Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

[poll type=regular]

• Bring him in, lid off.
  • Chopstick a fork in him, he’s done.
    [/poll]THREE clubs are lining up to offer Dustin Martin at least $1 million a year to leave Richmond at the end of the 2017 season.

Adelaide, Essendon and St Kilda have made it known to Martin’s management they want the All-Australian midfielder.

The Herald Sun understands Adelaide’s offer of $6 million over five years has substance and if the other two teams want to be in the market, similar figures of years and money will be required.

Martin is contracted for the 2017 season and it would seem incredulous the Tigers would want to trade the Jack Dyer medallist this year.

More importantly, there is no indication Martin wants out of Punt Rd and it’s a possible a contract extension could be in the pipeworks.

The Tigers and Martin’s manager Ralph Carr have scheduled a meeting for tomorrow.

A move to extend Martin’s contract in the middle of this season did not eventuate and it’s understood the Tigers postponed those talks.

Martin is a free agent at the end of 2017 and the Tigers will want ensure they sign him as soon as possible.

The Bombers have been keen on Martin for several years.

Before Martin signed a two-year contract at the start of the 2015 season, the Bombers tabled an offer which would’ve paid Martin substantially more than Richmond did.

Martin, however, chose to remain a Tiger.

The Bombers’ interest in Martin has not waned and they once again are a serious bidder for the explosive onballer

The Saints have made it known they are in the market — and have salary cap space — to go after big-name recruit this off-season.

It’s believed Martin was paid between $600,000 and $650,000 this season and a new deal at Richmond would likely see him paid close to $1 million a season.

The Adelaide offer is far better and that’s because clubs have to pay overs to get a player such as Martin out of their club.

Martin’s productivity and durability is elite.

He is among the top five chances for this year’s Brownlow Medal and has missed just three games since making his debut in 2010. He has played 153 games in total.

There’s no question Martin loves the Tigers, but the 25-year-old also wants to play in a premiership.

Martin is said to be disappointed at the sacking of his long-time mentor Mark Williams, but gave no indication at the club’s best-and-fairest count that his future would not be at Richmond.

“‘Choco’ (Williams) — you’ve helped take my game to another level and I’m going to miss you around the club,” Martin said.

Martin has had his fair share of off-field issues, but thanked the club, including president Peggy O’Neal and chief executive Brendon Gale, for its support.

“Thanks to Peggy, Brendon and the board for sticking by me,” he said.

SURELY NOT!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/adelaide-essendon-st-kilda-prepared-to-offer-dustin-martin-huge-deals-to-leave-richmond/news-story/dd4fb166983b89fa06163df4462eeaec?utm_content=SocialFlow

PINGAS

BRING HIM IN

Would rather use pick 1 in the draft and keep control over our salary cap.
Great opportunity to draft a future gun with pick 1 and cost us minimal amount of salary cap.

If it was Fyfe I would be all for it.

Is there Dust in Martin?

Seriously dont wanna look at his ugly mug in red and black. we wont get him anyway

1 Like

Bring in Fyfe not Martin.

Wow.

Well the Tigers in a bind here. Discussions will have to be had and the decision made to back themselves to keep him or get nowhere near what they could now if they traded him to us.

Crows would be top 4 still next year and St Kilda would have to be around the mark for finals. They will not have high picks.

Makes that pick 1 trade for two top 10’s all the more interesting. And the Prestia trade.

But he is still a big risk to lose the plot and probably doesn’t a) fit in well with a conservative club like us b) fit in well with the cleanskin group of young guns we have and you wouldn’t want to affect that.

Why not both? Da da da da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…

Would rather use pick 1 in the draft and keep control over our salary cap. Great opportunity to draft a future gun with pick 1 and cost us minimal amount of salary cap.

What’s this got to do with pick 1??

Would look good in our midfield. Better than a poke in the eye with a chopstick, that’s for sure.

1 Like

I am shocked the saints are interested in this player.

First Ballantyne. Now Martin…

Don’t we have a no d*ckhead policy?

1 Like

we’re gettin used again.

oh well aslong as it forces others to pay more.

Exactly the type of player we need (skill set wise of course!)

Why not us ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-has-re-signed-with-richmond/story-fn69a32t-1226729952888
Not the first link between Essendon and Dusty. He would have been a lot cheaper back then!

Would rather use pick 1 in the draft and keep control over our salary cap. Great opportunity to draft a future gun with pick 1 and cost us minimal amount of salary cap.

If we want him we will have to trade for him, and even at the end of next year, Richmond will match the best offer and the club of choice will have to trade for him.

Not even going to get excited about this one.

Do we want him? And what would he cost?

If we want him we will have to trade for him, and even at the end of next year, Richmond will match the best offer and the club of choice will have to trade for him.

Even if it did happen, and it won’t, it wouldn’t be this year and I doubt we’ll have pick 1 next year.