Dreamtime 2023 review thread

Essendon supporters could not be responsible.
Article refers to three Tiger fans walking past and draping the Essendon jumper on the fence.
If it’s in the Daily Mail it must be true.

1 Like

Reminiscent of the time the kids in my primary school wrapped up Alan Jeans’ dog in red and black streamers post the 1984 GF

4 Likes

As small forwards, are they doing enough?

Yes they pressure, but are they scoring enough goals? Are they involved with enough goals assists?

I think it’s fair to question their selection as forwards if they fail to find the goals.

Our talls weren’t firing, so our smalls needed to step up. Menzies and Duzza did with goals and pressure acts. Did Tippa and Junior do enough?

These are the average per game stats for Menzie, Davey and Tippa for 2023:

To me Menzie is the clear leader out of the three. The other two need to kick more goals.

They are lucky there isn’t much competition for their spots at the moment, however with Guelfi just around the corner they could be in the firing line to be dropped.

Amen. Seriously wish that some of them would just ■■■■ off. And they genuinely believe their negativity is helping the club, and that they alone are the enlightened ones who realise that we’ve been poor for 20 years.

5 Likes

In the last quarter Langers put in a great chase on Daniel Rioli, with the pressure probably contributing to Rioli messing up the bounce. Langers then proceeded to push Rioli off the ball, gather the ball and blast it blindly out towards the wing. A better play would’ve been to tackle Rioli, which would’ve resulted in an automatic dropping the ball free.

Which made me wonder - have they changed that rule? It’s still dropping the ball if you’re tackled after your bounce doesn’t come back to you, right? And, assuming it hasn’t changed, surely Langford’s aware of the rule … ?

1 Like

probably cause Rioli lost control of the ball so was no longer ‘in possession’, whereas if you bounce while being tackled you still technically are

that was low key hilarious though watching langers just swat him away after he made a fool of himself

1 Like

Sweet child, you underestimate the umps.

9 Likes

Unless you’re Kevin Bartlett, its dropping the ball. Otherwise it was holding the man for KB

1 Like

It was pretty funny. But I’m sure you’re wrong on that rule. If you bounce and the ball doesn’t come back to you are deemed to be still in possession - I just checked, the rule hasn’t changed. An opponent can tackle you and you’re automatically gone. The only question is, at what point are you deemed to be no longer in possession? Surely once another player takes possession you’re off the hook.

Having said that, if Kyle had tackled Rioli there’s no question it’s HTB.

From memory they changed the rule specifically because of KB and even referred to it informally as the Bartlett rule for a while.

2 Likes

You’re right on the technicalities but that’s asking a bit for a split second decision - doubt they train for it.
Winning the ball is rarely a bad decision.

3 Likes

It would be before that. If someone correctly disposes of the ball by hand or foot on being tackled, they are no longer in possession. Then should* be no HTB.

• Actual mileage in a game may vary.

Regarding Redman hand balling off to Hind being part of the set play, it isn’t that rigid. No AFL set plays are as rigid as NBA or NFL plays. There’s too much randomness to our game.
It comes down to giving the player options to make a decision during the game.

A lot depends on where the forward players are actually located in the play. If they were closer towards the goal line, then Redman and Hind keep running the ball up. If there is a decent forward target inside the forward 50, then by all means, use it.

The set play will also have themes applied to it. You’ll notice at around the ground bounces that players will gamble between being the ring around the contest or inside the contest. This play would have a preference towards one way or another too. Whether it actually is applied that way depends on what the opposition is doing to combat you.

This is the difference between Rutten and Scott. Under Rutten, they did what he asked, but it was too rigid and didn’t allow for the players to react what the opposition are doing.
Under Scott, there is a framework that creates options. And it’s up to the players to choose what they think is the best option at the time. The correct option they take one game, won’t be the correct one the next.
This is another reason why Scott mentions every few weeks the ‘players will make mistakes, so he’s not too worried about the mistakes themselves’.
If all things go well, we train in the habits across multiple pre-seasons so that when those options come around, they react to them and don’t need to think it through. That is pretty much what footy is about now. They have very little time to think things through and just have to react.

3 Likes

From sash podcast - Hot takes
Im Everlong for Durham

Nine years we waited for a win
Sammy Durham
too long we just looked so ■■■■
Sammy Durham
Shiel out it couldn’t get much worse
Out in front
Sammy Durham
And I wonder
After all these years
If everything could be like this forever
The lid is off and i’m convinced again
We got to promise not to lose the west coast next week
Sammy Durham

7 Likes

Is it a poem or a song ?

Re-worded Foo Fighters song.

The original:

1 Like

was a song, audiio wasn’t great.
The fan sends a song in every week

1 Like

The Sash Podcast.

Approx 50mins in.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the guy cant sing very well, though the acoustic guitar is decent.

I’ve listened to songs sung by the Coodabeens on their show over the years.

Having not a great voice or singing very well adds to it I reckon. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes