Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

So HM, does that really mean that our entire playing list has been lily white over the last few years? Because I can’t recall much off field (beyond the saga of course), yet you’re saying anything and everything would be splashed. Why would the AFL’s interest in keeping a lid on him suddenly stop when he comes to Essendon?

I’m not really for or against getting him, others will know the off-field side better than I do. But he would be amazing on-field for any team. I ■■■■■■ hope he doesn’t go to Hawthorn.

So HM, does that really mean that our entire playing list has been lily white over the last few years? Because I can't recall much off field (beyond the saga of course), yet you're saying anything and everything would be splashed. Why would the AFL's interest in keeping a lid on him suddenly stop when he comes to Essendon?

I’m not really for or against getting him, others will know the off-field side better than I do. But he would be amazing on-field for any team. I ■■■■■■ hope he doesn’t go to Hawthorn.

I suspect no club is lilywhite (and I have no line to what goes on behind closed doors at EFC) but Martin’s history is not just a matter of a few little oopsies.

Guy is a train wreck. Dumb as a bag of mud, completely impulse driven, on the tear at every opportunity, listens to no-one and nobody, completely accustomed to the fact that others will wipe his ■■■■ for him cos he’s good at footy. The chopstick thing (remember that? It’s amazing how that conveniently went away once the AFL started talking to their cop mates…) only came out in the open because the target was from the media. It’s not the only similar case, just the only one that’s gotten publicity. Martin’s questionable friendships, problematic family connections, enthusiasm for substance-enhanced partying, and his utter inability to handle the basics of living an independent life are a matter of record, but (as of a few years ago - my sources have kinda dried up) Richmond lived in fear of Dimma getting woken up in the middle of the night by a call from the lockup. Struggling to keep him out of the legal system and out of the papers was a continual task, and without the influence of Richmond people like KB, Smith, and Caro in their respective media outlets, and the non-too-subtle influence of the AFL (who don’t want yet ANOTHER Richmond plummet down the ladder), it wouldn’t have succeeded.

He’s orders of magnitude worse than anyone I can easily remember at Essendon. And in bringing him across we’d be isolating him from his support system - those poor bastards at Richmond who’ve made a career of saving him from his own stuff-ups.

There is ‘non lilywhite’ and then there’s this guy. I mean it. Dayle frigging Garlett is of stronger character.

1 Like

The cost and stress of minders and welfare officers at a club ought to be a consideration.
Sometimes it improves if they go interstate where they are not recognised in the street and there are enough NRL bad boys to report about.

So HM, does that really mean that our entire playing list has been lily white over the last few years? Because I can't recall much off field (beyond the saga of course), yet you're saying anything and everything would be splashed. Why would the AFL's interest in keeping a lid on him suddenly stop when he comes to Essendon?

I suspect no club is lilywhite (and I have no line to what goes on behind closed doors at EFC) but Martin’s history is not just a matter of a few little oopsies.

Guy is a train wreck. Dumb as a bag of mud, completely impulse driven, on the tear at every opportunity, listens to no-one and nobody, completely accustomed to the fact that others will wipe his ■■■■ for him cos he’s good at footy. The chopstick thing (remember that? It’s amazing how that conveniently went away once the AFL started talking to their cop mates…) only came out in the open because the target was from the media. It’s not the only similar case, just the only one that’s gotten publicity. Martin’s questionable friendships, problematic family connections, enthusiasm for substance-enhanced partying, and his utter inability to handle the basics of living an independent life are a matter of record, but (as of a few years ago - my sources have kinda dried up) Richmond lived in fear of Dimma getting woken up in the middle of the night by a call from the lockup. Struggling to keep him out of the legal system and out of the papers was a continual task, and without the influence of Richmond people like KB, Smith, and Caro in their respective media outlets, and the non-too-subtle influence of the AFL (who don’t want yet ANOTHER Richmond plummet down the ladder), it wouldn’t have succeeded.

He’s orders of magnitude worse than anyone I can easily remember at Essendon. And in bringing him across we’d be isolating him from his support system - those poor bastards at Richmond who’ve made a career of saving him from his own stuff-ups.

There is ‘non lilywhite’ and then there’s this guy. I mean it. Dayle frigging Garlett is of stronger character.

Ok, that explains where you’re coming from! :wink:

So its not that we don’t have some cleaning up ourselves (probably), just that the order of magnitude that is spilled by this guy would overwhelm any new system. A bit like we had a lock on Lovett, but he blew up St Kilda inside 6 months.

The Yestin Eades thing barely raised a whimper.
If the AFL or media wanted to pound us, they would. They just need something or someone to trigger it.
Don’t think we have situation at this point in time.

If we were serious about getting him I would hope they would put him in a room with the leadership group so they could grill him, I reckon after that they would probably say not a fucken chance

X wants us to be the most inclusive club in the AFL, whatever that means.

Fk I hate memes!!

text

Consider we had Lovett that’s saying something!!

I just can’t see it happening.

Not only is our leadership group all cleanskins but there really isn’t any ratbags within our group at all.

I also think another club will sell the farm to get him. Probably Carlton.

In saying that his on field output would be amazing and the transition in losing Jobe would be seamless.

Also the butthurt from SWSNBS, KB and more Mayo would be pretty funny.

Too big a risk, as he is too big a DH. He would still carry on like a two bob watch. Great player, dodgy as can be person. We don’t need him.

Martin would fix all of problems.
Excepting those involving algebra.

Or any addition for that matter

Weirdly he is a savant for imaginary number theory though.

Martin would fix all of problems.
Excepting those involving algebra.

Or any addition for that matter

Weirdly he is a savant for imaginary number theory though.

So you’re saying he’s rooted in a negative sense?

1 Like

Jackets makes a big deal about the character of draftees, and their families. So it would mark a big turn around if all of a sudden we brought this guy in.

Better to pay a bit extra and make a pitch for Fyfe TBH. Better player, better character, and can string some words into a coherent sentence.

No, invest in what we already have. Need to lock away fanta and parish.

Hypothetical:

• we have 1 million spare in the salary cap
  • Nat Fyfe has just re-signed with Freo
  • Anyone else worth pursuing has re-signed
  • We have already signed up all our young guns on longterm deals

Would you sign Martin on a 3-4 year deal on a million a season or no?

To me it’s a no brainer.

#thisshouldbeapoll

No

Never

Can I try … … ?

NO ■■■■■■■ WAY!!!!!!!!

Hypothetical:
  • we have 1 million spare in the salary cap
  • Nat Fyfe has just re-signed with Freo
  • Anyone else worth pursuing has re-signed
  • We have already signed up all our young guns on longterm deals

Would you sign Martin on a 3-4 year deal on a million a season or no?

To me it’s a no brainer.

#thisshouldbeapoll

Heppel, Merrett and parish will be our A grade mids. Plus there’s a couple on the list who could join them in being very good mids. I think our midfield is looking very healthy for the future. If we did have a spare mill, it’s probably better spent elsewhere. A true A grade ruckman, or a key forward so hooker can go back. Despite the endless jokes on blitz, an AA quality hbf would help enormously too.