Earthquake!

1 Like

Geoscience Australia reports show that 71 people in the town of 940 felt the ground move at 2.30am.

Iā€™m gonna go with GA not literally stating any such thing.

But they should have reported this as 69 were asleep and the two others wereā€¦ der, 69.

2 Likes
2 Likes

You would hope that this stark picture makes it easy to identify the decent local builders versus the dodgy brother types who cut corners.

2 Likes

Call me a cynic, but this happened late February and photos then showed mass devastation.

Hard for me to believe that it was all cleared in 6 weeks. I have done projects in Turkey and they are very competent, but very slow.

If true it is an amazing clean up.

1 Like

I doubt the whole cleanup is done, but clearing everything in an area that size is realistic. Just bulk earthmoving equipment. Thereā€™s probably towns that havenā€™t been started in earnest yet.

In five weeks ? We have had some houses in Maribyrnong get flooded months ago and they are still a shambles.

Erdogan has an election something like 40 days away. Imagine what you can do with 20 bulldozers and zero red tape or OHS considerations.

3 Likes

Based on the location of that - yep that would have been my 14yo letting one rip during his morning break.

6 Likes

Explains the ā€œexplosiveā€ noises as well!

Yep lets blame St Joes!

1 Like

Nah this is Blitz, this has Dodoroā€™s fingerprints all over itā€¦drafts too many tall skinny tectonic platesā€¦or is that too many midget tectonic plates ā€¦no waitā€¦too many tectonic plates that start in the back half and transition to the centreā€¦

5 Likes

@barry_day, Iā€™m a bit embarrassed that this made the earthquake thread. Shouldnā€™t it be in the loud party popper thread?

5 Likes

I enjoyed this line in the article:
ā€œThe Bureau of Meteorology said there is no tsunami threat to Australia.ā€

4 Likes

1 Like

We just got a tsunami alert on our phones over here in NZ so of course the kids have driven to the beach to see whatā€™s happening.

11 Likes

Tsunami warning lifted for New Caledonia, which would seem to be closest to the quake.

2 Likes
1 Like