Drop bears? Move over for the new Drop Croc!

http://www.news.com.au/national/crocs-can-scale-trees-and-fences/story-fncynjr2-1226827030792

Crocs can scale trees and fences

• 5 HOURS AGO FEBRUARY 14, 2014 11:21AM
030737-0ca4ca4e-9453-11e3-9662-9a1903bae

A new study by a team of international researchers, including NT scientist Dr Adam Britton, has found crocodilians can climb trees. Pictured is an American alligator. Pic by Kristine Gingras Source: Supplied

DROP bears may not be real worry, but what about drop crocs?

Crocodiles can climb trees, and disturbingly, even high fences, according to a new study.

An international team of researchers, including an Australian scientist, has compiled a report on the largely unknown climbing abilities of crocodile and alligator species around the world.

The study, recently published in science journal Herpetology Notes, found climbing behaviour is common among crocodilians, which may function as a way of gaining a better vantage point for finding prey, or getting to a basking area with maximum sun exposure.

Northern Territory based researcher Dr Adam Britton, from Charles Darwin University, has witnessed some freshwater crocodiles 1.5m long climbing steep riverbanks, and even attempting to scale a 1.8m high chain-link fence.

“Crocodiles don‘t just sit on the bank and bask in the water, and occasionally go for a bit of a wander,‘‘ he said.

“They‘re actually really quite agile creatures and they‘re a lot more agile than we think.”

Saltwater crocodiles, which are far more dangerous than their freshwater cousins, have thankfully only exhibited climbing behaviour in their hatchling stage, becoming too heavy to shift their body weight into high places as they grow older.

Dr Britton said hatchlings of both species of Australian crocodiles were lightweight, with their relatively strong claws allowing them to climb brickwork — the cause of occasional crocodile farm escapes.

“Most crocodile farmers are aware how easy it is for crocodiles to escape from their enclosures,‘‘ he said.

“If you have a small enclosure with lots of baby crocodiles, for example, and if it‘s made of brick or rough concrete, you have to put a lid on it, or an overhang on it because otherwise, those animals will be out.”

The researchers suggested the climbing behaviour may provide the reptiles with a better way of basking, or surveying their habitat.

Dr Britton said some crocodiles he had spotted climbing trees, when they were approached by boats, they readily fell into the water as a means of escape.

Townsville based wildlife consultant “Ranger” Dan Bamblett said was familiar with climbing behaviour in crocodile hatchlings.

“I‘ve seen that sort behaviour in hatchlings, when they‘re kept in a pretty small enclosure, and I suppose the drive to get out is pretty high,‘‘ he said.

Mr Bamblett, who had worked in zoos in the US, said he had observed adult Cuban crocodiles climbing trees.

“They climb so well into trees overhanging the waters where they live to get a good basking spot, sometimes they end up over six feet over the water‘s surface,‘‘ he said.

“You could be walking along and have a crocodile at head height.”

Won't be long until they master flight.

Or become Football writers for the Age

Maybe they already are !

Time for Koala to adopt crocs  :P

I love it whenever we have the yanks over for work. They’re already shot scared to go anywhere invade they get eaten, stung or attacked. Conversation always ends up on how many dangerous things there are in Australia, yet no ones ever actually seen them outside if a zoo.

I love it whenever we have the yanks over for work. They're already shot scared to go anywhere invade they get eaten, stung or attacked. Conversation always ends up on how many dangerous things there are in Australia, yet no ones ever actually seen them outside if a zoo.

That always makes me giggle, especially from the yanks. Sure, our water can be deadly, but on land, we have no lions, or Tigers, or wolves, or bears... They got mountain lions in the Hollywood hills ffs.
Sure, snakes and spiders are pretty full on, but I'd take that over being eaten alive.
Having said that, I have an extremely irrational fear of crocodiles for somebody who lives in Victoria.

I love it whenever we have the yanks over for work. They're already shot scared to go anywhere invade they get eaten, stung or attacked. Conversation always ends up on how many dangerous things there are in Australia, yet no ones ever actually seen them outside if a zoo.

That always makes me giggle, especially from the yanks. Sure, our water can be deadly, but on land, we have no lions, or Tigers, or wolves, or bears... They got mountain lions in the Hollywood hills ffs.
Sure, snakes and spiders are pretty full on, but I'd take that over being eaten alive.
Having said that, I have an extremely irrational fear of crocodiles for somebody who lives in Victoria.

ive just convinced the mrs that, should the opportunity arrise, we will go and live and work in th eUS. shes freaking out about guns being an issue. which is probably fair enough

Crocs are impressive beasts, no doubt about it.

Well hiking in The Territory just became way more interesting.

Taste very salty

Imagine they could fly, man they would be unstoppable.

Google Jaguar vs crocodile, and will see some amazing video of a Jaguar in South America stalking a croc, swimming across a river and killing it one snap.

I just read something on Facebook about flying snakes. Now we've got tree-climbing crocs.

How do you live out in the mulga, Reboot?

I just read something on Facebook about flying snakes. Now we've got tree-climbing crocs.

IIRC the flying snakes are only found in Cambodia. Boot should be safe.  

Stay tuned, next we here about a species of Croc that can grow a beard and play bass in modern hipster bands such as The John Butler Trio. Crocs are certainly open for any new trends.

Stay tuned, next we here about a species of Croc that can grow a beard and play bass in modern hipster bands such as The John Butler Trio. Crocs are certainly open for any new trends.

Clever of JBT to cash in on hipsters a decade or so early.

Maybe they can be the ukeleles it's compulsory for cute awkward looking girls to play on youtube.

Google Jaguar vs crocodile, and will see some amazing video of a Jaguar in South America stalking a croc, swimming across a river and killing it one snap.

Just don't wander too far from there on youtube though. You'll end up watching videos of people feeding rabbits to their pythons and mice to their frogs and piranhas and ■■■■.

Scientists have also caught, sorry "discovered", crocs using tools to disguise themselves.

Heaping mud & sticks on themselves as camouflage, scientists who discovered that said it was to appear like a floating log in a river, but I'm not trusting that.

Putting two and two together, don't let your kids climb trees, the next branch they climb out onto may well be a croc.

You have been warned.

Now it's Croc in a Snake!

Snake eats crocodile after epic fight in Queensland
	Date

March 3, 2014
  • 80 reading now
  • Read later

Snake swallows crocodile near Mt Isa

Alyce Rosenthal describes watching a water python strangle and then slowly eat a crocodile at Lake Moondarra in north western Queensland, Australia.

An enormous water python has devoured a metre-long fresh water crocodile following an epic duel that shocked onlookers at Lake Moondarra, near Mount Isa, on Sunday.

And that's not uncommon, according to University of Queensland snake expert Bryan Fry.

Mount Isa mother Tiffany Corlis captured the contest on camera, taking a series of shots that documented the huge snake‘s assault on the croc.

SB-snake_gall13-20140303141439466626-620Click for more photos
Snake eats crocodile

A snake battles to eat a crocodile at Lake Moondarra in Mt Isa. Photo: Marvin Muller

She was near the lake having breakfast when canoeists, who witnessed the battle playing out, alerted her to the struggle between the snake and crocodile.

Advertisement

By the time Ms Corlis started watching, the snake had already coiled its body around the crocodile and was beginning to strangle it.

‘‘[The crocodile] was fighting at the start, so it was trying to keep its head out of water and survive,‘‘ she told ABC North West Queensland Radio on Monday.

‘‘But as the morning sort of progressed, you could tell that both of them were getting a little weaker.

‘‘Finally, the croc sort of gave in and the snake had uncoiled for a little while and had a brief break and then actually started to consume the crocodile.‘‘

Snake expert Associate Professor Bryan Fry, from the University of Queensland‘s School of Biological Science, said while water pythons usually targeted smaller animals and rodents, small fresh water crocodiles were easy prey.

‘‘Crocs are more dangerous to catch but easier to sneak up on,‘‘ he said.

‘‘Up in Kakadu, for example, they feed heavily on small rodents but that‘s not to say they won‘t take the crocs as well.

‘‘The problem is they are risking being injured or killed, so they have to be judicious.‘‘

Associate Professor Fry said for a water python to successfully overpower and then devour a small crocodile, a lot more time was required than for smaller animals, which left the pythons vulnerable to attack.

Another witness Alyce Rosenthal said the battle probably lasted about five hours. By the time she arrived, the two combatants were at the point of exhaustion.

‘‘They were just pretty much laying there, waiting to die I would assume,‘‘ she told Fairfax Media on Monday.

‘‘It‘s not something that you see every day.

‘‘I‘m almost tempted to go for a drive and see if he‘s still laying there.

Associate Professor Fry said the feast would keep the reptile satisfied for about a month.

‘‘The longer it takes to swallow, the longer it is without a means of defending itself,‘‘ he said

‘‘Now it might go and find a hollow in the mud and tuck itself away for a while.‘‘

Ms Corlis said it was amazing to witness.

‘‘It was just unbelievable," she said.

‘‘We were sort of thinking that the snake had bitten off a little more than it could chew.

‘‘But it did. It actually ate the crocodile.

‘‘The aftermath showed the overstuffed snake lying still, where presumably it stayed for some time as it digested its dinner.

‘‘When you actually looked at the snake, you could actually see the crocodile‘s ridges, legs and everything inside its belly.‘‘

For many people, the picture of the monster reptile at the popular Mount Isa swimming hole may lead them to question the long held belief taking a dip in the Top End‘s fresh water was safe.

‘‘You can go to places up in Kakadu that are legendary spots for these type of snakes, there can be as many as 40 of them in one water hole,‘‘ Associate Professor Fry said.

- Kim Stephens with Kristian Silva and AAP

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/snake-eats-crocodile-after-epic-fight-in-queensland-20140303-33xz8.html#ixzz2uxEhvGal