying he won’t work hard, because I believe he will, much like Walla I think he is driven, but if it doesn’t happen for him early he could become disillusioned. That bubbly personality may struggle with the rigours of being a full time professional.

Jok has the athleticism and I really liked the way he presented, but he has been in an AFL/VFL environment for a couple of years now, so is more likely to feel comfortable at this stage of his career, he would understand implicitly what is entailed in becoming an AFL footballer.

Gown could be very good, but I do worry that his height is not much more than many midfielders nowadays, and well down on many KPD’s. Time is the key here. Seeing how he can handle the bigger bodies at VFL level and then AFL level.

3 Likes

I just finished watching the interviews with our new recruits.

All well spoken young men.

Reckon the younger girls (and this old girl too)are going to be fans of Ham, such a cutie.

Gown reminds me of Stephen Kernahan, hope he becomes as good as he was.

Tom I reckon will be good in time.

Mozzi hopefully will become what we want him to. Between him and Walla hoping we get the ‘dynamic duo’

So all in all cannot decide, hope they all make it.

2 Likes

You worry too much.

1 Like

Hope he kicks straighter when going for a match winning goal after the siren.

7 Likes

Each time I see the thread title I think of this…

https://goo.gl/images/gWG2He

He may well still be growing a little, only 2cm short of Josh Kennedy (WC), seems very solid and uses his body well to unbalance opposition backs.

With his basketball background has a very good 360 degree awareness and uses the space he creates with his bodywork.

So I am hopeful for Gown, hopefully he will take over from Smack and Hooker as our strong bodied full forward option.

I am loving that Jackets has loaded up on x factor with all the draftees, if they all make it we will have an insane selection dilemma.

Feels like a good time to be a Bomber supporter after a bit of a lean trot.

5 Likes

Hang on, what do they list Kennedy as? As he was 194 when drafted…

I’m surprised with Gown’s “basketball background” ™, as a late to the game “tall for a mid, not that tall for a KP” forward, no one has suggested that he might grow into a mid. :slight_smile:

SCarey with the Understatement of the Decade.

2 Likes

Scarey has a very positive disposition. Makes the Black Knight from Monty Python look like a wimpy gloom-monger.

2 Likes

@redbull made a good comparison with Tex Walker (193cm), he is already taller than him, and uses his body similarly.

1 Like

A Spielberg movie?

Jok Jok and the Search of the Later Day Stants.